Texas SOT

Can i carry a shotgun in my car even though its in my dads name?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Didn't say unmarked. Said plain white. Maybe shoulda been more specific, plain white with big ass blue letters that say Police and government plates.
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    1) It is true there are few Federal Police Officers pulling people over. But if you look at all the people in FPMITA prisons almost none were initially arrested by Feds. Almost all contacts started with school officials or non-LEOs.

2) I have seen my Postal Inspector on several occasions at my Post Office. He can arrest on the spot if he sees a gun in your truck.

3) Many Federal parking lots near Federal Facilities. Many of these older ones (such as in Dallas), are not secured and you many not even know you are parking on Federal Property.

4) Many Texas lakes and the boat ramps to them are Federal Property.

5) The of course there are the prohibited places under Texas law too.

6) As a Law-abiding citizen, I do make my decisions to break or obey laws based on probability of getting caught. I would assume many others behave the same way, but I guess one never knows till you read about them getting sentenced in the paper.

So my point here is it really is not as simple as just putting a gun in a rack and thinking you are GTG. There are a lot of places you cannot go.

Federal property is generally OK. Inside Federal facilities is illegal, but that does not include parking lots and driveways. Postal property is a special exception, as you point out.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    1) It is true there are few Federal Police Officers pulling people over. But if you look at all the people in FPMITA prisons almost none were initially arrested by Feds. Almost all contacts started with school officials or non-LEOs.
    yep. If you are stopped for speeding within 1000 feet of a school and are not some major criminal your gun in your car under Texas law will not be an issue.

2) I have seen my Postal Inspector on several occasions at my Post Office. He can arrest on the spot if he sees a gun in your truck.
    Again, is he searching cars?

3) Many Federal parking lots near Federal Facilities. Many of these older ones (such as in Dallas), are not secured and you many not even know you are parking on Federal Property.
    Federal parking lots are not off limits.

4) Many Texas lakes and the boat ramps to them are Federal Property.
    Specifically, they are Corps of Engineer property, and those ARE off limits.

5) The of course there are the prohibited places under Texas law too.
    I don't know of any parking areas, garages, sidewalks, etc., that are off limits unless some school event is taking place in the middle of the parking lot.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Where do some of you people get your information, I live near a major highway that has several schools within spitting distance of the road, I will wager that during hunting season there are thousands of vehicles with rifles and shotguns as well as handguns that pass buy them every day.
    PEOPLE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have searched the US Code, and do not find "property" listed. Courts and Federal FACILITIES I do. Perhaps you could direct me.

Sure. Federal Property such as Army Corp of Engineer lakes, Military Bases, certain Cvilian Agencies too, as well as some Ntional Parks are off-limits too (though none in Texas I am aware off).

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Where do some of you people get your information, I live near a major highway that has several schools within spitting distance of the road, I will wager that during hunting season there are thousands of vehicles with rifles and shotguns as well as handguns that pass buy them every day.
    PEOPLE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU POST.

I am sure many vehicles have illegal drugs in them troo, does not make it legal.

Just cause folks violate the law or do not know the law does not make it legal.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Again, is he searching cars?

OP said "in gun rack" so he does not have to search cars he can easily see from a distance away.

Federal parking lots are not off limits.

Many are. I worked at three where guns were prohibited by Federal Law and still are.

Specifically, they are Corps of Engineer property, and those ARE off limits.

Corp of Engineers Property is Federal Property.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I have my CCW on me at all times and a pump shotgun in my trunk at all times, neither are visible, ever. Am I really in violation of the law if I swing by the post office, leave my gun in the car, and run inside to drop a package off? Or if I stop and pick up my nephew from school? Am I supposed to go home, drop the guns off, swing by the school in which I won't even be getting out of the car, and then I can put the guns back in when I get home? (I never actually do this I was just asking. I don't even have a nephew in Texas) If that's really the law then damn, some seriously dense liberals got a little too much control at some point.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I take personal weapons on a military base all the time, nothing illegal about it.

Those that prohibit it are doing so based on a commander's policy, not Federal law. USC Title 18, Section 930 only prohibits bringing those weapons into Federal facilities, defined as "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

Cheers! M2

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have my CCW on me at all times and a pump shotgun in my trunk at all times, neither are visible, ever. Am I really in violation of the law if I swing by the post office, leave my gun in the car, and run inside to drop a package off? Or if I stop and pick up my nephew from school?

You have a state issued license for the handgun so that does not violate the school zone law. Shotgun does unless it is unloaded and locked away.

carry of either weapon on postal property (which includes the parking lot) violates 39 CFR 232.1 and 18 U.S.C. 3571

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Sure. Federal Property such as Army Corp of Engineer lakes, Military Bases, certain Cvilian Agencies too, as well as some Ntional Parks are off-limits too (though none in Texas I am aware off).

Could you direct me to the law that makes Military bases off limits, and parking lots of federal facilities?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom