• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Had some extra time so I went to Cabela's off of 75. The ammo shelves were full so I thought it was good news that they had so much stock. Turns out that it was just a hodge podge of ammo randomly stacked all over with little rhyme or reason. Abundant 223 everywhere at inflated prices. The more I looked the more I laughed.

Holy Batman did they jack their prices! Even most of the common shotgun target loads were over the top. I looked at all of the calibers I shoot and walked out with just one. They had an ample stock of the Federal 556 XM193's for $9.99 which is borderline in price.

After the initial shock I left the bloated overpriced ammo shelves and went looking around cleaning supplies and other wares. Finally got over to the firearms racks and looked at some of the used stuff they had. Most everything there was also higher in price than just a few weeks ago by $40 and $50 dollar jumps.

Seems Calebla's is a little slow on jacking there prices for the panic aren't they? The store was dead.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Prices have been inflated at the cabelas near me for a while, but I never considered it the place to find deals.

I was surprised at the price of their shotgun shells though.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Prices have been inflated at the cabelas near me for a while, but I never considered it the place to find deals.

I was surprised at the price of their shotgun shells though.

I have never gone there for deals but ALWAYS walked out with one or two boxes of varying calibers since I was there. A few extra bucks for that instant gratification is okay every now and again. This is the first time I left saying I will make a list and go internet shopping for ammo.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I dunno Just bought a brick of 22 for 33 bucks to the door.

Ouch. I'm still stuck in the past I guess.

Right! I was paying $17 for 525 and questioning if I should do it. lol. Not turning this into a 22 bashing thread since they didn't have any but all of their crap was over priced which is why the shelves were bulging. There were around 10 guys milling around the ammo area all grumbling about the prices and buying just a box or two if that.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I pass near Walmart everyday so I try to stop by there and check for ammo. They tend to have the lowest stock and most reasonably prices.

Gonna have to start getting by there in the morning if I want a chance at .22 though.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cabela's jumped off the deep end years ago. It's been several years since they instituted a policy of, IIRC, requiring their sales people to get at least 50% profit out of every used gun, resulting in a majority of used gun prices being at or above NEW gun prices, and when they're below new prices it's usually not more than ~$50. About the only time you find a "good deal" there is when someone that takes in and prices the used guns gets something that's maybe obscure, didn't know what it was, and incorrectly priced it. Pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and Cabela's brand products are some of the cheapest quality, least durable, least reliable products available. I once bought one of their range bags and it was ripped to shreds from normal usage and carrying moderate weights (10-15lbs) within 3 months. About the only thing worth going there for is the buffalo bacon burgers in the cantina, the occasional good deal in the bargain cave that everyone else miraculously missed (not often), or the occasional used gun the sales person didn't have a clue on and incorrectly priced.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Cabela's jumped off the deep end years ago. It's been several years since they instituted a policy of, IIRC, requiring their sales people to get at least 50% profit out of every used gun, resulting in a majority of used gun prices being at or above NEW gun prices, and when they're below new prices it's usually not more than ~$50. About the only time you find a "good deal" there is when someone that takes in and prices the used guns gets something that's maybe obscure, didn't know what it was, and incorrectly priced it. Pretty ridiculous.

Oh, and Cabela's brand products are some of the cheapest quality, least durable, least reliable products available. I once bought one of their range bags and it was ripped to shreds from normal usage and carrying moderate weights (10-15lbs) within 3 months. About the only thing worth going there for is the buffalo bacon burgers in the cantina, the occasional good deal in the bargain cave that everyone else miraculously missed (not often), or the occasional used gun the sales person didn't have a clue on and incorrectly priced.

It's kind of sad since I really like going through their store. Where BassPro went tits up years ago for me I was very happy to have a new Cabela's come in closer than the FW store. Even though it "was" somewhat more expensive I like to buy their hunting clothes they stock since it fits me and the quality (not their stuff) has been pretty good in the field. While there I would buy some ammo. Just some boxes of this and that but nothing in bulk. Enough to satisfy that need to run the 44 Magnum or 22 rifle. Heck, I had never handled a Mosin before they had them on their used rack and I was considering buying one of those at $149 as I would have to pay shipping/ffl fee's somewhere else.

ooP! Not anymore

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, that explains the used gun prices. I always wondered why they were so ridiculous.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo

Forum statistics