ARJ Defense ad

Cheaper Than Dirt Guns! New Store in Austin.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Agree the near bait and switch is wrong. If their system couldn't keep up with changes they needed to fix that on their end.

Like I said I dont buy from them. They were practicing a different business model than many with their high prices but actually had inventory in stock.

I wonder why they dont try and make amends with the gun community? Like do a whole bunch of free give aways or sales of advertise guaranteed prices.

There's half a chance that with decent marketing in the area, many of their 'new' customers won't know anything about their online pricing practices. Heck, Gander tried to charge me full price on an order that clearly had a proper $20 discount on it. I don't hold that against them as much as their crazy pistol prices! I'll drop by the new CTD; but it will be their current pricing that will determine my interest in purchasing.
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Like I said I dont buy from them.

I wonder why they dont try and make amends with the gun community? Like do a whole bunch of free give aways or sales of advertise guaranteed prices.
    I agree with the "don't like the price, just don't buy from them" mentality, but it's also good to warn people that might be naive to their ways. Plus as I pointed out earlier they kowtowed to the political atmosphere at the time.

They do a crap load of advertising. You'd think they own the sportsman's channel with all the sponsorship you see on there. I don't see them really making any sort of amends, tho.

Last edited:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I'm still surprised so many were upset about their wildly high prices.

Everyone wants to scream about the free market, well they were out there in the free market charging what the market would allow.

I haven't bought anything from them in probably 2-3 years, but i don't rail against them.

Now if they aren't on board politically or if they have deceptive practices I can dislike them for that.

If they want to sell a box of 9mm for $100, that's the free market right?

Yes they certainly should be allowed to set their prices as they see fit. But the free market doesn't shield them from the backlash of their customers.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the "don't like the price, just don't buy from them" mentality, but it's also good to warn people that might be naive to their ways. Plus as I pointed out earlier they kowtowed

They do a crap load of advertising. You'd think they own the sportsman's channel with all the sponsorship you see on there. I don't see them really making any sort of amends, tho.

I usually forget the average TGT member is not the average gun owner and certainly is not normal.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    it IS gouging but people do choose to be gouged when they buy. As I recall, state attorney generals are far to happy to press charges against buisness like gas stations who charge a premium for commodities like gasoline, ice, plywood, water in a natural or a man-made disaster. I'm not saying this is a solution, I'm just saying it IS price gouging to sell items at a 1000% margin that used to have a 5% ~ 30% margin. I don't want to threadjack this topic as we've beat this whole gouging topic to death. Bottom line is CTD can suck on rotten eggs and so can people who spend money with them knowingly.

Not defending ctd but your comparison isn't apples to apples. In a natural disaster those items are necessities. What ctd is gouging on wouldn't necessarily be considered necessities unless a full blown riot is going on in the vicinity of their stores and even then it's not like they'll have their doors open for customers. If you don't like their prices buy elsewhere. Free market will sort it out in the end.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I usually forget the average TGT member is not the average gun owner and certainly is not normal.
    Thanks, Cpt Obvious

captain-obvious-hed-2014_0.jpg

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Not defending ctd but your comparison isn't apples to apples. In a natural disaster those items are necessities. What ctd is gouging on wouldn't necessarily be considered necessities unless a full blown riot is going on in the vicinity of their stores and even then it's not like they'll have their doors open for customers. If you don't like their prices buy elsewhere. Free market will sort it out in the end.

yep and I plan to do that, however there are newbs and peole who's only priority in life is to save two bux. Thus those people will suck back up to CTD when they put something on sale.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    yep and I plan to do that, however there are newbs and peole who's only priority in life is to save two bux. Thus those people will suck back up to CTD when they put something on sale.

That's free market at work. If they are the lowest seller why not buy from them? It's not like they are gouging. Isn't this what everyone wants, Ctd to sell at a fair price?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    "If you sleep with dogs, you get fleas."

CTD is a slimy company in every possible way. Yeah, sometimes you might get something cheap. But sooner or later you will get badly burned by dealing with them. They suck.

Meanwhile there are reputable companies that deal with fair pricing. Places like Midway, Grafs, and Magpul. You won't get burned and in the long run you'll get more for your money.

I know, there are some of you (esp. you really young guys) that think you're smarter than those of us with more experience who have seen what happens with companies (and people) with no class. Go ahead and deal with places like CTD; just don't come back here whining about it when you've been dutifully warned.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's free market at work. If they are the lowest seller why not buy from them? It's not like they are gouging. Isn't this what everyone wants, Ctd to sell at a fair price?
    Our ire isn't based solely on the price. Cancelling orders while simultaneously raising prices and telling people to re-order at the new price, mysteriously finding stock of high demand items at a 500% mark-up, supporting political whims that curb our freedoms, basically being scared weenies by suspending firearm sales... It all adds up to why CTD sucks.

Besides, on average they are never the lowest price. You can get all your Tapco crap from Amazon for cheaper. That's usually where I get mine ;)

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know someone that purchased an AR from CTD that he had been saving up for. He was extremely excited he got the one he wanted for a good price. A week later, they had not shipped. He called, they said "Yea, we had two when you ordered, yours is sitting here and will ship out today."

A time passed, and nothing. Same old story of "Oh yea, we're shipping it now." Then Sandy Hook happened, he called them and they said "We are out of stock." He asked why they told him they didn't have any last time he called. They argued, and eventually he got refunded.

After that, AR prices went all stupid...

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I was looking for something to do while my daughter was at drivers ed in McKinney today. Tried stopping by Runner Runner but that was a no-go. So... I instead swung by CTD, not to buy anything but purely for entertainment and boy was I entertained:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    ga4ynuta.jpg

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
    aga2ynaq.jpg

OMGROFLCOPTER!!!!
    ga7a7uje.jpg

LOLOLOLOLO..gah,, LTIP
    erydahap.jpg

IMPD2079

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    New Braunfels, Texas
    :police:We have a Dicks Sporting Goods in New Braunfels. They must have caved in to the Libtards because they do not sell handguns. Their ammo supply is not good at all. I like Academy Sports. Best prices on ammo and they sell lots of guns. A lot cheaper then the pretty store in Buda.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    :police:We have a Dicks Sporting Goods in New Braunfels. They must have caved in to the Libtards because they do not sell handguns. Their ammo supply is not good at all. I like Academy Sports. Best prices on ammo and they sell lots of guns. A lot cheaper then the pretty store in Buda.

Slimy DICKS screwed Troy out of millions when they turned Full Libtard after Sandy Hook and jerked on their contract and fought to return money to customers.

**** them too rat fucking bastards.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dicks can suck them. I've been there a couple of times and learned my lesson. CTD isn't even worth a post.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)

No. "everyone" (well from what I can tell, 98% of the people on this board) wants CTD to roll over and die. We don't support vendors who stab us in the back at every opportunity during the craze, then drop their prices when the craze is over. We'd rather spend a couple more bux on vendors who will be there for us when the going gets tough.

Sure, CTD may be selling SOME things at reasonable prices now, but If you don't spend your money with a conscience, you'll end up with a bunch of jack wagons like CTD.

Top Bottom