Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There used to be a place in San Angelo called Harlow’s. I think they had a place in Abilene, too; maybe Abilene was the original location. [mention]Vaquero [/mention] may remember it, I think they’ve been closed close to 20 years now.

Anyways, the CFS was about the size of a pie plate. Came by itself on the plate. Pan fried in a cast iron skillet is what they said. It swam in an ocean of buttermilk gravy. I think it was fries and okra as the standard choices for the sides, and they were served separately.

For whatever reason, that CFS is the gold standard which I’ve judged all others by. Seems all that’s left in San Angelo with any soul and heritage is Zenter’s, Henry’s, and Stockman’s. I reckon nobody needs any more than a good steak place, Tex Mex joint, and stockyard cafe to eat well and live a good life.

Some of you heretics are probably gonna bitch I didn’t include a barbecue joint in there. Way I figure it, somethings a man just has to do for himself.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    There used to be a place in San Angelo called Harlow’s. I think they had a place in Abilene, too; maybe Abilene was the original location. [mention]Vaquero [/mention] may remember it, I think they’ve been closed close to 20 years now.

Anyways, the CFS was about the size of a pie plate. Came by itself on the plate. Pan fried in a cast iron skillet is what they said. It swam in an ocean of buttermilk gravy. I think it was fries and okra as the standard choices for the sides, and they were served separately.

For whatever reason, that CFS is the gold standard which I’ve judged all others by. Seems all that’s left in San Angelo with any soul and heritage is Zenter’s, Henry’s, and Stockman’s. I reckon nobody needs any more than a good steak place, Tex Mex joint, and stockyard cafe to eat well and live a good life.

Some of you heretics are probably gonna bitch I didn’t include a barbecue joint in there. Way I figure it, somethings a just has to do for himself.
    Similarly used to be a place in Somerville. A "small" was an entire round steak. Lapping over the edges of a large dinner plate. Sides came on a separate plate. A "large" was all you can eat. Fantastic chicken fried steak. Long gone though.

Heitmiller's in Elm Mott on I35 was excellent for CFS as well. They sold and moved to a fancy location on the north side of Waco on I35.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Was that Charlie Heitmiller’s place? Used to be called the family steakhouse or something like that? I think I remember the place.
    Heitmillers' really went downhill after the owners retired and went hands-off of the business.

If you get east of Waco, visit Sam's Original Restaurant in Fairfield. They have excellent CFS....and serve it daily on their buffet....

(.....or did until all this mess started....)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Heitmillers' really went downhill after the owners retired and went hands-off of the business.

If you get east of Waco, visit Sam's Original Restaurant in Fairfield. They have excellent CFS....and serve it daily on their buffet....

(.....or did until all this mess started....)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sam's is excellent! If you eat the CFS off the buffet, they are sort of small, but it's all you can eat buffet, so it's not an issue for me.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One of the last times the wife and I were on vacation, we ate at the Grist Mill in Gruene. I had the CFS, and she had grilled chicken. Their CFS was excellent! We got an appetizer of onion rings. Those very large hand battered type of onion rings. They brought out this large basket of them. Those were beyond great.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Was that Charlie Heitmiller’s place? Used to be called the family steakhouse or something like that? I think I remember the place.
    Yep. He used to wander around the restaurant greeting everybody. You filled out your own order with the little pencils they had.

He died of a heart attack quite some time ago. Heard the son finally gave up and sold out.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

Some of you heretics are probably gonna bitch I didn’t include a barbecue joint in there. Way I figure it, somethings a just has to do for himself.
    That was, and is Zenterners. Henry cooked there back in the day. So, it's almost exactly the same CFS and gravy at Henry's original cafe. Lordy, I'm drooling. I've led a caravan on the 90 mile , one way, trip just for that steak more than once. For a few years Zenterners had a restaurant in Abilene. Then it closed and Henry's opened it up under a more Mexican name. Same CFS.
    The golden years.
    Thus, the pilgrimage to San Angelo on occasion.
    While there, we plead for a re-opening in the key city.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That was, and is Zenterners. Henry cooked there back in the day. So, it's almost exactly the same CFS and gravy at Henry's original cafe. Lordy, I'm drooling. I've led a caravan on the 90 mile , one way, trip just for that steak more than once. For a few years Zenterners had a restaurant in Abilene. Then it closed and Henry's opened it up under a more Mexican name. Same CFS.
    The golden years.
    Thus, the pilgrimage to San Angelo on occasion.
    While there, we plead for a re-opening in the key city.

Zenter’s had a great CFS, too. Harlow’s was just up the street from Henry’s, across from the Sonic at Santa Fe Park/Golf Course...next to the river. Looking at Google Maps, the Harlow’s building appears to have been bulldozed at some point.

My mouth is watering bad enough I may need to make the hike to Henry’s when things calm down.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Oh, Harlowes was a bbq joint up by the interstate. Had lots of Air Force memorabilia.
    Now it's Belles. Chicken joint exactly like Babes in the DFW.
    Still a respectable CFS.

Babes is nearby and while I enjoy their food, their CFS is a bit unusual. They tenderized the steak until it's paper thin. So it covers the plate but the batter is as much of the steak as the meat. Tastes good but I prefer a little more beef than batter in my CFS.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    On a related topic. Clear Springs has the best onion rings I have ever tasted. Chicken tenders are great, but I can't remember if I have tried their CFS.

Top Bottom