• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CARRIMA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I do not yet have my CHL as of yet. *
    I had a gentleman refer to me to carry some legislation in my car with my pistol/shotgun that would prove the "castle law" in case of being pulled over or stopped for any reason. I first off thought this seemed like overkill... I mean it technically is the officer's duty to know penal code and such applicable laws, but it doesn't sound too cumbersome to have legislative backup.

Does this sound outrageous or something worth doing? If so what type/copy and from where should I print it or request a formal copy? Thanks!

-C.
    *please recommend CHL course/class if any known in DFW area
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/dallas-fort-worth/45814-chl-class-recommendations.html
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    If the officer is going to hassle you; they are going to hassle you no matter how much paper you have. Kind of like the cop who told a friend he "knew" my friend was going to run a stop sign until he saw the cop parked in the parking lot. My friend works a job where they are trained to stop at the stop sign, then if not able to see, pull up till you can. He did this ( I was already at the lunch location and observed my friend coming in. Not until I came over and just mentioned to my friend (no names or greetings) that I would be a witness for him having stopped and that the cop said he just knew he was going to run the stop sign did the cop drive off.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If not most, than many Texans keep a gun in the car. The key is keep it out of sight and if a Cop asks, don't lie!

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I always carry in my vehicle, and I don't have a chl, but have yet to be stopped by LEO while I am.

Note: if its at night, I always turn on the dome lights, lower window, sticky my hand out and leave other hand on steering wheel.To make the LEO feel comfortable with the situation.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    law states you may carry a loaded firearm in your car(out of sight)ie under your led sun visor, door panel, etc... with out chl the only time you may conceal,
    is from the house the car!! vice versa or to your place of employment if you are allowed, if you are stopped you do not have to disclose...
    unless asked direct

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I do not yet have my CHL as of yet. *
    I had a gentleman refer to me to carry some legislation in my car with my pistol/shotgun that would prove the "castle law" in case of being pulled over or stopped for any reason. I first off thought this seemed like overkill... I mean it technically is the officer's duty to know penal code and such applicable laws, but it doesn't sound too cumbersome to have legislative backup.

Does this sound outrageous or something worth doing? If so what type/copy and from where should I print it or request a formal copy? Thanks!

-C.
    *please recommend CHL course/class if any known in DFW area
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/dallas-fort-worth/45814-chl-class-recommendations.html

The Castle Law has nothing to do with where or under what conditions you can carry. I am a CHL instructor.

Oops, didn't see youngguns post.

CARRIMA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    law states you may carry a loaded firearm in your car(out of sight)ie under your led sun visor, door panel, etc... with out chl the only time you may conceal,
    is from the house the car!! vice versa or to your place of employment if you are allowed, if you are stopped you do not have to disclose...
    unless asked direct

Wait.. So you can carry at your place of employment without a CHL of it is not prohibited by law??

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Rules to care carry

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

This covers most gun laws in Texas including parking lots of an employer. Didn't double check the whole thing so I can't guarantee it is completely up to date.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

The employee parking lot thing only applies to CHL holders AFAIK.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just to be clear, that is written in to the labor code.

If you can legally car carry you can legally lock it up in your car in most employee parking areas. But your employer can also fire your butt for breaking their company policy.

CHL holders have a little more protection but there are certain areas in which they are not.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just to be clear, that is written in to the labor code.

If you can legally car carry you can legally lock it up in your car in most employee parking areas. But your employer can also fire your butt for breaking their company policy.

CHL holders have a little more protection but there are certain areas in which they are not.

Actually, that is not what the labor reads at all. The law places a restriction on the employer, it gives no privilege or advantage to the employee, nor does it affect what is legal.

Top Bottom