• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I was listening to a sports talk show this morning. I was amazed when all three of the host admitted not being able to change a tire. At least the woman in the group had taken a course in changing a tire and knew what lug nuts were, but was not confident she could change a tire ( WTF) where are all the Dads? My little Sister could change a tire before my Dad would let her drive.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's a whole new world. I've had my kids involved with basic car maintenance and problem prevention/mitigation since they were knee high to a grasshopper. Last thing I want is for them to be stuck somewhere because they can't work through something simple.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I was listening to a sports talk show this morning. I was amazed when all three of the host admitted not being able to change a tire. At least the woman in the group had taken a course in changing a tire and knew what lug nuts were, but was not confident she could change a tire ( WTF) where are all the Dads? My little Sister could change a tire before my Dad would let her drive.

Momma's boys

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    It's a whole new world. I've had my kids involved with basic car maintenance and problem prevention/mitigation since they were knee high to a grasshopper. Last thing I want is for them to be stuck somewhere because they can't work through something simple.
    Fortunately, when I was growing up you could work on your own vehicle. You didn’t need fancy scanners and a dealer’s garage filled with specialty tools. You could actually open the hood and see the ground. The best thing about Harbor Freight is you can buy tools for cheap and then go home and take a grinder to them to make what you need.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    You have to remember divorce rates are allegedly at about 50% or so for the last 3 or 4 decades. A lot of people grew up without fathers showing them how to do traditional manly stuff you may be used to. Don't shake your head in disbelief; help someone learn a life skill you see as basic regardless if they're men or women, 16 or 76.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I only recently got AAA at age 60 due to a major operation plus breaking my wrist in two places that will take a year to get back to normal. But I don't plan to renew since I've heard horror stories of 2+ hour waits. If you're in a very rural area...good luck with AAA.

My code scanner, jumper cables and my portable battery jumper (makes cables obsolete) all cost under $150 total. I can't believe so many people don't have these simple tools. Wife has a hybrid (no spare) so I did by a spare tire kit. A can of fix-a-flat or air pump doesn't help when a tire splits or blows out.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My neighbor's stepson called one day and said he had a flat and needed help. The neighbor told him to just change the tire and the kid started crying. He was at least 20 years old at the time. I think the kid ended up paying someone to change it for him.

I helped my son buy an old car when he was in college. Next day I made him rotate the tires. He was pissed. I told him it was better to learn during the middle of the day than to have a flat on a dark road in the rain and not have a clue where the jack or tire iron were. Sure enough, he wasn't off at school a week before he had a flat. "Did you have any trouble changing the tire?" No.

Parenting is about teaching your kid to survive, not about being his or her "pal".

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Anyone use Discount Tire? If you do there is a good chance you will not be able to change your tire too. They cross threaded 2 lug nuts on my truck a while back. Luckily I found out when I was getting a tire rotation.

Then I find that they can’t finish the job because the are not able to replace the lug nuts they cross threaded.

They farm all of that out because they only break shit, not fix it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Anyone use Discount Tire? If you do there is a good chance you will not be able to change your tire too. They cross threaded 2 lug nuts on my truck a while back. Luckily I found out when I was getting a tire rotation.

Then I find that they can’t finish the job because the are not able to replace the lug nuts they cross threaded.

They farm all of that out because they only break shit, not fix it.
    Like a tire place back in Oregon, discount tire here in Texas has good locations and bad ones. The one in Waxahachie and oak cliff are good. I have had other locations hire complete tards.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My dad helped me buy my first truck, had a broken connecting rod, rebuilt an engine before I could drive. Thanks dad, smart guy.

Taught my daughters to check fluids, change a tire, oil, fuses. Of course they never do but they know how. Wanted them to know enough not to be fleeced at a shop also.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It’s not uncommon. Men aren’t being raised to work on cars anymore. As a kid my dad made me watch him replace water pumps, rear mains, spark plugs and so on.

I never experienced a tire blow out in my life but I believe that’s because i became very knowledgeable in the health of our tires. Tires are something people need to pay more attention to. I have witnessed tires blowing out and it’s almost always the same: lazy people running tires that shouldn’t be on the road. At no point will a good ten ply just blow up. It’s people that run tires down to 2-3/32, don’t rotate, and think cracking is ok.

But then if people can’t change a tire I don’t expect them to plug it either. That’s another complaint. Plug kits used to work. They are trash now.

It’s all a mechanical aptitude that’s going away. Every father should show his kids the underside, under the hood of, and a car with a rim off. Look kids, look how it all works. That’s all I needed.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I found this out back when my wife was really sick. The late night drives to Waco or College Station for the ER made me think I better make sure my vehicles are in good shape for the hot & hour & half rides.

I used Discount forever & that was in Houston. I drove to Palestine as its the closest discount Tire to me since moving. I go in for a rotations & next thing I know some short dude is informing about the two messed up lug nuts. So I tell him so fix it seeing as Discount Tire did it.

The dude gets his Napoleon Complex in a bunch because I didn't have it done there. I thought I was going to have to smack him with my cane as he was in my space.

The guy on the front got it all figured out by finding me in there computer. Of coarse his solution was nothing that wasn't going to work for me. I did drop Discount Tire Corporate an e-mail explaining sick wife limited time to leave her alone & it finally got taken care a week later buy me going to Toyota next door to fix their phuc up.

Top Bottom