• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasGal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Bacliff, TX
    Hiya,

I have *heard* that it is legal to carry a gun from the place of purchase, to your home with no need for a CHL? Is that true? Is it also true that you can carry a gun to/from a gun range without a license? Logic tells me it outta be legal, because how else can I familiarize myself with a gun if I can't buy one, get it home, and then back and forth to the gun range, prior to pursuing my CHL!?

Thoughts, Answers?

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hiya,

I have *heard* that it is legal to carry a gun from the place of purchase, to your home with no need for a CHL? Is that true? Is it also true that you can carry a gun to/from a gun range without a license? Logic tells me it outta be legal, because how else can I familiarize myself with a gun if I can't buy one, get it home, and then back and forth to the gun range, prior to pursuing my CHL!?

Thoughts, Answers?

Thanks,
    Tracy

Click on my name and read my Blogs here. You need no CHL to carry a handgun to your vehicle or to have it accessible in your vehicle, if you are a law abiding citizen and the gun is not in plain view. The code also makes it lawful to shoot at a range.

Again, my blog explains it clearly.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Hiya,

Thoughts, Answers?

Thanks,
    Tracy

we did not have the CHL system till 1995, but we have been carrying guns legally under the law since about 1871.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that is an interesting original question.

if i walk to a gun store, and buy a new pistol, do i have to get a ride home?

i walk about 99% of the places i go, and have always thought it was inconvenient tha tif i wanted ot buy something id have to go via car.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I bought numerous guns before getting my CHL, and people walk out of Academy, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's Sporting Goods and even Walmart all the time with guns they just bought.

To be safe, just keep it unloaded and in the case.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    that is an interesting original question.

if i walk to a gun store, and buy a new pistol, do i have to get a ride home?

i walk about 99% of the places i go, and have always thought it was inconvenient tha tif i wanted ot buy something id have to go via car.

I'm not exactly sure what the laws say, but I believe the ruling is if you are going to or from a place where legal activities will be conducted with the fire arm you are okay, provided it's out of sight in a car, and unloaded and secured when you are walking to the car. I assume that just walking the same would apply. .Used to be that if you didn't have a CHL you had to have the gun unloaded and out of reach, but that was recently changed so that you can now have a loaded gun in your car provided you can legally own the gun, and it is out of sight.

Just go to any gun show and you'll see plenty of people walking in plain sight with uncased guns as they walk through the parking lot to enter. And there are always plenty of LEO at such shows.

I say use some common sense. Don't come walking out of your house with an uncased .44 mag in your hand.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm not exactly sure what the laws say, but I believe the ruling is if you are going to or from a place where legal activities will be conducted with the fire arm you are okay, provided it's out of sight in a car, and unloaded and secured when you are walking to the car. I assume that just walking the same would apply. .Used to be that if you didn't have a CHL you had to have the gun unloaded and out of reach, but that was recently changed so that you can now have a loaded gun in your car provided you can legally own the gun, and it is out of sight.

Just go to any gun show and you'll see plenty of people walking in plain sight with uncased guns as they walk through the parking lot to enter. And there are always plenty of LEO at such shows.

I say use some common sense. Don't come walking out of your house with an uncased .44 mag in your hand.

There are actually different concepts in use here. The law making the carry of a handgun unlawful specifically makes it lawful to carry TO your car and while in it, as long as you keep it concealed and are a law abiding citizen (see penal code 46.02 for the actual law)

There is no law that makes it lawful to carry from a store to home on foot. However, I believe there is case law addressing that, and the case law is that there was no violation for a person to carry from store to home. There is no need for the gun to be unloaded. Texas does not address the loaded status of firearms except for the crime of making a readily dischargable firearm accessable to a child.

It is lawful to carry to and from a lawful sporting event where the handgun is commonly used. I guess a gun show is a lawful sporting event.

.3937 inches

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    North Texas
    I have never understood why someone would get a CHL, unless they made the choice to get into a line of work which required one. Throughout history, and I believe without fail, those people are the first to get their firearms confiscated. On the surface it would appear that many of our God-given rights have been, by fiat whittled away. But as long as there are men and women who do not acknowledge unlawful statues then for us there is no infringement per se, just some inconvenience.

Common must still be used, but common sense has always been a necessary element of individual responsibility. The part about " . . . shall not be infringed." leaves no wriggle room for some such as myself. Unfortunately I am in a minority. But that's okay because we are a republic, which protects the rights of individuals, not a democracy which is 49.9% losing their right/s to the 50.1%.

People have been so brainwashed with all manner of red herring arguments they've lost sight of what the founders did for us. No matter, as long as there's still even a minority among the population who understand that we already have an unalienable right to keep and bear arms, those rights cannot be surrendered, sold, or suspended no matter what tyranny may be temporarily at power at any given time - and no matter what any illegitimate government may have secretly done to attempt to assign a lien to our rights it cannot stand. You can pronounce unalienable as un - a - LIEN - able. No liens can be attched to such rights contrary to inalienable. Our founders did not make this single letter distinction by mistake.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment II goes further than just prohibiting ANY government at ANY level from even contemplating the restriction of our natural rights concerning the keeping and bearing of arms - oh yes it goes much further. Even before stating that right, it first outlines very succinctly our responsibility to keep and bear them for the preservation of our rights:

" . . . .being necessary to the security of a free state . . . "

So should you open carry in Texas and expect the police (peace officers are long gone) officer to acknowledge your natural rights after you explain them to him? Actually you probably wouldn't get the chance to explain until after he tazed you, cuffed you, and tossed you in the back seat of his cruiser or the ambulance if you're lucky.

So, you have to use common sense. I conceal carry if I am going into an area where I think I need protection - which you could argue is almost anywhere these days - but I don't do so in stores or other public places usually. I always have a sidearm and long gun with me when I travel even if just to town. I have a chronic speeding problem and have been pulled over plenty of times over the years and have never been asked if I have firearms in the truck. On some of those occasions the officer saw the long gun laying on the back seat and at most there was a passing comment or "going hunting?" type thing.

If I am ever asked if I have firearms in the truck and none are visible my answer will be "no".

TexasGal, I know it may seem I went much further to answer your question than what seems necessary, but as yet you have not gotten a correct full and answer to your question, and I wanted you to know that while I am in the minority today, even if only 1% of gun owners still understand that our rights are unalienable just as the founders noted, that means there's at least a million or two of us. But what if that percentage is 5%? What if 10%!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have never understood why someone would get a CHL, unless they made the choice to get into a line of work which required one. Throughout history, and I believe without fail, those people are the first to get their firearms confiscated. On the surface it would appear that many of our God-given rights have been, by fiat whittled away. But as long as there are men and women who do not acknowledge unlawful statues then for us there is no infringement per se, just some inconvenience.
    We get a CHL so as not to go to jail for carrying outside of our vehicle.

Common must still be used, but common sense has always been a necessary element of individual responsibility. The part about " . . . shall not be infringed." leaves no wriggle room for some such as myself. Unfortunately I am in a minority. But that's okay because we are a republic, which protects the rights of individuals, not a democracy which is 49.9% losing their right/s to the 50.1%.
    Perhaps you should read some superme court rulings. YOUR belief matters not in a court of law.

So should you open carry in Texas and expect the police (peace officers are long gone) officer to acknowledge your natural rights after you explain them to him? Actually you probably wouldn't get the chance to explain until after he tazed you, cuffed you, and tossed you in the back seat of his cruiser or the ambulance if you're lucky.

So, you have to use common sense. I conceal carry if I am going into an area where I think I need protection - which you could argue is almost anywhere these days - but I don't do so in stores or other public places usually. I always have a sidearm and long gun with me when I travel even if just to town. I have a chronic speeding problem and have been pulled over plenty of times over the years and have never been asked if I have firearms in the truck. On some of those occasions the officer saw the long gun laying on the back seat and at most there was a passing comment or "going hunting?" type thing.

If I am ever asked if I have firearms in the truck and none are visible my answer will be "no".
    Without a CHL there in no law requiring you to disclose. Even with a CHL there is no penalty if you don't.

TexasGal, I know it may seem I went much further to answer your question than what seems necessary, but as yet you have not gotten a correct full and answer to your question,!

Good Grief. She has been fully and accurately answered here. The fact that YOU don't like the laws does not make them wrong or unconstitutional.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Here’s a little tip regarding carrying a firearm to and from your car, when it’s not being used for self defense. If you have a gun case, use it. Walking back and forth to your car carrying a gun in a way that looks like you’re going to shoot will inspire on lookers to call the cops. You may not be breaking the law but trust me when I tell you that you want to avoid that conversation with a cop. If you don’t have a gun case, carry it with the breach open.
    What does she do with the long guns in the rifle rack?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    She may not qualify for a CHL.
    Millions of Texans traveled, hunted, fished, or camped before CHLs came along.
    It was fun carrying AOW shotguns and SBRs concealed as well as openly, years before CHLs.

This is to what I was responding;
    I have never understood why someone would get a CHL, unless they made the choice to get into a line of work which required one

Eligibility is not the issue.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Between my apartment and truck, I unload mine G17 and stick it backwards in my lefthand pocket, mag and extra bullet in my hand. It conceals nicely for the 20' walk.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    kak why would you unload your weapon to go twenty feet and carry it that way it's unnessesary and if you need it before you get to the vehicle it's useless.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    No CHL here,

No Retreat, No Surrender.

(1) I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense

(2) I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

(3) If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

(4) If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me, and will back them up in every way.

(5) When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give only my name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

(6) I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm a husband and father of four. A CHL lets me carry while minimizing the risk of spending time away from them in prison. I am all for changing the laws with my vote and voice to make CHL become a thing of the past. I've lived long enough to see how far we've come so far and how things are working in the direction I'd like to head.

Top Bottom