Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's fascinating. It also jives with what I thought I heard when I listened to the audio.

Has anyone managed to confirm the type of Taser in use, i.e. one- or two-shot device?
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If you're carrying a firearm and someone attacks you with a Tazer, you're justified to use deadly force in your defense. If your attacker disengages or turns away, once you're full of adrenaline and made the decision to fire, how quickly can you be reasonably expected to dial back your mindset? A person can cover ground very quickly at sprint.

I won't comment on whether or not I think this was a good shoot, because I don't have the info to make that determination. I don't think anyone here does. But I believe this:

-Sometimes shooting a man in the back, who is running away, is the right thing to do.

-I really don't want to live in a society where cops (and other legally armed individuals) are afraid to shoot scumbags.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you're carrying a firearm and someone attacks you with a Tazer, you're justified to use deadly force in your defense. If your attacker disengages or turns away, once you're full of adrenaline and made the decision to fire, how quickly can you be reasonably expected to dial back your mindset? A person can cover ground very quickly at sprint.

I won't comment on whether or not I think this was a good shoot, because I don't have the info to make that determination. I don't think anyone here does. But I believe this:

-Sometimes shooting a man in the back, who is running away, is the right thing to do.

-I really don't want to live in a society where cops (and other legally armed individuals) are afraid to shoot scumbags.

Hmmmm?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I have not commented on this because 1: - the original bystander video captures just a bit of the situation and 2: the audio file is not conclusive. To me, it really doesn't change anything - If I or my family is under attack, I'll use whatever force I have to stop it. If we are not, then please God, don't let me start it.

Bad, bad, bad situation.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Nice work Monica!
    Thank you

That's fascinating. It also jives with what I thought I heard when I listened to the audio.

Has anyone managed to confirm the type of Taser in use, i.e. one- or two-shot device?
    Yep, I'm certain the audio was heard by everyone, but until it is transformed into something that can be seen, then it's tough to comprehend. The timeline is important. Document document document on the department's end. They have to, because any call can go sideways.

The isconnect here is in the understanding. The general public has an idea of how things should be done by the police. The police have a strict set of SOPs/P&Ps based on state and federal laws, and officer safety. There's a plan for many critical incidents, but because of the unpredictable nature of the job, there isn't a plan for everything. That's where the human choices come in. And they are based around a core set of values and ethics, and that is taught to officers. As I was napping here I fell asleep thinking about the ethics of the choices made in any given emergency situation. Sometimes the instantaneous choice to save or take a life is going to go against policy and it must be run through the ethics filter. There are some key questions the officer must ask him/herself. When those questions are satisfied, it'll be an indicator of the right thing to do at that moment. Here's the thing, it won't always be "right" when it is reviewed, debriefed and investigated in the aftermath. But an officer needs to be able to articulate how s/he got to the decision. It will be judged by supervisors. It will be scrutinized by the public. And it can even be judged by the legal system.

Shorts my baby in i wasn't married
    <cheesy romantic music blaring in the background> (in a wistful, lamenting heartbroken chick voice) I feel the loss every waking hour we're apart

:p

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Thank you

Yep, I'm certain the audio was heard by everyone, but until it is transformed into something that can be seen, then it's tough to comprehend. The timeline is important. Document document document on the department's end. They have to, because any call can go sideways.

The isconnect here is in the understanding. The general public has an idea of how things should be done by the police. The police have a strict set of SOPs/P&Ps based on state and federal laws, and officer safety. There's a plan for many critical incidents, but because of the unpredictable nature of the job, there isn't a plan for everything. That's where the human choices come in. And they are based around a core set of values and ethics, and that is taught to officers. As I was napping here I fell asleep thinking about the ethics of the choices made in any given emergency situation. Sometimes the instantaneous choice to save or take a life is going to go against policy and it must be run through the ethics filter. There are some key questions the officer must ask him/herself. When those questions are satisfied, it'll be an indicator of the right thing to do at that moment. Here's the thing, it won't always be "right" when it is reviewed, debriefed and investigated in the aftermath. But an officer needs to be able to articulate how s/he got to the decision. It will be judged by supervisors. It will be scrutinized by the public. And it can even be judged by the legal system.

<cheesy romantic music blaring in the background> (in a wistful, lamenting heartbroken chick voice) I feel the loss every waking hour we're apart

:p
    Purrrrrrrŕ meow purrrrrrr

Top Bottom