• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    law states you may carry a loaded firearm in your car(out of sight)ie under your led sun visor, door panel, etc... with out chl the only time you may conceal,
    is from the house the car!! vice versa or to your place of employment if you are allowed, if you are stopped you do not have to disclose...
    unless asked direct

Can you carry concealed at place of employment if you have permission?
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Actually, that is not what the labor reads at all. The law places a restriction on the employer, it gives no privilege or advantage to the employee, nor does it affect what is legal.

Wasn't clear enough in my post I guess.

And I didn't say my post was take. From the labor code, only that the parking lot crap is written there. I have a link above that covers it.

The point I was trying to make is that if you carry in your car without CHL and get caught at work it is not illegal but may be against company policy. My point was exactly what you stated, it has nothing to do with legality.

IMO, if the labor code limits what my employer can fire me for it is at the same time giving me an advantage or privilege(not the word i prefer for it) In this case a CHL holder has the advantage of being able to leave a weapon locked in the car with out fear of getting caught(at least in theory).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Remember that there are other laws that come into play here............

If she is a school teacher and has a gun in her car, and does not have a CHL she is violating federal law.

If she works at some of the petrochemical plants she could be in violation of state law if she has a gun in the car and no CHL.

52.062 has a number of other exceptions to the labor law.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Which is why the OP should read this.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Edit: I didn't think to add "most places" in my reply to TXI. Good catch, would have been misleading.

The OP should still read the link though as it has pretty much all the laws pertaining to handguns condensed in to one area.

Last edited:

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Sorry but I cannot see any LEO reading materials you want to present during a traffic stop.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    if the officer is going to hassle you; they are going to hassle you no matter how much paper you have. Kind of like the cop who told a friend he "knew" my friend was going to run a stop sign until he saw the cop parked in the parking lot. My friend works a job where they are trained to stop at the stop sign, then if not able to see, pull up till you can. He did this ( i was already at the lunch location and observed my friend coming in. Not until i came over and just mentioned to my friend (no names or greetings) that i would be a witness for him having stopped and that the cop said he just knew he was going to run the stop sign did the cop drive off.
    ftp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sorry but I cannot see any LEO reading materials you want to present during a traffic stop.

Why not????

We actually carry a paper explaining why we don't run log books in our trucks and have had to use it because the LE who stopped us was not aware of the exemption.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Wasn't clear enough in my post I guess.

And I didn't say my post was take. From the labor code, only that the parking lot crap is written there. I have a link above that covers it.

The point I was trying to make is that if you carry in your car without CHL and get caught at work it is not illegal but may be against company policy. My point was exactly what you stated, it has nothing to do with legality.

IMO, if the labor code limits what my employer can fire me for it is at the same time giving me an advantage or privilege(not the word i prefer for it) In this case a CHL holder has the advantage of being able to leave a weapon locked in the car with out fear of getting caught(at least in theory).

The problem is theory and reality are not related in this situation. There is no penalty or sanction for an employer that violates the law. There is no recourse for the employee fired for violating an unlawful policy. Perhaps you could sue, while unemployed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I suspect a law suite would be hard to prove as the employer would likely claim a different reason for the employees termination.

I believe we are pretty much in agreement and won't argue the semantics.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    My two cents on the OP's original question: would having copies of the Texas Penal Code available to a peace officer for review prevent you from taking a ride downtown? Probably not. I've got a hunch that most LEO's would find the lesson plan rather irritating.
    The best way to aviod the ride is to be familiar with the law, follow it, and keep a low profile. IMHO, the ONLY appropriate place for making legal arguments is a court-room or judge's chambers, and I'ld prefer to let a lawyer do the talking.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    If not most, than many Texans keep a gun in the car. The key is keep it out of sight and if a Cop asks, don't lie!

I carry daily in my car. I've been stopped for speeding by TCSO while armed in my vehicle. The only strife I got was that I didn't have the weapon completely concealed. He informed me that the weapon must not be visible from the outside at all.. Not just from other vehicles (as I had interpreted it) He cleared me up saying throw a bandanna over it and your good.

One of the very first things I do when stopped is to inform the officer I am armed. It goes something like "DL and Insurance please".. yes sir here is my paper work, and I want to make you aware I am armed. Typically they ask where your weapon is (dont reach for it.. ) and depending on their comfort level they may tell you to sit tight, or get out of the vehicle.

CARRIMA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I carry daily in my car. I've been stopped for speeding by TCSO while armed in my vehicle. The only strife I got was that I didn't have the weapon completely concealed. He informed me that the weapon must not be visible from the outside at all.. Not just from other vehicles (as I had interpreted it) He cleared me up saying throw a bandanna over it and your good.

One of the very first things I do when stopped is to inform the officer I am armed. It goes something like "DL and Insurance please".. yes sir here is my paper work, and I want to make you aware I am armed. Typically they ask where your weapon is (dont reach for it.. ) and depending on their comfort level they may tell you to sit tight, or get out of the vehicle.
    Good info, I was curious how that goes. Thanks!
    -C.

CARRIMA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My two cents on the OP's original question: would having copies of the Texas Penal Code available to a peace officer for review prevent you from taking a ride downtown? Probably not. I've got a hunch that most LEO's would find the lesson plan rather irritating.
    The best way to aviod the ride is to be familiar with the law, follow it, and keep a low profile. IMHO, the ONLY appropriate place for making legal arguments is a court-room or judge's chambers, and I'ld prefer to let a lawyer do the talking.
    Good point! Thats kind of what I was thinking. I appreciate your help!
    -C.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Good info, I was curious how that goes. Thanks!
    -C.

No problem, be sure to do yourself a favor, if you get stopped, and be sure to pull over somewhere safe (the side of the road isnt always the best choice) turn on your dome light (if its dark), roll down your windows and keep your hands where he can see them.

Making the officer feel safe has gotten me out of trouble a few times.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I always keep my set my wallet on the dash and keep my hands on the wheel till asked for something.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom