• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I still have issues paying $1.00 a bullet for many of these rounds...I know, I know "you can't put a cost on protection"...but dang - expensive and almost impossible to find. Think I will stick with Hornady Critical Defense since I found it locally...and it's a good round. Thanks for the thread- and the extra research!
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I still have issues paying $1.00 a bullet for many of these rounds...I know, I know "you can't put a cost on protection"...but dang - expensive and almost impossible to find. Think I will stick with Hornady Critical Defense since I found it locally...and it's a good round. Thanks for the thread- and the extra research!

I like to go on ammotogo.com and you can fine some LEO ammo boxes than are better deals. They have 50 rounds instead of the 20 or 25 for non-LEO, and it is about the same price. With shipping, it is closer to 60-80 cents per shot, depending.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I carry Federal 158gr +p SWCHPs in my Smith 637, Hornady Critical Defense in my PM9 and either 165gr +p Pow'RBalls or 230gr Golden Sabers in my 1911s, both because they feed well and are as accurate as I am ... I used to just go to my favorite gun shop to buy ammo, but of course those days are over ... got the Critical Defense at Cabela's recently, mail order after a four-week wait, the rest I got at the gun show in Austin, pre-Obama ...

CZLover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Austin
    I looked this weekend and I have the regular Hydrashok's. I like them even tho they are widely considered to be "old cop rounds".
    That's what I use in my Beretta Model 84 .380. I figure it makes that little gun A LOT more effective. And I like that because my wife is fully willing to handle it over any of my other guns.

CZLover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for all the penetration/self defense round studies. It is much easier to make an educated purchase in a short amount of time.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    a more specific question. what bullet weight do you use?

Is there a significant difference in 124gr and 147gr for 9mm (assume the same make/model/type ammo)?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The 147 grains have a higher penetration, but a lot of the early models didn't fly so straight. You'll hear a lot of bad stuff about them if you google them, but I think that is pretty much old news.

I personally like the 124's in my carry gun (no particular reason I like the bonded bullets, and that is what they have. They shoot well in my gun), but I keep 115's in my home gun. I think they will penetrate fewer walls. This is just my opinion.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As a general rule of thumb you want to carry the heaviest round you can. 230-45, 180-40, 147-9mm etc.... I carry the 180's in my .40 cause they tend to expand better and stay in a target better than the light rounds. The light rounds fly to fast and require more to stop.
    P.S I'm no scientist so this is all my opinion based on research that I read it is not final nor is it conclusive, if you have something to prove me wrong I'd love to see it. I just want the most effective round I can get.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've found the Federal 147, either the Hydra Shok or the HST are pretty accurate. However, I think any hollow point with a thin edge at the tip runs the risk of being dented or slightly deformed if it encounters a very steep angled feed ramp (like Kahrs) and this will of course effect accuracy.

I subscribe to the heaviest bullet theory, and usually stay away from +p.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You know Navy Guy I have that same theory on feed ramps. That is one reason I like my CZ 75, it has a long smooth feed ramp. That is why I feel comfortable (one could say safe) using the HydraShok in that particular gun.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    do yall think that that the heavier rounds have a harder time expanding (cause their velocity is lower).

I also avoid +p when I can avoid it (Ijust don't think it is that important in a full sized gun).

I'm not an expert either.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    do yall think that that the heavier rounds have a harder time expanding (cause their velocity is lower).

I also avoid +p when I can avoid it (Ijust don't think it is that important in a full sized gun).

In my opinion the extra weight and slower trajectory actually helps the bullet expand. The faster (lighter weight) bullets tend to go threw the target before completely expanding. I think that the heavier bullets stay in the target better for that reason. Just my opinion tho.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

Probally depending on the bullet type but I would think if they expand rapidly you would get less penetration.Know from my own experiance I shot 2 diff. .45 ACP rounds into some clay around a stock tank then doug the bullets back out for comparision. The 2 rounds were old school 230 grain Hydrashocks and Federals new 180 grain expanding full metal jackets the FMJ's penetrated a lil bit deeper but expanded alot and were very consistant unlike the Hydrashocks some expanded good but not as good as the others.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I am carrying Federal HST in my STI Ranger II and Federal hydrashok in my Glock 27 right now. I would like to try the Hornady critical defense, but I don't think they have it in 40 and 45 yet.......do they? I pretty much rotate between Federal, Hornady and Gold Dot. What ever I can get a good deal on. I have always got my carry ammo through ammunitiontogo.com. They beat all the rip off artist gun shops that I ahve been in around Houston.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    My favorite ammo is 230 grain +P Gold Dots for .45 ACP.

For 9mm my favorite is the 115 grain Critical Defense.

I emailed Hornady about when they were planning on a .45 ACP Critical Defense and their response was that they are not planning on it this year but to check back next year so we are SOL on that for now.

Top Bottom