Can we please increase the minimum post count to use the gun classifieds ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    It's still better than just opening the classifieds up to everybody who signs up. If somebody comes here and posts 25 BS posts just to get an ad in, we'll surely be able to see it... and dispatch him.
    DK Firearms

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    The more posts you see - the more history of the poster you see. It is also easier to see if the posts are legit or fluff to inflate the post count. The more you know about them makes it easier to make a safer buying decision (hopefully).

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the counter argument to that is that the board then takes on some form of liability or assurance that just because somebody has "x" number of posts, they are reliable

the bottom line is that the transaction still comes down to two people who have to place some trust in each other....

anyway - not a big deal - i really dont have a dog in the hunt, just tossing out an opinion for the sake of discussion

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    I think y'all are being a little too overbearing on this one. If someone wants to get on the board, make 5 posts and then try to sell overpriced crap, I say let them. If you don't want it, just ignore it. When no one responds to the ad, the poster will go away unless they decide to actually participate in the forum. But I think it's BS to assume because you don't want it, no one else will. There might be someone willing to
    pay a price you deem ridiculous.

Now I do think majormadmax and others have legitimate claims when it comes to people selling stuff out from under them. But that seems like more of a case-by-case thing.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If that was all there was too it, then it wouldn't be of concern; but what we are experiencing are new members who post items up for sale then don't monitor their ads when someone tries to purchase the item!

I honestly think the price gouging is the least of our worries, it's actions such as that which give the board and all of its members a bad reputation. If both parties don't keep up their share of the transaction, and people start complaining about it; it's the forum that is negatively impacted. That is why I think there needs to be more serious ramifications for people who back out of deals once they are made!

And while this is more of an issue with new/low post count members, I've had at least one "regular" on here pull such shenanigans...

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    A lot of forums that I am active on in my industry have the minimum 25 post and 10 days wait before anyone can post in the classified.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    A couple other forums I frequent require a minimum of 100 post before being eligible to list in their classifieds. Kind of a high post count for that privilege (IMHO), however it keeps stuff like what's going on here to a minimum. If the minimal post Count is left to low then a random post count can add up rather quickly and render it useless. I could care less if someone wants to sell a $2,000 Bushmaster or 20rds. of .223 for $20.00, as said above no one has to buy it let alone acknowledge it. My fear is in the current hyped and inflated buying/selling market our classified section will end up looking like Texas Gun Trader. I really enjoy this site, there's lots of helpful people and information plus it's for gun people by gun people not to mention the vast majority of us are native Texans. I'd just like to keep out all the "I dont know shit from Shinola about guns anything and don't care to, but I do have a SIG-556 for $2,500" crowd. This site is awesome, I read it everyday and I'd really like to continue to do so without having to sift through all the B.S. like I've seen on other gun sites, AR(cough, cough)15 (cough) dot com........

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    A couple other forums I frequent require a minimum of 100 post before being eligible to list in their classifieds. Kind of a high post count for that privilege (IMHO), however it keeps stuff like what's going on here to a minimum. If the minimal post Count is left to low then a random post count can add up rather quickly and render it useless. I could care less if someone wants to sell a $2,000 Bushmaster or 20rds. of .223 for $20.00, as said above no one has to buy it let alone acknowledge it. My fear is in the current hyped and inflated buying/selling market our classified section will end up looking like Texas Gun Trader. I really enjoy this site, there's lots of helpful people and information plus it's for gun people by gun people not to mention the vast majority of us are native Texans. I'd just like to keep out all the "I dont know shit from Shinola about guns anything and don't care to, but I do have a SIG-556 for $2,500" crowd. This site is awesome, I read it everyday and I'd really like to continue to do so without having to sift through all the B.S. like I've seen on other gun sites, AR(cough, cough)15 (cough) dot com........

This right here

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

moki

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    DFW
    I think I'm one of the newer/low post counts to chime in on this one. I agree with the minimum of 25 posts. If it doesn't seem to do the trick, you can always up it. This may have been covered after the site came back up, but what ever happened to the feedback? The one other forum I'm on has it and it can be a pretty useful tool. It's a good way to see if someone is worth dealing with or likely to flake out.
    I may not have a lot of posts, and half the time I have to pass on good deals in the classifieds till I'm back in town, but I also can't stand seeing these d bags that come on here now with 7 posts to put something up for a crazy price. When I see the ones who don't have a location in their profile info I pretty much assume they are out of state and just trying to make a quick buck. I enjoy this forum and check it just about every day. Usually good info and some 'spirited' debates. Hope this new limit will keep some of the money grubbers off.

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am a new guy and support it wholeheartedly. I refuse to sell anything right now, just hoping the normalcy will return, that said I ain't buying either unless it is a shotgun or shotgun related.

Only drawback is the thread whoring that goes on to get to the threshold.

Last edited:

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    My suggestion is to set an arbitrary number (between 15 and 20), but not allow that number to be publicly known. It will discourage more drive by classified postings than a higher number that they know about. The result being quality classified listings and less threadwhoring

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ....and on a side note, I've also been able to post on sites before reaching their "magic" number simply by going to one of the mods and presenting my "case". I can see someone with a family collection needing to sell it off fairly, etc. - so there's no one size fits all. I think Alan's hit a good compromise - and if it doesn't work, I have no doubt he'll readily revisit it. For now, I say let's see what happens.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Although it appears Alan has already ruled on this one, I'm in favor of an arbitrary time limit like - say, fifteen days or so in addition to a minimum post count.
    Just my two cents worth.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I don't care about the gouging (capitalism and all), what I like is seeing a history of post from some potential buyers or sellers. This way I could see their history and know whether I am comfortable selling to them or buying from them if they have at least some history.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom