Gun Zone Deals

Claiming "combat accuracy" is an excuse.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't think anyone is downplaying the need for fundamentals.

It's not one or the other. It's pushing past the speed limit needed to maintain 2" groups when 2" groups aren't needed.

Classes teaching that should be taken after a shooter understands fundamentals. They needn't necessarily be mastered.

In that situation, a shooter putting a 5" group center mass at 5 yards is pushing themselves to the limit of speed while maintaining the accuracy needed to keep rounds where they count.

That is the goal in self defense, so I don't see the issue. The only issue I can find has to do with possible poor instructors who might not teach students to continue practicing fundamentals. I haven't seen or heard of many instructors who don't stress fundamentals, I'm sure there are a few out there though.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    LoL....I said a cool thread, not a good thread. Haha j/k..

Yea I agree the student should never take a class and say oh, well, I guess I'm a badass now and don't need to practice or do anything to get better...that's party the instructor and partly the student's fault.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    LoL....I said a cool thread, not a good thread. Haha j/k..

Yea I agree the student should never take a class and say oh, well, I guess I'm a badass now and don't need to practice or do anything to get better...that's party the instructor and partly the student's fault.
    Disagree. Strictly on the student. As a student my job is to seek training.
    It just ain't gonna knock on my door, nor fall out of the sky

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    :laughing: everybody is essentially saying the same thing and arguing about it...

I was watching some stuff about historical sword combat the other day and one thing that really stuck out to me was a comment about how under the stress of battle, people tended to regress to mostly just overhand chopping motions with swords; despite having been trained to mostly give point and only occasionally cut. Under stress your motor control degrades and you default to simpler movements that use those gross motor skills. Just thought it was really interesting that this isn't a new problem.

You can see that they were very aware of this fact in their day by looking at the design of civilian swords, "gentlemen's" swords, and military swords.

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know, I typed over a one thousand word response to this. Things just don't have to be this hard.

Learn to shoot as fast as you can possibly shoot

Learn to shoot as accurately as you can possibly shoot

Learn to combine both, then learn to do it on demand

It's that simple.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Squeeze everything you possibly can out of THIS:

71J-%2Bq-utuL._SX522_.jpg

Squeeze everything you possibly can out of every aspect of THESE:

16669161972_7e6a4ec1fa.jpg

Somewhere in between, you will find places where the two meet. Exactly where is up to you.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You know, I typed over a one thousand word response to this. Things just don't have to be this hard.

It's that simple.
    Travis hired an editor. :)

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    When I talk about the dot drill and people are like "why do you need to shoot tiny little groups, just hit the target" or "in a gunfight you won't use your sights anyways" these are the same folks who will claim their "combat accuracy" is good enough.
    Those are the same folks who've never been in a gunfight - it's their excuse for being a shit shot. I've been in a number of them and I was aware of my sights on all but one occasion, so I agree with you; I've been shooting 1" dots for decades because building accuracy is the basis for building speed.

Preaching to the choir here perhaps, but shooting a little dot forces you to concentrate on accuracy and it becomes easier over time - as you progress, you get faster at obtaining the same result and muscle memory starts to take over to the point where you're fast enough that you barely even need to consciously see your sights.

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX

Yep - and if it comes to a fight, as Wyatt Earp is claimed to have said: "Take your time, fast".

...I guess I'm a badass now and don't need to practice or do anything to get better...
    I see a lot of this in the CHL-community - many don't appreciate that it's not combat or shooting training or expertise of any kind other than, perhaps, knowing a little bit of law. That worries me a little, but... it's not my life and CHLers are very law-abiding folks as it is.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom