• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    1. My oldest male grandkid was raised doing work with his dad on cars, but it never took. A member of Gen Z, his ambition was to get an education and have a desk job. He pays to have his lawn mown, orders meals delivered, and pays to have clothes ironed/starched. Oy vey!

And...?

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    There was nothing more dumbfounding to me, than as a police officer/supervisor, getting my uniform dirty changing a tire for a 30 year old in a military uniform who had no clue how to change his tire. I had no problems helping women and old people. I even took great joy helping woman change tires as their husbands stood by just watching. A few times it was interesting with different models that had panels to take off and devices to release tires. But easy to read in the owners manual…

Heck I don’t know how many tires I changed, including on patrol vehicles driving through new housing areas picking up nails every few weeks at times in the summer.

But unless in a rush, I pay for road side service on my vehicles.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    You have to remember divorce rates are allegedly at about 50% or so for the last 3 or 4 decades. A lot of people grew up without fathers showing them how to do traditional manly stuff you may be used to. Don't shake your head in disbelief; help someone learn a life skill you see as basic regardless if they're men or women, 16 or 76.
    Nail on the head. Alot of older people dont understand that when they die, a “library burns”. Spread your knowledge to the younger folks. I always appreciate it when I gain knowledge from the older generations

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

By my age, I’ve changed many tires, but now it would take me a half-day. We use AAA, but whenever I go away from civilization, i take all sorts of extra equipment for ‘’just iin case’’.

<>

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Cars today have no spare as the drivers know not how to change one. Couple of years ago we had a meeting with a potential client. Big bucks involved. Me and thd boss their sales guy missing. He shows up after meeting is over, had a flat and waiting on AAA. Boss and I closed the deal. He cleaned out his desk tne following week and I got a raise.

Another time a gal fl as ga me down on the interstate. She had a flat and needed help. I get the flat off and spare on. Putting Jack aw as y when the soy boy gets out of car where he was sleeping in back seat. I rolled the tire into the ditch and told him to go get it. Girl laughed, asked where I was headed and met me there and bought me a few drinks. Best part she made soy boy pay for his own

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    After tire rotation/balancing or replacement, I try to remember to loosen the lug nuts when I get home. Then torque them.

Like some others, I have had instances where an impact wrench almost would not remove the lug nut it was so over-torqued at the shop.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One of my mom's proudest achievements was winning the tire changing contest at the Air Force base where she worked. Her normal job was working in the shop that rebuilt electric motors off airplanes. Every year there was a big public event and part of the festivities included a tire change against the clock. Someone from the motor pool always won until one year mom decided to enter.

Damn shame I can't remember her time. She never forgot it, though.

It tickles me to think of my teenaged mom sitting in a driver's seat, waiting for the whistle to jump out and change a tire as fast as she could.

So while it fell to my dad to teach me to change tires, mom taught me how to rebuild starter motors. She could have easily handled both tasks.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I met my wife back in our street racing days, that girl would hustle a kid for his last $7. We would spend weekends working on others' cars for the mod money to put into ours. Mostly heads, cam, headers 'packages' that were so popular at the time. She'd take one side of the engine bay, I'd take the other. Friday night we'd tear down to the shortblock, clean up for dinner, and Saturday morning button it back up and deliver. But of all her talents, one of them is NOT keeping clean. Head to toe, I swear there'd be more grease on her than left on the car. :)

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I met my wife back in our street racing days, that girl would hustle a kid for his last $7. We would spend weekends working on others' cars for the mod money to put into ours. Mostly heads, cam, headers 'packages' that were so popular at the time. She'd take one side of the engine bay, I'd take the other. Friday night we'd tear down to the shortblock, clean up for dinner, and Saturday morning button it back up and deliver. But of all her talents, one of them is NOT keeping clean. Head to toe, I swear there'd be more grease on her than left on the car. :)
    Y'all are a real version of the Fast and the Furious

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Funny story about F&F. The day the original movie opened we contacted the theater on 290, and had a dozen'ish muscle cars parked up on the big apron in front of the ticket windows. We were of course excited about a movie that was performance and street racing related, but not quite so happy that it ultimately launched the ricer years. Every kid with a Civic suddenly thought he could hang with a Camaro. When that didn't work, he'd go buy the biggest wing and muffler he could find, only to lose even worse.

Worse is it brought a bunch of really bad attention to the street racing scene, and you started seeing drinking, broken bottles, people doing donuts in intersections, idiots weaving in and out of traffic and calling it "racing", and all that other nonsense. We were at the big Houston bust the night they blocked everyone in near Brittmore Rd. with a couple dozen cops, the helicopter, etc. Cops show up and people start scattering like cockroaches, driving through ditches, climbing in culverts, generally just freaking out. Back up a bit, shortly after we arrived the nonsense started, so we tucked the cars back between some semi trailers so if one of those knuckleheads got too out of shape, we had a chance of not getting whacked. Our plan was to wait for the crap to calm down and make our way out of there, but the bust happened before that opportunity. Anyway, cops start walking around to talk to everyone, and he asks if we were doing any racing that night. Laughing, I was like "You know we weren't, y'all have been out here watching this bullsh&t. Just waiting until we could make it out of here without getting in a wreck." He smiles back and says no worries, we'll get you out of here when we can. They just logged everyone's DL on the way out and that was that.

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Same thing to me happened when I was about 21 on my girl friend’s Dodge. Broke 2 lugs off, got 3 off and changed the tire. Got home, replaced the 2 broken lugs and had the flat fixed. Stupid Chrysler, but I never forgot that lesson.

Same except I was about 17 and the car belonged to my girlfriend's grandmother. She always went to the local shop, I was going to impress her by taking care of it instead. She was not impressed.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    One of my mom's proudest achievements was winning the tire changing contest at the Air Force base where she worked. Her normal job was working in the shop that rebuilt electric motors off airplanes. Every year there was a big public event and part of the festivities included a tire change against the clock. Someone from the motor pool always won until one year mom decided to enter.

Damn shame I can't remember her time. She never forgot it, though.

It tickles me to think of my teenaged mom sitting in a driver's seat, waiting for the whistle to jump out and change a tire as fast as she could.

So while it fell to my dad to teach me to change tires, mom taught me how to rebuild starter motors. She could have easily handled both tasks.
    Remember the scene in the movie "Christmas Story" dad got a flat after purchasing the Christmas tree. He couldn't wait to beat his time, mom had to time it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    There was nothing more dumbfounding to me, than as a police officer/supervisor, getting my uniform dirty changing a tire for a 30 year old in a military uniform who had no clue how to change his tire. I had no problems helping women and old people. I even took great joy helping woman change tires as their husbands stood by just watching. A few times it was interesting with different models that had panels to take off and devices to release tires. But easy to read in the owners manual…

Heck I don’t know how many tires I changed, including on patrol vehicles driving through new housing areas picking up nails every few weeks at times in the summer.

But unless in a rush, I pay for road side service on my vehicles.
    That’s not ok. I cannot imagine someone in uniform not being able to have the mechanical aptitude to figure out in caveman logic: car must be lifted. Fasteners must come off studs. Tire come off!

This country is in trouble.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I wanna see you boomers change a tire and still show up presentable for that ever so important meeting in 30 minutes LOL.
    It’s called taking off your coat, roll up your sleeves and not waiting for AAA. That’s how you make your meeting not sitting around with your thumb up your ass waiting for someone to come change your tire. I did mine on a one ton truck. Standard meats.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom