DK Firearms

Claiming "combat accuracy" is an excuse.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I agree. Not sure how that goes against the idea of "combat accuracy".
    It goes back to the title. People consider themselves competent if they are "combat accurate" and even then what passes for combat accuracy is usually not what should be considered acceptable.

I fell into a similar line of logic with never shooting beyond 7 yards. Why should I shoot past 7 yards when almost all self defense shooting is within that range? It is good enough.

Now im pushing myself to shoot at longer distances and it has benefited my shooting same as "combat accurate" shooters should try and tighten up their accuracy and it would benefit them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That video is the only place I have seen it claimed that combat accuracy only applied to a set distance.

It doesn't go against combat accuracy, it goes against people who don't know what combat accuracy actually is.

6" at 5 yards is acceptable, it means you are shooting to the limit of your ability while putting rounds where they count., Why should that not be acceptable? That doesn't mean that 24" is acceptable at 20 yards.

It sounds more like the maker of the video doesn't understand combat accuracy, or maybe it's purpose as it relates to self defense. I really don't think that is the case though. I think he is advertising and by using the terms loosely and incorrectly it gives him a platform to say his training is better. It's business and not unusual or bad IMO, and it doesn't mean his training is bad, or those who he disagrees with have good training. But the brush he is using is far too broad and seems to belittle something that is actually a good technique.

He probably teaches it in some form, or else newer shooters would be getting shot while trying to wait for that good shot that will land inside 4. That's not good mojo when things count.

It is ok to sacrifice a certain amount of precision to gain speed so long as the shots remain accurate. That is combat accuracy, not an excuse.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    YG I like when you say things that are obvious in an attempt to discredit points and prove your own. It is OK to sacrifice precision for speed to an extent? Of course it is.

But you need to be able to slide either way on that spectrum.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I never said otherwise. If fact, I said exactly that when I posted about keeping the same size group at longer distances.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Key points from video:

- Combat accuracy as "currently taught" is an excuse for poor shooting and poor instruction.

- 5" accuracy at 5 yards isnt really accuracy at all (yellow portion of my target)

- Skills degrade during stress for everyone including combat shooters. Target shooters start with an advantage

- 4" at 7 yards is more better than 8" at 5 yards

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Accuracy-hitting the target

Precision-putting shots very close together

If your target is 5" at 5 yards then a 5" group on the target is accurate.

Generally, being able to shoot very small, precise groups means you can shoot an accurate, but less precise group faster. I'm not debating that precision should not be practiced have not said that at all in this thread or any other.

I haven't seen a widespread teaching that only 5" groups at 5 yards should be practiced and I don't believe combat accuracy should be thrown out. His video makes no mention of trade offs in speed vs precision or how they might be traded under different situations.

He is only talking about accuracy in the video and leaving off the other half of the equation. That seems to be the basis he uses for his problem with "combat accuracy". He never differentiates how he says it is taught vs actual application and IIRC says it should not be taught because there is no standard. I disagree. There is as much standard as their is for his opinion that a 2" group is acceptable. That standard is target size.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Maybe you could expand on your comment for better context and help relate it to the type of situation we are discussing.

I wrote what I intended to write. Perhaps you could resist correcting or directing my opinions or evaluating them for relevance. If you don't approve of my posts, then feel free to not read them.

I do not agree with you, see things from your perspective or wish to debate you. Why not just let it go at that?

No one assigned you as monitor here to sort, sift or direct information as you see fit. You are not the boss and I will not follow your directions.

Have a nice day!

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Maybe you could expand on your comment for better context and help relate it to the type of situation we are discussing.

I wrote what I intended to write. Perhaps you could resist correcting or directing my opinions or evaluating them for relevance. If you don't approve of my posts, then feel free to not read them.

I do not agree with you, see things from your perspective or wish to debate you. Why not just let it go at that?

No one assigned you as monitor here to sort, sift or direct information as you see fit. You are not the boss and I will not follow your directions.

Have a nice day!

Flash

Then why bother joining the discussion?

Your comment had little/no relevance, I thought maybe you had something of value to add, my apologies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hunting hogs w pistols is more dynamic.

Try shooting moving targets while you're moving and score hits on vitals. You won't have to guess because it will either run off or be dead.

Fudd training rules!

Top Bottom