• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    Statistically you have the same chance of needing to defend yourself in church compared to going to Walmart. I googled it.

Sometimes I used to be in the church during off hours working on the sound system. you'd be surprised how many people just "stop by" and walk around. Churches and church staff have to be super careful these days. most are pretty big buildings with an office in an out of the way area. Perfect "fringe area" where help may not be readily available in the event an unfriendly visitor shows up.
    Venture Surplus ad

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    Pulled this from the 2013-2014 Texas Chl Laws and selected statutes: What am I missing here?

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
    knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter
    H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is
    concealed, on or about the license holder’s person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under
    Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business
    derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic
    beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic
    Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting
    event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a
    participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    (3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health
    and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under
    Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written
    authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of
    religious worship.

superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    poll question: how many times does the pastor, deacon body, leadership, etc have to verbally announce "no guns" to constitute effective notice? once? every week? monthly?

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Effective notice would have to be to everyone. That means that someone in charge would need to tell everyone they come into contact with every week unless you know that you have no new worshipers. Or they might just post a 30.06 sign at every entrance. Not sure that I want to sit defenseless to be victim.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Effective notice would have to be to everyone. That means that someone in charge would need to tell everyone they come into contact with every week unless you know that you have no new worshipers. Or they might just post a 30.06 sign at every entrance. Not sure that I want to sit defenseless to be victim.

That is not actually correct. They could tell just YOU not to carry, and YOU then have been given notice. Illegal for you to carry, but not me unless I am given some form of notice.

A property owner can give notice to one person, a few, or everyone.

Last edited:

dwsintxs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Addison, TX
    I am not a church-goer, but if I were, I don't know why I would NOT want to stay protected while attending. It is my belief that protecting oneself is a basic human right regardless of what country you live in and regardless of what other people believe. Governments and religions be damned. I have the right to keep myself safe.

superchief

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    Southwest Cow Town
    i don't think a church could find a religious justification for banning concealed carry. Might be afraid of people, but I don't remember any biblical proscription against carrying weapons in church (then, of course, I'm no scholar).

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    i don't think a church could find a religious justification for banning concealed carry. Might be afraid of people, but I don't remember any biblical proscription against carrying weapons in church (then, of course, I'm no scholar).

Any justification they could come up with would be personal opinions, biases, and fears. I've only seen 30.06 signs on huge super progressive megachurches. I have worked in a few for my job. 99.9% of all churches will not have the sign posted. Just keep your mouth shut and you will be fine. The worst they can do is tell you to leave if they find out you are carrying.

I told my pastor just because I wanted to be open and honest. He is 77 years old and his state trooper grandson is trying to get him to get his CHL. We had a guy on staff when I arrived who had his CHL. He turned out to have personal issues and had to leave. He started a huge argument over nothing and was hitting on a married woman in the church. I'm glad he went peacefully and was gone before I knew there was a problem. We have retired police and a few others who carry, so I feel pretty safe nowadays in church.

Top Bottom