Target Sports

Can i carry a shotgun in my car even though its in my dads name?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well it is locked away, in the trunk. I guess I needa take my 7 buckshots out of the magazine tube. But wow, what a confusing law. I just read someone else's post saying "if you knowingly go within 1000 feet of a school with a gun that is not unloaded, your in violation". So the exit to my apartment complex comes within 1000 feet of a school. I'm supposed to unload my gun every time I leave, then pull over in the Target parking lot and pop the mag back in and re chamber my round? I realize you said my CHL exempts me from the handgun violation, but from what others have written, there are a few contradictions in this thread. I'm gonna ask the guys at the range next time I go for some clarification.

It has to be unloaded and locked. The 1000 feet does not apply on private property, like your apartment complex. But the second you pull onto the road, it'd be a federal felony.
    DK Firearms

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    What makes you think a bunch of gun store guys will know the law where you have local, state and federal LEO's on here telling you what it means????

Well, the gun store guys are CHL Instructors also. Plus, like I said, I've gotten a few contradicting responses on here. Is it legal or illegal for me to drive past a school with A GUN is what I"m asking. Whether it be my CCW, a 12 guage pump in my trunk, or any other firearm. Am I in violation of the law if my shotgun, which is locked in my trunk, is loaded with buckshots? Or if my CCW on my side has a mag loaded and a round chambered. That's all I am trying to find out because I live next to a school.

And, no offense to anyone, what lalonguecarabine said is a pretty good point as well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well, the gun store guys are CHL Instructors also. Plus, like I said, I've gotten a few contradicting responses on here. Is it legal or illegal for me to drive past a school with A GUN is what I"m asking. Whether it be my CCW, a 12 guage pump in my trunk, or any other firearm. Am I in violation of the law if my shotgun, which is locked in my trunk, is loaded with buckshots? Or if my CCW on my side has a mag loaded and a round chambered. That's all I am trying to find out because I live next to a school.

And, no offense to anyone, what lalonguecarabine said is a pretty good point as well.

If you have a CHL, you're legal to knowingly drive past a school with loaded handguns. Long guns are a different story, since your license is for handguns.

The Gun Free School Zone Act specifies that unless you fall under one of the exemptions, the guns have to be unloaded and locked.

Here, better than getting info second hand, just read the goddamn thing yourself. It's not a real long law and is pretty easy to understand. Reading a law yourself is almost always the best answer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990#Text_of_the_law

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    If you have a CHL, you're legal to knowingly drive past a school with loaded handguns. Long guns are a different story, since your license is for handguns.

The Gun Free School Zone Act specifies that unless you fall under one of the exemptions, the guns have to be unloaded and locked.

Here, better than getting info second hand, just read the goddamn thing yourself. It's not a real long law and is pretty easy to understand. Reading a law yourself is almost always the best answer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990#Text_of_the_law

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a look over. I spent 40 minutes earlier reading about places it is legal to carry, to see if I could carry my Glock while taking a stroll on my bicycle through Memorial Park. I am somewhat hesitant to go read laws because many times I find myself even more confused when I'm done reading. I finally figured it was so confusing but the impression I got was that I did not commit a felony this morning. I guess I'll take my buckshots out of the gun, considering that not only do I live next to a school, but drive past them pretty regularly on my normal errand running trips in Houston. So stupid to say it's ok for me to carry a 12 guage in the trunk but it has to be unloaded. As if that law really stops anyone from doing anything, except protecting themselves. I have that gun in there for the God Forbid .00001% chance I get caught up in some horrific situation that my use of 7 rounds of 00 buckshot may be warranted. Improbable, but not impossible.

Top Bottom