Can you / sgould get a flu shot while youre sick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am getting conflicting info on whether it s a good or bad idea to get a flu shot while you're sick?

What say TGT?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Depends on what you're sick with. If you already have the flu, there's no benefit to the vaccine anymore - you're too late. Tamiflu may help if you get it quickly enough, though. But if you have an illness that isn't related to the flu, getting the vaccine will still have the desired effect - triggering your immune system to being producing antibodies against this years flu strains.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My doc said last year the flu shot had a 20% effectiveness rate. This year it would be below 10% since swine flu is the prevalent strain, and the flu shot didn't account for that strain.

And, he said don't get it if you already have the flu.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    This year's flu vaccine is only a "best guess" which flu strains will be targeted. I'd rather eat some undercooked pork and hope my immune system adapts to fight the swine flu.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm down with the flu atm. Loading up on vitamin D and C helps allot. I'm taking 5 times recommended daily on the D and about 3-5 grams of C. Make sure to spread the C throughout the day, if you take too much at once it can make you constipated (i use the pure ascorbic acid powder mixed in water or juice and sip it). So far i haven't gotten above a very low grade fever, just really lethargic and have a headache.

This regimen also works well at preventing the flu, much more so than rolling the dice with the flu shot. Whole reason the flu is prevalent this time of year, we get less sun and therefore less vitamin D. Just wished i had followed my own advice on this and i might not be sick right now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    You can get the flu shot while you have the flu. As stated, there are many different strains of the flu, and the vaccine covers more than just one. So if you are sick with strain X, you can get the shot still, so that you are covered for strains Y and Z. I was told by a nurse friend of mine that this years vaccine does cover the H1N1 strain that is so prevalent this year, but he is one of those guys that just makes up things to make himself look smart sometimes....so here's your grain of salt with that bit of info.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo

Forum statistics