• ...and so much more!
  • Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I had a similar experience. I tried a few micro semi-autos and just never liked them. I always went back to my 340pd when I wanted small and light weight. I guess j frames are a better fit for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Same here, I tried a pallet full of them and found them wanting.

I will stay with my S&W 36 if I need discreet. It seams like the older I get the less discreet I need to be. 380 had been taken off the list many years ago.

The most compact semi I currently own is a Beretta 92x compact.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It's true. I carry a backup LCP II 22 but my main daily carry is a Glock 17. Only if I need to leave it behind is the LCP primary.
    <>

The ‘’Ease of carry’’ difference b/t the G17 & G19 is tremendous. Try the G19 or G26.

I know from experience.

<>

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    The Glock 19 is quite a bit of firearm and relatively comfortable in many carry options.

I have, appreciate, and use all manner of the LCP family. The 12 round magazine on a max provides sufficient finger purchase while still being pocketable.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I think he may have been over served when he posted that. What he meant to say is both were tested after tossing a dwarf on a horse.

But I don’t think you can call them dwarfs ( or dwarves, for the grammar SS) any more. I think the preferred descriptors are “wee people” or “munchkins”

giphy.gif

They’re still midgets and midgets were made for wrassling, or bowling..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Being lazy about carrying a 24-25 ounce (loaded) revolver concealed, I talked myself into buying a Ruger LCP Max. I briefly had the original article when it first came out, but shortly thereafter gave it to my brother. The Max is certainly superior: better sights, better trigger, 12-round magazines. It's so easy to carry and weighs so little that it is a comfort in that department. But ya know what? Take it to the range and run a couple of boxes through it and you are left with the truth: It's a popgun -- certainly lethal when well used -- but a popgun nonetheless. I think I will refocus on the .327 -- or better, go back to a Charter Bulldog loaded with five Keiths. Anyone else have similar thoughts about the .380 pocket guns?

My husband is a '45' man but he does CARRY a GLOCK 42 (.380acp) to the gym for his exercise/inside walking especially during bitter cold, super icy paths and blizzard days on a regular basis. FIVE or SIX days per week are his GYM days.

He usually carries his .380 pistol for Church twice a week instead of the 45acp pistol.

(Yes, he does have ice cleats for shoes and boots. And he shoots at his range on VERY snowy cold days too.)

He has been carrying his .380acp pistol MORE than his 45acp pistol and it usually depends on what he is doing and WHERE he is going.

Woods/wilderness, mountain walks even HERE in town, etc. - he carries the 45acp pistol. Woods/wilderness and in other remote locations - the 45acp pistol goes with him or us together AND a 30-30 Winchester, a 45-70Government OR a 30-06 caliber RIFLE.

The 45 Caliber in 45acp, 45 Long Colt, 454 Casull, etc. was and still is HIS TOP FAVORITE caliber out of many of his former and present handguns.

Plus he (And I.) did own several CF Pistol Caliber RIFLES including the 45Long Colt too.

He still owns ONE, no longer two, Glock 30SF pistols (45acp) but ALL of the other 45s in pistols (1911s and single action revolvers.) are gone now.

He owns TWO Glock 42 pistols NOW too.

(He does OWN, carry and shoot a few 22lr handguns too.)

He LOVES his Glock 42 and especially it's carrying WEIGHT even though he is a 6' 1" tall man and fairly strong for his AGE with some physical issues.

He has a Leatherman or a SAK multi tool set on his leather belt ALWAYS even when he goes to Church, he carries a GOOD quality folding/pocket knife ALWAYS, sometimes 2 knives except where they FORBID IT as in a courthouse, PLUS a handgun, and his keys. A tiny bit of LOOSE change too. He carries his wallet in a back pocket.

We do NOT OWN or carry a cellular telephone. So that is not a CARRY issue. Once he no longer HAD to have it for work when he traveled on and off besides being in his office - it went bye bye.

I NEVER OWNED or BOUGHT a .380acp OR a 45acp pistol for MYSELF.

I did give my husband Christmas money for his SECOND Glock 42 pistol plus for other guns or ammo or whatever in the past and recently too.

But if I had a CHOICE of only 2 Calibers as you mentioned ABOVE between the .380 or the '327 Federal' ONLY - I would get a .380 and IN A GLOCK 42 pistol. I have seen it in action, the results, etc. in person and in MANY, many targets.

I did OWN handguns in several calibers during my time of buying, owning, carrying and shooting handguns.

I NO longer own, shoot or carry handguns. Right now, my old lady hands are really SORE just trying to type this to you! SUPER BAD, bad winter weather here in Montana has really SET OFF my old bones, old bad accident fall issues and arthritis. Holy moly!

I got into BUYING and shooting handguns more for SELF defense issues and for the RKBA issue which I ALWAYS believed in even BEFORE I bought 'my own guns' and ONLY used my late husband's HOUSE GUN as I called it.

Handguns were my MAIN THING when it came to firearm ownership from the gitgo before my hands and other physical issues besides old age got worse. IN RF and in CF calibers. I was into rifles more later on even though I did own and shoot THREE 22lr rifles back east and out here. I brought them with me when I moved.

I owned more rifles OUT west in RF and in CF.

HANDGUN calibers of mine in the PAST from the late 90's and on:

22lr - Smith and Wesson and RUGER

22wmr - (EXTRA cylinders with the RUGER single six CONVERTIBLE revolvers.)

9mm Luger - 9x19 Parabellum (Glock19)

357 Magnum
    Smith and Wesson and Ruger Blackhawk

38Special - 38Special Plus P
    Smith and Wesson

45Long Colt
    Ruger Blackhawk

44Magnum/44special
    TWO sweet gifts that I did NOT ask for and they were in the Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 and 29-3 d/a revolvers.

I never did shoot or learn my former black powder single action revolver - the 'Navy' Italian made one. I gifted that one after my late husband died back east.

I would GET the .380 pistol if I only had 2 choices as you stated above.

IT depends on what YOU like the most and what weight that you want to CARRY ON your body on a regular basis.

Best wishes to you!

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I had a similar experience. I tried a few micro semi-autos and just never liked them. I always went back to my 340pd when I wanted small and light weight. I guess j frames are a better fit for my needs.

I think a large part of my preference of the frame over semiautomatic is the grip. The semis I tried like the lcp had a small flat grip. I like the rounded fuller feel of the j frame. I tried slip on grips but realized I don't like squishy grips that move around.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Same here, I tried a pallet full of them and found them wanting.

I will stay with my S&W 36 if I need discreet. It seams like the older I get the less discreet I need to be. 380 had been taken off the list many years ago.

The most compact semi I currently own is a Beretta 92x compact.
    The 36 has been on my list a long time. My top 3 carried are czp01, 340pd, 327pc.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My husband is a '45' man but he does CARRY a GLOCK 42 (.380acp) to the gym for his exercise/inside walking especially during bitter cold, super icy paths and blizzard days on a regular basis. FIVE or SIX days per week are his GYM days.

He usually carries his .380 pistol for Church twice a week instead of the 45acp pistol.

(Yes, he does have ice cleats for shoes and boots. And he shoots at his range on VERY snowy cold days too.)

He has been carrying his .380acp pistol MORE than his 45acp pistol and it usually depends on what he is doing and WHERE he is going.

Woods/wilderness, mountain walks even HERE in town, etc. - he carries the 45acp pistol. Woods/wilderness and in other remote locations - the 45acp pistol goes with him or us together AND a 30-30 Winchester, a 45-70Government OR a 30-06 caliber RIFLE.

The 45 Caliber in 45acp, 45 Long Colt, 454 Casull, etc. was and still is HIS TOP FAVORITE caliber out of many of his former and present handguns.

Plus he (And I.) did own several CF Pistol Caliber RIFLES including the 45Long Colt too.

He still owns ONE, no longer two, Glock 30SF pistols (45acp) but ALL of the other 45s in pistols (1911s and single action revolvers.) are gone now.

He owns TWO Glock 42 pistols NOW too.

(He does OWN, carry and shoot a few 22lr handguns too.)

He LOVES his Glock 42 and especially it's carrying WEIGHT even though he is a 6"1" tall man and fairly strong for his AGE with some physical issues.

He has a Leatherman or a SAK multi tool set on his leather belt ALWAYS even when he goes to Church, he carries a GOOD quality folding/pocket knife ALWAYS, sometimes 2 knives except where they FORBID IT as in a courthouse, PLUS a handgun, and his keys. A tiny bit of LOOSE change too. He carries his wallet in a back pocket.

We do NOT OWN or carry a cellular telephone. So that is not a CARRY issue. Once he no longer HAD to have it for work when he traveled on and off besides being in his office - it went bye bye.

I NEVER OWNED or BOUGHT a .380acp OR a 45acp pistol for MYSELF.

I did give my husband Christmas money for his SECOND Glock 42 pistol plus for other guns or ammo or whatever in the past and recently too.

But if I had a CHOICE of only 2 Calibers as you mentioned ABOVE between the .380 or the '327 Federal' ONLY - I would get a .380 and IN A GLOCK 42 pistol. I have seen it in action, the results, etc. in person and in MANY, many targets.

I did OWN handguns in several calibers during my time of buying, owning, carrying and shooting handguns.

I NO longer own, shoot or carry handguns. Right now, my old lady hands are really SORE just trying to type this to you! SUPER BAD, bad winter weather here in Montana has really SET OFF my old bones, old bad accident fall issues and arthritis. Holy moly!

I got into BUYING and shooting handguns more for SELF defense issues and for the RKBA issue which I ALWAYS believed in even BEFORE I bought 'my own guns' and ONLY used my late husband's HOUSE GUN as I called it.

Handguns were my MAIN THING when it came to firearm ownership from the gitgo before my hands and other physical issues besides old age got worse. IN RF and in CF calibers. I was into rifles more later on even though I did own and shoot THREE 22lr rifles back east and out here. I brought them with me when I moved.

I owned more rifles OUT west in RF and in CF.

HANDGUN calibers of mine in the PAST from the late 90's and on:

22lr - Smith and Wesson and RUGER

22wmr - (EXTRA cylinders with the RUGER single six CONVERTIBLE revolvers.)

9mm Luger - 9x19 Parabellum (Glock19)

357 Magnum
    Smith and Wesson and Ruger Blackhawk

38Special - 38Special Plus P
    Smith and Wesson

45Long Colt
    Ruger Blackhawk

44Magnum/44special
    TWO sweet gifts that I did NOT ask for and they were in the Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 and 29-3 d/a revolvers.

I never did shoot or learn my former black powder single action revolver - the 'Navy' Italian made one. I gifted that one after my late husband died back east.

I would GET the .380 pistol if I only had 2 choices as you stated above.

IT depends on what YOU like the most and what weight that you want to CARRY ON your body on a regular basis.

Best wishes to you!

Old Lady Cate
    <>

Sounds like you’ve caught yourself a very good MAN.

Some 10 years back, when still living in New Orleans, our Church got a very specific terrorist threat from a known terrorist organization.

We had an unofficial emergency response team, including active LEO’s, Veterans, skilled shooters, etc.

The threat was against one particular planned religious service.

We were like ‘’OK, bring it on, suckers !’’. It wouid have been like a very quick turkey shoot, as we would have had snipers everywhere.

ArchBishop Gregory Aymond, just back from being the Bishop of Austin/Travis, folded to the threat.

Of course the local SWAT Team was anxious to provide protection, so we wouldn’t have had to DIY.

ArchBishop Aymond still said no. . . . .

We were like ’’What would Jesus do ?’’.

Our Church was forced to fold to the threat.

Sad, sad story. Like paying kidnappers. . . . . .

Then even worse, the Church refused ANY protections. like not keeping FIVE separate doors open during services.

They came up with a brilliant plan: Everyone just call 911 if a mass shooting started.

Some just never learn; even the highly educated among us.

leVieux

<>

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I also carry the 1911 .45 for my pocket gun I recently switched from a Kimber Micro 9 (due to crooked broke thumb not engaging the safety in every quick reaction practice) to a SIG P365 improved trigger and springs (kept the stiffer striker spring for reliability) and grip enhancements
    I admit that I liked the muscle memory from the 1911 and the same laser grips and matching sights which the big and little 1911 Kimbers provided.

Oldag, a 1911 is tough for me to carry and conceal but I agree it cannot be beat and I have lived most of my life comfortable with 1911 controls. Robert, I'll look at the EC9 at the next gun show. I've never been a big 9 fan, but compared to the .380, it's serious business.
    Take a close look at the Sig 938. Has 1911 controls in a 9mm micro package. Mine have been failure free are accurate to the point of their design.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My edc is an LCP Max.
    I’m old and ain’t going to drag around a hand cannon.
    I like my tiny Max so much I bought another one with a stainless slide.
    I am old too and I carry a Glock 20 and have for the past several years.
    I just don't care for tiny pistols.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    To the people who mentioned SMITH and WESSON J Frames... I LOVE them too! I only owned and shot the ones from the late 90's to 2001.

I ONLY bought and owned TWO S&W J frame d/a revolvers.

Bought in the late 90's to maybe (?) 2000 or 2001.

I CRS now on the EXACT time frame for the year bought NIB.

I bought the Model 317 KIT GUN (22lr) with the 3 inch barrel and it did NOT have the ugly green (HI-VIZ) front sight like they have NOW on them. It had a NICE and simple regular front sight.

I bought the Model 60 with the 3 inch barrel and it was in the 38Special PLUS P caliber which at the time S&W were only going to make in 357Magnum only from THEN ON OUT and NOT in the Plus P AND in the 357Magnum calibers.

That was the ONLY 38Special or 38Special PLUS P 'ONLY CALIBER' type of handgun that I EVER bought or owned.

I ALWAYS bought a 357Magnum caliber handgun which took BOTH types of ammunition (38Special and 357Magnum) like the 'house gun' of my late husband's.

But my dealer/salesman from my FAVORITE small family owned store where I bought 15 or so guns from, back east, gave me a SALE price, another rebate - INSTANT ONE which I did NOT HAVE TO MAIL IN, a free box of ammo since I NEVER BOUGHT OR EVEN SHOT 38Special PLUS P ammo or a handgun for ONLY 38Special Plus P, my PERP PAPER TARGET (I called them that!) aka a silhouette TARGET since I used them and not the round targets the MOST and free time for their indoor range even though I shot there OFTEN and at my Sportsman's Club - private range closer to my super rural house.

I was ALWAYS treated VERY well by MY favorite salesman, the store owner's son, even as an eager to learn NEWBIE LADY buying my own guns. He did not LAUGH at my lists, my GUN DIGEST BOOK with my POST IT NOTES inside of it, my special ordered brochures to various GUN companies, my GUN and AMMO QUESTIONS, etc. when I was LOOKING and handling guns with my handicap issues. I was treated well when I was all alone AND when my late husband came with me the first few times to the store and told him that I was the BUYER and so forth. CC asked if he could help US looking at BOTH OF US and my late husband pointed to me and replied nicely to him. She is the buyer today. I LOOKED at my own list PLUS all around the well stocked store.

BOTH of those J Frame guns with the 3 INCH BARRELS served me well and they were SWEET GUNS.

I usually PREFERRED a 6 or 6.5 inch barrel in my SMITH and WESSON d/a revolvers and RUGER s/a revolvers even though I loved my GLOCK 19, 2 other S&W semi automatic pistols and my RUGER BLACKHAWK with the 7.5 inch barrel too!

Even though I tried the 38Special PLUS P ammo - I ended up ONLY buying 38Special ammunition for that MODEL 60 down the road. PLUS I used a lot of 38Special ammo AND 357 ammo for my 357 handguns and, later on, for some pistol caliber rifles.

My MT husband, not my late husband, CAST some bullets for some of those rifles PLUS he loaded up some other ammo for both of those rifles. Different grains and different companies for STORE bought factory bullets to reload with. He has reloaded since the early 70's.

I never reloaded - hand loaded even though I thought of doing it with my late husband right before his cancer discovery.

I did TRY OUT factory made wad cutters back east ONE TIME back east. I never read much about them before I saw them in the store and I ASKED about them.

My MT husband did make - reload a bunch of wad cutters for me to try out here. He used them on and off too.

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    The problem with mouse guns and mouse gun calibers is that most hollow point ammunition does not expand reliably. I run Underwood Extreme defender in my .380 and .32 mouse guns. Check out some youtube gel tests on these rounds. No expansion required and extremely consistent.

1705253110185.png

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    The problem with mouse guns and mouse gun calibers is that most hollow point ammunition does not expand reliably. I run Underwood Extreme defender in my .380 and .32 mouse guns. Check out some youtube gel tests on these rounds. No expansion required and extremely consistent.

View attachment 427136

I have yet to try those type rounds but they seam to preform well , any real world data on them? I haven't researched this in a while.

Top Bottom