• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Not sure what you mean by "but they give little expansion" They don't expand at all. They create tissue damage and a wound channel by the flutes on the outside of the bullet creating hydrostatic pressure that is very similar to what an expanding bullet does.
    "Hydrostatic pressure" is imagination with pistol rounds...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    My formula has been to find a gun that I am proficient with, then figure out how to carry it everyday.

As the pistol gets smaller and lighter my proficiency drops off. The simple solution might be to practice more but honestly, they're less "fun" to shoot. So I just don't practice.

I've been doing this a while and the pistol that I "like" the best is a S&W K frame. I'm most accurate with my Model 67 but the 2.5" model 19-3 is a very close 2nd.

I have some classic SIGs and 1911s and I do ok, just ok though.
    Model 67 pocket.jpg

This is a 4" K frame in the pocket of my jeans.

I know I'm gonna hit what I'm pointing at on the first shot.

I'm pretty good with my Beretta 92fs too. Another full size pistol that takes some determination to carry.

My 442 might be in my bathrobe pocket or pajamas waistband because I have the Desantis Clip Grip on it. But since I don't go to town in my pajamas, I don't really consider it an option for ccw outside the front gate.

I guess if I had as much experience with the 1911 as I do with a revolver I'd be more comfortable with it as a daily choice.

I do know for certain that I'm in a rut though. If I carried my M67 today then I will again tomorrow. I don't much switch around. Once out of the safe and loaded it's months before I change.

Confidence puts it on my hip and keeps it there.
    If I want a change then a change of holster scratches that itch.

20231213_221019.jpg

My thoughts on mouse guns.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Take a close look at the Sig 938. Has 1911 controls in a 9mm micro package. Mine have been failure free are accurate to the point of their design.
    Thanks, I'll check for one to handle at local shops! The Kimber is a great gun, however my right thumb is canted outward due to an old break and does not engage the Kimber Micro 9 safety consistently during rapid presentation, maybe the SIG 938 is the answer.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've never been much of a 9mm guy nor have I been a fan of tupperware or striker-fired, but this past year I got an itch to purchase 9mm pistol - I'll likely catch some grief for this but I got a Kel-Tec PF9 and I'm surprised by how much I like it.

I carry a PF9 in a pocket holster regularly. I'll admit it's not fun to shoot after the first couple of mags - 9mm in a pistol with that little mass is about like catching a fastball without a glove. But it's an accurate little thing and mine has been reliable every time I've fired it. I try to put at least 50 rounds through it every time I visit the range (which I need to do more often).

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    some are not going to like this but I have RA and my hands are not as strong as they used to be. I can still shoot a 9 or a 45 but not as fast or as accurate. My most accurate fast shooting pistol is my 5.7 Rock. it is flat and carries 25 rounds. my extra mag is 30.

Had one of those 5.7 Rocks come through the store for a transfer a couple weeks back.

Pretty slick pistol for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2022
    Austin, TX
    Used to carry a colt 1908 .380, but the ammo was more expensive than 9mm and made practice too expensive. The little colt is heavy and narrow and only 7 rounds. Federal quality expanding 380 ammo made me trust it would do the job.
    I wanted to find something lighter, more comfortable in my hand, recoil similar to 380, external hammer, and cheaper ammo. After a lot of tries I settled on a Grand Power P11 9mm with 147 grain loads. Pushes in the hand like my 45s or the 380, but felt recoil is same or less than 380. Rotating action soaks up the typical slap in your hand of the 9mm. Now my old 380 just stays at home.

popforall

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2022
    San Antonio, Texas
    Being lazy about carrying a 24-25 ounce (loaded) revolver concealed, I talked myself into buying a Ruger LCP Max. I briefly had the original article when it first came out, but shortly thereafter gave it to my brother. The Max is certainly superior: better sights, better trigger, 12-round magazines. It's so easy to carry and weighs so little that it is a comfort in that department. But ya know what? Take it to the range and run a couple of boxes through it and you are left with the truth: It's a popgun -- certainly lethal when well used -- but a popgun nonetheless. I think I will refocus on the .327 -- or better, go back to a Charter Bulldog loaded with five Keiths. Anyone else have similar thoughts about the .380 pocket guns?
    Just went thru the same analysis. I bought the Ruger LCR (internal hammer in 327 Fed Mag. Great gun and perfect for conceal. I load it with 32 H & R Mag. Still very powerful with a little less muzzle jump with recoil.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Edub, I had not heard of the pistol you mention. Interesting profile in the Rifleman four years ago:

Pop, I had the Taurus 327 at the range yesterday. It does have some bark and bite with the full-house loads of 11.7 of Accurate No. 9 and 13.5 of LilGun under the Hornady 100-grain XTP.

captainkirkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Austin Tx
    I wanted to like the LCP MAX. But, like its LCP brother, there's not enough grip for my hand. Felt recoil is worse than any micro-9 or .357Mag snub. I would really like to try one of the larger .380ACPs like the P365 or PD380.

.380ACP is a good round. It hits above its weight class, and it's effective for SD with FMJ ammo. I might add one as a middle step between my LCPII .22lr and my PT-145......
    I am really enjoying my P365 380. Bought it last year and have put around 500 trouble free rounds through it. A friend went to the range with me, tried it, and liked it more than her Shield EZ and a few other guns she rented to try out so she bought one. I carry both a 10 and 12 round mag but just got a couple of MTX 365 380 +3 Round Magazine Extenders from XTech Tactical that convert the standard 10 round mag. I installed one last night and will take it to the range this weekend to make sure it runs.

I also like to carry my Glock 42 with Pearce 7 round mags and since they are so light, I generally carry two extras so that I have 21 rounds. And every once in awhile I will carry my Ruger LCP Max. I love how small and light it is but I definitely do not shoot it as well out past 20 yards as I do the Glock and especially the Sig P365 380.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am really enjoying my P365 380. Bought it last year and have put around 500 trouble free rounds through it. A friend went to the range with me, tried it, and liked it more than her Shield EZ and a few other guns she rented to try out so she bought one. I carry both a 10 and 12 round mag but just got a couple of MTX 365 380 +3 Round Magazine Extenders from XTech Tactical that convert the standard 10 round mag. I installed one last night and will take it to the range this weekend to make sure it runs.

I also like to carry my Glock 42 with Pearce 7 round mags and since they are so light, I generally carry two extras so that I have 21 rounds. And every once in awhile I will carry my Ruger LCP Max. I love how small and light it is but I definitely do not shoot it as well out past 20 yards as I do the Glock and especially the Sig P365 380.

The Sig 365 is about the smallest I can shoot comfortably. Did not know it came in 380, mine is 9mm. Its a pocket pistol for me. I can shoot it pretty accurately. I have a couple different SD rounds it gets loaded with.

I have a Bersa 380, but have not shot it in a couple years. Its bigger than the 365, so I likely won't use it for any kind of carry.

Did not like the LC9, the Sig 938 and a few others that were just too small for my taste.

Rock Torrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2021
    Tx
    As I got older I started noticing the weight of a .45 Magazine more and more. The gun wasn't bad, but the weight of the magazine was!

Started carrying a Glock 43 and it was just so much more comfortable that I continued. Magazine is loaded with alternating self-defense rounds and FMJ rounds. If I can't take care of the threat(s) in 7 rounds than I shouldn't be there! I do carry another couple of mags in the truck glove compartment, but I rarely take them out.

Don't be in stupid places doing stupid things with stupid people at stupid times and you should be okay!

Oz15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    SETX
    If you’re interested in a .380, try a Sig Sauer P238. It is 1911-ish in that it’s a metal framed, hammer fired pistol with a safety. I enjoy the heck out of shooting it and have zero reservations having it as an EDC tool. For the price and size, there are others but it is a fairly tame shooter compared to the non metal framed guns. Try it, you’ll like it.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I dont shoot a lot of 380. For .380 my favorite pistol is the CZ83. It's a decent size. Not micro but not full size. I wish they would make a newer version like Beretta did the cheetah.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom