• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    In reading Renegade post with the law states, unlike beer, it seems like it may not be a crime to buy it for the other guy.

Correct me if I am incorrect, but the law only applies to licensed dealers and not the general public.

Also, is there any law that prohibits the transfer of ammo to a person under age?

Would it be a crime (as in, is there a law on the books against it) for person 'A' to ask person 'B' who is 21+ to go buy the ammo for him???

Don't think the straw purchase law applies to ammo, right????

Not making a moral judgement on what is right or wrong, but want to see the actual legality of it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Please don't ask for ways to get around purchasing things legally.

I always treat these posts as if they are a newb Internet cop. Never know if its a setup so stay far away.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    In reading Renegade post with the law states, unlike beer, it seems like it may not be a crime to buy it for the other guy.

Correct me if I am incorrect, but the law only applies to licensed dealers and not the general public.

Also, is there any law that prohibits the transfer of ammo to a person under age?

Would it be a crime (as in, is there a law on the books against it) for person 'A' to ask person 'B' who is 21+ to go buy the ammo for him???

Don't think the straw purchase law applies to ammo, right????

Not making a moral judgement on what is right or wrong, but want to see the actual legality of it.

I've been questioned by members here for "stating 21 or older" in ammo WTS ads.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Here is the actual law:

18/44/922
    (b)It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;"

18 USC 922 also sets the minimum age to possess any type of firearm at 18. Several states still allow 18 year olds to own handguns. FFL's may be restricted from selling them, but it's not illegal under state or federal law for them to possess/own, so the same would make sense for ammo.

Whether you can buy it from an FFL or not, I can't find a single place in federal law it's illegal for an 18 year old to purchase ammunition. I also can't find any federal law prohibiting the transfer of ammunition to an 18 year old. Feel free to cite if you know.

I won't buy for someone else, but I'd happily give my 18 year old daughter ammunition if she wanted to make a trip to the range.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I can't find a single place in federal law it's illegal for an 18 year old to purchase ammunition. I also can't find any federal law prohibiting the transfer of ammunition to an 18 year old. Feel free to cite if you know.

It isn't, that is why I posted the law. It is only illegal for an FFL to sell handgun ammo to < 21, and you do not need an FFL to sell ammo.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Today, I observed an upstanding young man (perhaps 19 y/o) purchase two boxes of .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum. When the clerk rang up the purchase, she asked him if it was for a rifle or pistol.

He said "Rifle" and the purchase went straight through. Had he said "Pistol" the clerk would have had to check his ID.

That is plain stupid!

It is just as stupid to ask a customer if the .22 LR is for a rifle or pistol.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Today, I observed an upstanding young man (perhaps 19 y/o) purchase two boxes of .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum. When the clerk rang up the purchase, she asked him if it was for a rifle or pistol.

He said "Rifle" and the purchase went straight through. Had he said "Pistol" the clerk would have had to check his ID.

That is plain stupid!

computer asks that question. At work, it asks if the 22 LR is for a rifle or pistol... not just once, but for EVER. SINGLE. BOX. that you scan. I hate when a customer brings 10 boxes of 22, i have to scan, click dropdown menu, click rifle, scan, repeat. Ever single box.

And for the record, all the customers who buy ammo when i've rang up were older looking gents.

Last edited:

CarrilloP10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks for all the input guys. The gun show is coming up this weekend at the George r brown center. If I'm off I'm gonna swing buy and pick up some ammo if there is any.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

That is plain stupid!

If you want to mess with them a little, tell them it is for a machine gun.( totally different classification than a long gun or a handgun);)

Top Bottom