• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I went to school with a girl named Gay. It must be fun when she introduces herself at a cocktail party these days.
    Venture Surplus ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Phrases like "Bums rush" have different meanings in different areas of the nation.

Growing up in Chicago, the "Bums Rush" meant that an unwanted or undesirable person was grabbed by the belt and collar and tossed out of a place.

Similarly, teardrop facial tattoos in Chicago were evidence that the person had killed someone. When I worked in the Texas prison system, Those same tattoos represented "the tears of the Offender's mother as her son was incarcerated." Each teardrop stood for one stretch in the lockup.

Flash

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    AustinN4 must be closer to my age. I remember the original meaning of "Bum Rush" too but it's been decades since I heard it used that way. It's now almost universally used to describe a quick attack, often by more than one assailant. I remember when "Gay" meant something completely different too.
    One more old guy for "throwing the bum out of the bar" - I feel so pretty & witty & ??

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Phrases like "Bums rush" have different meanings in different areas of the nation.

Growing up in Chicago, the "Bums Rush" meant that an unwanted or undesirable person was grabbed by the belt and collar and tossed out of a place.

Similarly, teardrop facial tattoos in Chicago were evidence that the person had killed someone. When I worked in the Texas prison system, Those same tattoos represented "the tears of the Offender's mother as her son was incarcerated." Each teardrop stood for one stretch in the lockup.

Flash
    Flash, I heard that sagging came from the prison system and it meant you would take it up the ass. Is that true?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    One of the most prevalent and misused words these days is Infidel. I would bet that the vast majority of folks here don't know what it actually means.

By definition a Christian, Jew or Muslim can't be an Infidel.

However, we have let our enemies determine our language usage.

Makes me cringe when I see people wearing those patches and a cross on their neck, if they only knew that they were denying their religion, and maybe stepping on the first two of the ten commandments.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    By definition a Christian, Jew or Muslim can't be an Infidel.
    From the link you posted: "Infidel (literally "one without faith") is a term used in certain religions, especially Christianity and Islam, for one who has no religious beliefs, or who doubts or rejects the central tenets of the particular religion."

Seems to me that definition would make a Christian or Jew an infidel to a Muslim, and would make a Muslim an infidel to a Christian or Jew.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I remember the older meaning of throwing out the bum. As in; the bouncer grabs the drunken "bum" and rushes him out the door. I also the full out charge as being used in the Ferguson deal.

It's now one of those things that can be used for both meanings, and should be interpreted in the context of the sentence.

He bum rushed me. Of course means the said person "he" charged at me.

He was bum rushed out of the movie theater. Means "he" was quickly and forcibly removed from the premises.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious.
    Yes, can be used both ways, but in the past never did. But how did it get that way? I just find it odd that the same phrase can mean both coming and going. And to the younger crowd that never new the original definition, it must seem confusing if someone used the original way just it was confusing for me to hear the new way when I had never heard it used that way before.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    From the link you posted: "Infidel (literally "one without faith") is a term used in certain religions, especially Christianity and Islam, for one who has no religious beliefs, or who doubts or rejects the central tenets of the particular religion."

Seems to me that definition would make a Christian or Jew an infidel to a Muslim, and would make a Muslim an infidel to a Christian or Jew.

Do some more research, it basically means one who does not believe in god, or has faith in god. Since all three religions believe in god, as the all-powerful and all-knowing creator, sustainer, ordainer and judge of the universe, it is in basic form the same god. Islam believes that the bible (yes, the same on we actually use as Christians) is actually a revelation from God (the same God). FYI, Muhammad actually traces his roots back to Abraham. Many of the main players in the Christian Bible are also significant in the Quran. The religions are more closely related than most think.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I think we're showing our age.
    "Rubbers" used to be worn on your feet to keep your shoes dry when raining.
    Being "down", used to mean you were sad about something instead of willing to try something.
    "Swiping" meant to steal covertly instead of something you do with a credit card.

"Gay" started changing in the 60's. You may have known a girl named but I worked with a guy whose last name was Gay (and had no sense of humor).

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There was a girl in my neighborhood who was named "Gay". I wonder how that turned out?

"Hocking" and "Gleeping" meant to steal something in Chicago.

A good guy was "solid" or a "cool head".

If you personally vouch for someone who is new, he is "cool" or OK". You damned sure better be right!

Sodas were always "pop".

MJ was "herb" or "weed"

Cops were "The Man" or "The Long Arm."

(In the Texas prisons, the Officers are "50")

Vendetta..."Today, tomorrow, next week or next decade, I'll get payback!"

A gun was a "heater" or "heat".

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I heard that sagging came from the prison system.

I never heard the term and Bonnie just arrived, so I asked her. She was a CO in a female unit but she never heard the term used either.

Incidentally, male Offenders don't turn "Gay for the state" as females do. They will have relationships with males and "pretend" that they're with a woman. That is not considered homosexual by the Offenders. It is a major "case" in disciplinary regs and will earn a "sex offender" tag when released. Good CO's, look the other way if the participants are discrete. There are some hard asses who will go out of their way to write that case.

Flash

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Do some more research, it basically means one who does not believe in god, or has faith in god. Since all three religions believe in god, as the all-powerful and all-knowing creator, sustainer, ordainer and judge of the universe, it is in basic form the same god. Islam believes that the bible (yes, the same on we actually use as Christians) is actually a revelation from God (the same God). FYI, Muhammad actually traces his roots back to Abraham. Many of the main players in the Christian Bible are also significant in the Quran. The religions are more closely related than most think.
    Yes, I am aware of all of that, but, UIAM, Muslims only use the old testament and not the new.

As to my post, I was using the definition you linked to and was referencing only the bold and underlined part, but am not going to respond further as I don't want this to turn into a religious thread.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    My moms middle name is Gay. I was born in early 80s and I always gave her a hard time about it and joked with her. She always said that it had a different meaning when she was growing up.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    There was a girl in my neighborhood who was named "Gay". I wonder how that turned out?

"Hocking" and "Gleeping" meant to steal something in Chicago.

A good guy was "solid" or a "cool head".

If you personally vouch for someone who is new, he is "cool" or OK". You damned sure better be right!

Sodas were always "pop".

MJ was "herb" or "weed"

Cops were "The Man" or "The Long Arm."

(In the Texas prisons, the Officers are "50")

Vendetta..."Today, tomorrow, next week or next decade, I'll get payback!"

A gun was a "heater" or "heat".

Flash
    look at you being all urban and thangs .welcome my brother

Top Bottom