Chrysler/Fiat

country_boy

TGT Addict
Feb 7, 2009
Round Rock
What are ya'lls opinion on this merger? I want to see what happens first before getting worked up over it, might actually be a good thing to get the old mopar brand back in gear. So far the plans are to make Chrysler an independent company over here but, still owned by fiat. Fiat will give their new company billions worth of small car and engine technology. They will still keep dodge,chrysler, jeep and mopar brands opened. As along as they are aloud to keep building the dodge ram truck, Ill be ok.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
From one perspective, I can understand it. I mean with corporations, maintaining profitability, minimizing loss, etc is everything. Honestly though, I personally don't think that any foreign corporation, trust/hedge fund, or other entity should be allowed to own US assets of this nature. As far as I'm concerned, corporations like our car manufacturers are sort of a part of our infrastructure in a way. Once you start selling stuff off like that to foreign interests, honestly I only see that going down hill for the interests of the American people.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2009
Ft.Worth
From one perspective, I can understand it. I mean with corporations, maintaining profitability, minimizing loss, etc is everything. Honestly though, I personally don't think that any foreign corporation, trust/hedge fund, or other entity should be allowed to own US assets of this nature. As far as I'm concerned, corporations like our car manufacturers are sort of a part of our infrastructure in a way. Once you start selling stuff off like that to foreign interests, honestly I only see that going down hill for the interests of the American people.
Not much to add to that but Chrysler has already been a partly foreign owned company.

"Prior to 1998, Chrysler Corporation traded under the "C" symbol on the New York Stock Exchange. Under DaimlerChrysler, the company was named "DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC", with its U.S. operations generally referred to as the "Chrysler Group". On May 14, 2007, DaimlerChrysler announced the sale of 80.1% of Chrysler Group to American private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., although Daimler continued to hold a 19.9% stake. This was when the company took on its current name.[7] The deal was finalized on August 3, 2007.[8] On April 27, 2009, Daimler AG signed a binding agreement to give up its 19.9% remaining stake in Chrysler LLC to Cerberus Capital Management and pay as much as $600 million into the automaker's pension fund.[9] On April 30, 2009 Chrysler filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and announced a partnership with Italian automaker Fiat."

Really can't say what's going to happen to Mopar.
Fiat and Obamanation may turn it into nothing more than the American made Yugo!!!!

308nato

TGT Addict
Mar 9, 2008
Between Tomball & Waller
I have a Dodge pickup and like it even tho the gas mileage sucks but now it looks like I will go back to Ford who didnt take govment money and
still has it head above water hopefully.

jdh

BANNED!!!
Mar 2, 2008
Unless the engines are from the scarlet harlot/prancing horse brand I am done with Cry cars. It is bad enough my current Dodge has a modified mexican market engine in it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Heh, by "modified" you must mean "actually has pollution controls".

I'm not sure that handing the reigns over to Fiat - a company who couldn't manage to stay afloat in the US market because they didn't understand what Americans wanted - is a very good idea if you want Mopar to live.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I recently dumped our GMC Suburban and replaced it with another Ford. I will not buy another GM or Chrysler product.

Fiats always seemed to suck at building Fiats. Not sure how they are now.

Rocket_Cowboy

Apr 30, 2009
Plano, TX
If Fiat runs Chrysler hands off as they've done with Ferrari, it could go either way. After all, Chrysler running itself ran itself into the ground.

I don't have a problem with the Fiat ownership. We'll see where it goes from here. I'd rather it be Fiat owned than Obama owned.

Top Bottom