• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Santa Monica College shooting victim and gunman identified - NY Daily News

The deranged California man who gunned down four people planned the violent spree and was “armed for battle” with a military-style assault rifle, a handgun and 1,300 rounds of ammunition, authorities said.

article-shooting2-0608.jpg

A part of the rifle used by the shooting suspect in Friday's crime spree is put on display for the media by the Santa Monica Police Department in Santa Monica, Calif.

Q: Why do they take the lower?
    Q: The still photo of the guy walking into the library shows a rifle without a large muzzle brake. Why does the upper in this photo show different?

article-gunman-0608.jpg

usa-california-santa-monica-college-shooting.jpg

Looks like 33 mags in this photo, as best as I can count. 33 x 30rds = 990rds

Q: #96 is not an AR mag. The gunman's handgun was an old revolver.

Santa Monica Police Department displays killer’s arsenal of weapons.

Q: The gunman had reportedly "1300 rounds". Not a lightweight load. Photo earlier shows 33mags (990rds). Plus the seven boxes shown
    Santa%20Monica%20Shooter.jpg

Black powder revolver, upper without a BCG or CH(?), and 7 boxes of PMC (20rd ea?) if 5.56/.223. What's in the clear plastic baggie?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    good for the people who work for APD. but how many other agencies in this state and across the country pay that well? were not just talking about big cities, its across the board state wide. Google search some smaller cities pay plans and its almost insulting. I personally am not complaining, but that's because I work every hour of OT put up. but to say that the 30-40k a year is worth while to put your life on the line is enough for some of those guys is messed up. and lets just say you are that cop who brings home 100K a year. do you think most of them would risk everything you mentioned to make some pathetic arrest or make up some BS for whatever reason? would you be a cop in Detroit for $30k a year?

But 17k-30k is enough for a soldier to put their life on the line? The most an E-1 with a family can make is 17k a year and the average E-6 E-7 makes 30-36k a year.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Santa Monica College shooting victim and gunman identified - NY Daily News

article-shooting2-0608.jpg

A part of the rifle used by the shooting suspect in Friday's crime spree is put on display for the media by the Santa Monica Police Department in Santa Monica, Calif.

Q: Why do they take the lower?
    Q: The still photo of the guy walking into the library shows a rifle without a large muzzle brake. Why does the upper in this photo show different?

article-gunman-0608.jpg

Looks like 33 mags in this photo, as best as I can count. 33 x 30rds = 990rds

Q: #96 is not an AR mag. The gunman's handgun was an old revolver.

Santa Monica Police Department displays killer’s arsenal of weapons.

Q: The gunman had reportedly "1300 rounds". Not a lightweight load. Photo earlier shows 33mags (990rds). Plus the seven boxes shown
    Santa%20Monica%20Shooter.jpg

Black powder revolver, upper without a BCG or CH(?), and 7 boxes of PMC (20rd ea?) if 5.56/.223. What's in the clear plastic baggie?

In the second picture.

There is something funny about the angle of the rifle and the angle of the shooters arm. Doesn't look right for someone carrying a rifle by a standard pistol grip.

I bet there I a better quality photo out there. It really seems like they are hiding the rifle used in the shooting.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought someone said he had a spare upper for his AR. And that could be a cartridge conversion 1858 clone.

Yes, the article says there is a spare upper, but why are they ONLY showing the spare upper?

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yeah the way he's holding the rifle is very strange. Looks like he's grabbing the bottom of the pistol grip with just the very tips of his fingers, if it was a conventional pistol grip. If it was a kali WTF stock that'd be the way to hold it since the 'grip' comes down and then continues going back until it turns into a stock past the buffer tube.

Plus they seem reluctant to show the rifle. Could be because it has a WTF stock/grip on it. I wouldn't put it past them to tamper with the evidence and replace the grip and stock with standard ones if photos do turn up later.

Think someone else mentioned the baby blue magazines were simunition mags.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    and do people understand how heavy 1300 rds are!!! plus carrying a spare upper? 930rds wont burn up a upper will it

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    and do people understand how heavy 1300 rds are!!! plus carrying a spare upper? 930rds wont burn up a upper will it

I don't think so (understanding how heavy that much ammo is).
    - ammo box w/900 rds is 30lbs.
    - one loaded 30rd mag is just over 1lb.
    - the AR he was carrying, generally, 7lbs.

On a semiauto, I don't think the guy could fire 930rds fast enough (if at all after fatigue sets in). Not to mention the heat off the rifle, if the guy could even hold it. I think the rate of fire needed to burn up the barrel is too high for a guy on the street to do. Below is why I think that.

Colt did some testing on barrel profiles to figure out what they needed to build for the military. So if you watch/read this it'll give you an idea of what it'll take to destroy a barrel. Barrel profile and fire rate affects the outcome.

Here's the story from 2010: The Making of the Military's Standard Arms, Part II - NYTimes.com

First vid:
    - The rifle used is the standard M-4 with a standard barrel.
    - Full auto, 30rdmag one after another
    - Barrel Droops: 1:20
    - Barrel Ruptures: 1:51
    - Shots Fired: 535

Second vid:
    - M-4 equipped with a thicker, heavier barrel, which is used on a specialized carbine, known as the M-4A1.
    - Barrel Smolders and Glows: 1:48
    - Guard Assembly Catches Fire: 2:22
    - Fails to Fire Automatic: 4:47
    - Shots Fired: 911

Pics of the barrel profiles in question
    M4_Barrels.jpg

Here's Part1 of the story for anyone interested: The Making of the Military's Standard Arms - NYTimes.com

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    and back to my point would campus carry made a diff?

Possible any carry could have. The guy was on the street before he went to the school. I maintain if the lady that drove by and yelled at him in her car would have run him over, that could have incapacitated him. So stopping the guy by the means that were available is all speculation. CC in the general public certainly would have increased the odds of an intervention, as would campus carry.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    thanks!! shorts, so him even if he burned it up. carrying a spare upper, into a combat situation seems to out of the question, dosent it?
    where would he carry it

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think you guys are giving this ass a lot of credit in the logic department. Who the hell knows what he was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if his knowledge of anything operational is video games and Hollywood.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I agree.. something is really screwy with this whole thing. Show us the gun he was carrying or the lower !!!!!

Yup, show the rifle!

So what they have pictured as the gunman's guns look the stuff in an old school gun guy's closet or the militaria table at a gun show - a big revolver and an old Colt A1/2(?; preban? SP?) upper with triangle (?) handguards and a long pinned (?) muzzle brake. (I saw such an old thing on gunbroker once or twice). Looks like someone pulled out crap from their gun room and say here, put this on the table.

(Oh no offense to you old guys who have this stuff in your closet :p).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think you guys are giving this ass a lot of credit in the logic department. Who the hell knows what he was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if his knowledge of anything operational is video games and Hollywood.

No one is giving this guy credit. (credit for what?). I'm merely discussing facts and firearms.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    No one is giving this guy credit. (credit for what?). I'm merely discussing facts and firearms.

Easy tiger, wasn't trying to argue. I was just pointing to the fact that the shooter was absent any rational thinking and that what you were discussing wasn't part of it his process.

Top Bottom