• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cawdor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Houston
    I'm going to buy a new gun safe. I'd prefer to buy it from a local dealer, but the local dealer wants $1200 more for the same safe than the prices I've seen online.

Since I want to have it delivered and installed, i.e., not curbside delivery, I'd like to have it shipped to a local safe company.

Has anyone bought a safe online and had it shipped to a local safe company? If so, who did you use? Did you have any problems?
    Texas SOT

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i dont trust a stranger to come in my house and "set up" my safe. I had mine loaded in my truck with a forklift and then me and 6 other guys manhandled it into place at the house.
    I know that doesn't help...sorry.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Be careful doing that - the money you "save" can easily be lost via hidden delivery charges, or even the safe you THINK you are buying not being the one that's delivered.

ArchonXD40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Louisiana
    I have my eyes on a Browning gun safe at a local sports store for $899.Which is a good price for this safe compared to other places.
    I would have bought this safe last week if I had a way to get it home.The store this safe is located at has a delivery company they use
    for delivering these.They want $250 to deliver.The crazy thing is I only live less than 3 miles from this store.I only own a car at the moment and all my friends drive cars or suv's so I can't go that route.
    I thought about renting a U-Haul,but a U-Haul just has the drop down ramp.I would prefer a Tommy Gate.Don't know how I'm going to get it home yet without forking over $250 to have the safe hauled less than 3 miles.

Now back to the original OP's topic.I was thinking about doing something similar.Home Depot has several gun safes on there online website.Most of the safes say delivery included in the price of the safe.But I duno about ordering a safe online and having it delivered.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have my eyes on a Browning gun safe at a local sports store for $899.Which is a good price for this safe compared to other places.
    I would have bought this safe last week if I had a way to get it home.The store this safe is located at has a delivery company they use
    for delivering these.They want $250 to deliver.The crazy thing is I only live less than 3 miles from this store.I only own a car at the moment and all my friends drive cars or suv's so I can't go that route.
    I thought about renting a U-Haul,but a U-Haul just has the drop down ramp.I would prefer a Tommy Gate.Don't know how I'm going to get it home yet without forking over $250 to have the safe hauled less than 3 miles.

I believe that Home Depot rents P/U trucks by the hour with tommy lifts.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Now back to the original OP's topic.I was thinking about doing something similar.Home Depot has several gun safes on there online website.Most of the safes say delivery included in the price of the safe.But I duno about ordering a safe online and having it delivered.
    How can you live in a redneck state like Louisiana and not know someone with a P/U truck? I am trying to think if I know anyone who doesn't own one....lol

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let's look at this. I know the price seems high, but.....I own an F450 I use in my business.

Mileage - 11 mpg
    YOU are 3 miles away - but how far away is the guy having to go by, pick it up, then deliver and put it in place? How many helpers will it take?
    He's making NOTHING on the sale, so all he has to offer is his time and equipment. A running delivery vehicle is gonna cost him at least 4-5k. Even if it's just him and a helper, it's gonna take an hour (minimum) to get to the place and load it, and at least another hour to get it to your place and unload it. That's 2 hours....$125/hour. Two men - that's 62.50/hour. Now - are you going to be there during regular working hours, or after hours/weekend?
    Sorry....I ain't gonna start my truck for that kind of "profit"!

ArchonXD40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Louisiana
    Let's look at this. I know the price seems high, but.....I own an F450 I use in my business.

Mileage - 11 mpg
    YOU are 3 miles away - but how far away is the guy having to go by, pick it up, then deliver and put it in place? How many helpers will it take?
    He's making NOTHING on the sale, so all he has to offer is his time and equipment. A running delivery vehicle is gonna cost him at least 4-5k. Even if it's just him and a helper, it's gonna take an hour (minimum) to get to the place and load it, and at least another hour to get it to your place and unload it. That's 2 hours....$125/hour. Two men - that's 62.50/hour. Now - are you going to be there during regular working hours, or after hours/weekend?
    Sorry....I ain't gonna start my truck for that kind of "profit"!

As far as getting it loaded they would just take a forklift and set it back of delivery vehicle.All done by sports store not by delivery team.I would assume.
    Where do you figure an hour from leaving store to driving 3 miles down the road and dropping safe off?
    Me and one other guy the driver of delivery truck,should be able to maneuver the safe.If not,drop the safe at my front door and I'll have friends come over and help me move it into the house.And I would do this during regular working hours.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Rent a truck and a dolly from Home Depot. You can also buy a cheap dolly if none are available for rent.

You may also want to think about hanging around with a better (or worse) group of people.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As far as getting it loaded they would just take a forklift and set it back of delivery vehicle.All done by sports store not by delivery team.I would assume.
    Where do you figure an hour from leaving store to driving 3 miles down the road and dropping safe off?
    Me and one other guy the driver of delivery truck,should be able to maneuver the safe.If not,drop the safe at my front door and I'll have friends come over and help me move it into the house.And I would do this during regular working hours.

You're assuming a LOT here....but let's go with that and say they'll do so. How often do YOU pick up things from a supplier. I do so routinely - and by the time you get someone to load, complete the paperwork and be ready to hit the road again the average time is 30-45 minutes, and it can be longer. Bear in mind that if there's several folks ahead of them, they'll be there even longer - and since you have a "fixed price" delivery, it doesn't matter to you.

And if I'm delivering something, you will NOT touch it until it's in its' final resting place. I don't need you getting hurt, or "trying to be helpful" and causing damage - because experience has taught me that *I* will be the one paying for it. Drop it off at your door? Sure.....still have to unload it from the truck and dolly it over - that's two men - and as already stated, you won't be one of 'em. That's the reality of business today - created by those who will do something stupid and then want folks like *me* to pay for it.

I gotta tell you - it's actually a pretty decent price IMO, given what's involved. Then again, since it's obviously high to you - just go rent a truck and do it yourself. At $4/gallon, the days of $50 delivery fees are long gone.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Rent a truck and a dolly from Home Depot. You can also buy a cheap dolly if none are available for rent.

Let's see.......800 lb safe, 300 lb rated dolly......

stoopid.jpg

ArchonXD40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Louisiana

You may also want to think about hanging around with a better (or worse) group of people.

I will look into the Home Depot truck rental.From the looks of the type of trucks they rent I dont think this is the truck I want for the job.
    They may have other model trucks but I can't find any info online.
    truck.jpg

"You may also want to think about hanging around with a better (or worse) group of people."
    ?
    Please explain.

Top Bottom