• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I found this out back when my wife was really sick. The late night drives to Waco or College Station for the ER made me think I better make sure my vehicles are in good shape for the hot & hour & half rides.

I used Discount forever & that was in Houston. I drove to Palestine as its the closest discount Tire to me since moving. I go in for a rotations & next thing I know some short dude is informing about the two messed up lug nuts. So I tell him so fix it seeing as Discount Tire did it.

The dude gets his Napoleon Complex in a bunch because I didn't have it done there. I thought I was going to have to smack him with my cane as he was in my space.

The guy on the front got it all figured out by finding me in there computer. Of coarse his solution was nothing that wasn't going to work for me. I did drop Discount Tire Corporate an e-mail explaining sick wife limited time to leave her alone & it finally got taken care a week later buy me going to Toyota next door to fix their phuc up.
    It’s easy, get what’s needed from a dealership and fix it. Send the customer home with a working rig. Customer service is ass now a days with any place.

Business 101: mistakes cost money. I’d rather be in the whole a grand or a couple, than have lost customers.
    Lynx Defense

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    You have to remember divorce rates are allegedly at about 50% or so for the last 3 or 4 decades. A lot of people grew up without fathers showing them how to do traditional manly stuff you may be used to. Don't shake your head in disbelief; help someone learn a life skill you see as basic regardless if they're men or women, 16 or 76.
    That is a big part of it, but also far too many city kids just don't get exposed to tools or fixing anything. My daughters first boyfriend came over one Saturday afternoon for a BBQ. I was in the garage working. He came out and was dumbfounded by the tools and equipment. We talked about it. He had no tools of any kind in his home. They had everything done by service people. They did not have even have a mower or a pair of pruning shears in the garage. Up to that point you could not have convinced me a there was a male, over the age of 12, in Texas, that had not hammered a nail or turned a wrench or screwdriver. I bet he grew up to be a sportscaster.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    It's a whole new world. I've had my kids involved with basic car maintenance and problem prevention/mitigation since they were knee high to a grasshopper. Last thing I want is for them to be stuck somewhere because they can't work through something simple.
    When my daughter was taking drivers ed, she told me she wanted to get an old VW Beetle. I told her that was fine with me but the first thing she was going to do was to pull the engine and rebuild it while I drank beer in a lawn chair watching her.
    Changing a tire was nothing after that.

On the other side of that coin, I knew a girl when I was younger that had a flat tire. She pulled over to the shoulder, opened the trunk, got out the spare tire and the bumper jack. She proceeded to jack up the back of the car and was totaly confused as to why the the front tire did not come off the ground. :-)

And then another time, I was working the evening shift at the local AMOCO station. A car pulled in with a flat. They pulled off to the side and proceeded to prepare to change the tire. I watched the big guy snap off the first wheel stud and then the second before I could get to him to let him know that Christler products had left hand threads on one side.
    :roflfunny:

It isn't just todays young people. Idiots were in abundance in the 70's too!

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Holly Fuckels, my son could not only change the wheels on his Margay when he was 9, but also break down the wheels to put fresh slicks on.
    Per wheel: 3 lug nuts, 6 split rim bolts, and using a bead breaker that he had to jump on to get the tires off the rims.

TheSinfulSaint

TheSinfulSaint
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    McKinney
    Amazing how the young men and women are being brought up and groomed today. Their first response to problems is to get help and these are the kids who are going to take over the nation tomorrow and I hate to think what will happen when the country faces tough times.

When it was time for me to learn driving, which was at a fairly young age, my dad would not even let me sit in the driving seat, unless I could identify parts under the hood and around the car. I had to learn basic car maintenance, including changing tires, changing oil etc. before I got onto the drivers seat.

Because of that, I was able to help so many folks stranded by the side of the road, including single mom with kids.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Anyone use Discount Tire? If you do there is a good chance you will not be able to change your tire too. They cross threaded 2 lug nuts on my truck a while back. Luckily I found out when I was getting a tire rotation.

Then I find that they can’t finish the job because the are not able to replace the lug nuts they cross threaded.

They farm all of that out because they only break shit, not fix it.
    Discount cross threaded two of my wheel studs and lug nut. I need to dress the or replace them. Had a flat fixed at a flat fix outfit. They put the lug nuts on so tight I had to make a cheater bar to break the nuts loose. Just lucky I found out at home and not on the road.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Discount cross threaded two of my wheel studs and lug nut. I need to dress the or replace them. Had a flat fixed at a flat fix outfit. They put the lug nuts on so tight I had to make a cheater bar to break the nuts loose. Just lucky I found out at home and not on the road.
    That was my major bitch to National Tire Corporate. I explained late night trip to the ER with a sick wife. I basically said if I was to break down in route which for me was an hour or hour and a half ride to the two closest hospitals I'd be coming after Corporate. I also told them their "Hand Torqured Policy " was a total lie.

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    When my daughter was taking drivers ed, she told me she wanted to get an old VW Beetle. I told her that was fine with me but the first thing she was going to do was to pull the engine and rebuild it while I drank beer in a lawn chair watching her.
    Changing a tire was nothing after that.

On the other side of that coin, I knew a girl when I was younger that had a flat tire. She pulled over to the shoulder, opened the trunk, got out the spare tire and the bumper jack. She proceeded to jack up the back of the car and was totaly confused as to why the the front tire did not come off the ground. :-)

And then another time, I was working the evening shift at the local AMOCO station. A car pulled in with a flat. They pulled off to the side and proceeded to prepare to change the tire. I watched the big guy snap off the first wheel stud and then the second before I could get to him to let him know that Christler products had left hand threads on one side.
    :roflfunny:

It isn't just todays young people. Idiots were in abundance in the 70's too!
    Same thing to me happened when I was about 21 on my girl friend’s Dodge. Broke 2 lugs off, got 3 off and changed the tire. Got home, replaced the 2 broken lugs and had the flat fixed. Stupid Chrysler, but I never forgot that lesson.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Same thing to me happened when I was about 21 on my girl friend’s Dodge. Broke 2 lugs off, got 3 off and changed the tire. Got home, replaced the 2 broken lugs and had the flat fixed. Stupid Chrysler, but I never forgot that lesson.
    Not just Chrysler. Any over the road truck with 10 bolt wheels had left hand threds on the left side until Hub Piloted wheels became the standard. In the Late 90s if I recall correctly.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I remember a friend of mine who bought a brand new Chevy car around 10 years ago. It didn't come with a spare at all so he went to the junk yard for a factory wheel so he would have a spare.

Salesman told him he's supposed to call road service if he gets a flat.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I remember a friend of mine who bought a brand new Chevy car around 10 years ago. It didn't come with a spare at all so he went to the junk yard for a factory wheel so he would have a spare.

Salesman told him he's supposed to call road service if he gets a flat.
    My wifes Miata came with a can of fix a flat and a 12volt air compressor.

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    They can, but the tire has to really want to change!!

On side note:

1. My oldest male grandkid was raised doing work with his dad on cars, but it never took. A member of Gen Z, his ambition was to get an education and have a desk job. He pays to have his lawn mown, orders meals delivered, and pays to have clothes ironed/starched. Oy vey!

2. My dad was blue collar and a tool user. God forbid one messed with Dad's tools, esp if you didn't put them back. But he showed us how to do a few things, mostly the older boyz I think, I was kinda on my own. Too cheap to pay someone to fix small car problems tho. Mom, on the other hand, since she had 3 boyz, was determined that she would not have 3 sons that would be a burden to their wives. By the time I was 5, I could cook, clean, and sew. But Dad did teach us all how to swim. Wish he would have taught me to springboard dive.

Top Bottom