• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    View attachment 146076
    One shot confirmed with that pissant pistol and CCI .38 shotshell. Shot at 4ft where it was beneath my car a couple years ago. And this was a 4ft cottonmouth. Yes son, it does kill them.
    And I'm concern about ricochet from a 12ga hitting my animals [and me] as the skirting is thick stamped steel.

I honestly don't understand the fixation on my old 38 not being up to the imagined job. And name calling now? That's not only uncalled for, its childish. Act civil. Some of us are actually adults here that enjoy mature conversation now and then. 'nuff said I believe...

I didn't call him a name, I stated a fact.

I just don't want uninformed readers thinking what you are using is a great choice.

Looks like multiple hits on that snake. How many times did you have to shoot it?

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Well, you can disagree if you wish, but it is a damn good choice, and you don't have any credibility with me or Wade, or probably anybody else that has dispatched snakes with shotshells.

What makes you an expert, or your opinion "fact"?

Again, the situation determines the weapon, a shotgun might be better in wide open spaces, but not under steps in close quarters.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I didn't call him a name, I stated a fact.

I just don't want uninformed readers thinking what you are using is a great choice.

Looks like multiple hits on that snake. How many times did you have to shoot it?
    One shot confirmed. Didn't you see that written in the first sentence of the quoted post? The snake was coiled and took collateral damage from the single shot. Same with the other snakes I've killed with this weapon. One shot was required.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    One shot confirmed. Didn't you see that written in the first sentence of the quoted post? The snake was coiled and took collateral damage from the single shot. Same with the other snakes I've killed with this weapon. One shot was required.

Yeah, even with my measly .22 Ruger, I've never needed a second shot. ( "One shot, one kill...always have, always will. ") My shots were at 6-7', but even so, with a 6" barrel, that pattern was still probably only half to silver dollar size. You definitely have to aim!

BTW, Wade ...."worst choice "...did he forget about that wicked slingshot you picked up? LOL.

Last edited:

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Well SOMEONE was called "stupid" now weren't they? Was that directed at me, or at Sloppy Shooter?

By the way, and a little off the snake thing but relevant to the pistol in question. That '56 model M&P was originally carried by an old Deputy Chief in his years on the street. He "Baptised" two armed felons with it in his career. We shot a lot at the PD range together and despite the rank difference, became good friends. Shortly after he retired he met me at the sector and gave me this pistol.

A couple years later I was carrying this pistol working an off duty job and became involved in a shooting with an armed burglary suspect. Before he could level his 9mm I drew and fired, centerpunching him with a 158gr SWC. He hit the pavement before the report of that old 38 stopped echoing between the buildings.
    So that's what, 8 snakes and three felons? Not bad for an inadequate, underpowered, relic from another age.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Popcorn-Emoji-smile.jpg

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Six days now and no sight of the enemy. Yesterday afternoon, with the heat index at 106°F, my ancient 15 year old cat was in and out from under the house seeking cooler temps. She used the same spot the snake did under the steps. At first it worried me but then I began to think that the bastard's left.

I still keep my .38 handy just in case. Oh, I know one poor misdirected soul said its useless but we're not concerned with that. :) And no, I don't think it retreated into the house either. Most likely slipped away when young Wally, (K9 in training) was out under the trees by the gate or other areas he patrols.
    But I'm ever watchful.....

My sincere thanks to those who provided genuinely positive suggestions and solutions here. Your sincerity and mature thinking were both obviously well thought out and were well received.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well SOMEONE was called "stupid" now weren't they? Was that directed at me, or at Sloppy Shooter?

By the way, and a little off the snake thing but relevant to the pistol in question. That '56 model M&P was originally carried by an old Deputy Chief in his years on the street. He "Baptised" two armed felons with it in his career. We shot a lot at the PD range together and despite the rank difference, became good friends. Shortly after he retired he met me at the sector and gave me this pistol.

A couple years later I was carrying this pistol working an off duty job and became involved in a shooting with an armed burglary suspect. Before he could level his 9mm I drew and fired, centerpunching him with a 158gr SWC. He hit the pavement before the report of that old 38 stopped echoing between the buildings.
    So that's what, 8 snakes and three felons? Not bad for an inadequate, underpowered, relic from another age.
    It was directed at Sloppy not you.

I hope the snake is gone for good.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My dad was raised up in a old cabin that was finished out and added onto over the years
    Him and his brothers woke up one cool fall morning and found a copperhead in their bedroom floor

The thought of a snake in the house scares me something terrible and I ain't scared of nothing!

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Ah, old snake stories...
    Long ago when a Ranger posted to a small company strength firebase near the Ashau Valley, I was off to the showers after two weeks in the bush hunting NVA. Tired and filthy I was walking to the tent sided shower made from a couple 55 gal drums filled with water above and shipping pallets for a floor and drainage. The area was about 10'x10'. I was dressed in my GI boxers, a towel over a shoulder, flipflops, and a 1911A1 in a shoulder holster. I went nowhere unless armed. Even in a secured area in the rear...

Entered the showers alone. Grateful for the solitude. As I turned the corner I saw it. On the other side was a partially coiled with head erect, King Cobra. I nearly soiled my shorts. Slowly I got the 45 in hand and threw my towel at it. The thing made for the towel and was distracted enough for me to get off 5 rounds and back out of the little structure. Covering the place with my 45 as I backed away.

Gunfire within a compound gets everyone's attention quick. Two MPs ran up thinking I had a sapped or something. I pointed and said one word "Snake." One armed with an M16 and the other a 12ga entered slowly. Then all he'll broke loose. The two MPs exited the now splintered and perforated shower structure with blank looks. One turned and said "Its secure now Staff Sergeant. We got 'em. Sorry about your towel."
    I poked my head in and saw what was left of the cobra and my towel. It was all twisted up in it and shot to pieces. By that time the unit's 1st Sgt showed up and told everyone to take a look and remember to be careful. That was 1969. To this day I watch my step. I scan that area. And I never shower without a pistol within reach the other side of the curtain. :)
    Lessons Learned as we say in the army......

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Ah, old snake stories...
    Long ago when a Ranger posted to a small company strength firebase near the Ashau Valley, I was off to the showers after two weeks in the bush hunting NVA. Tired and filthy I was walking to the tent sided shower made from a couple 55 gal drums filled with water above and shipping pallets for a floor and drainage. The area was about 10'x10'. I was dressed in my GI boxers, a towel over a shoulder, flipflops, and a 1911A1 in a shoulder holster. I went nowhere unless armed. Even in a secured area in the rear...

Entered the showers alone. Grateful for the solitude. As I turned the corner I saw it. On the other side was a partially coiled with head erect, King Cobra. I nearly soiled my shorts. Slowly I got the 45 in hand and threw my towel at it. The thing made for the towel and was distracted enough for me to get off 5 rounds and back out of the little structure. Covering the place with my 45 as I backed away.

Gunfire within a compound gets everyone's attention quick. Two MPs ran up thinking I had a sapped or something. I pointed and said one word "Snake." One armed with an M16 and the other a 12ga entered slowly. Then all he'll broke loose. The two MPs exited the now splintered and perforated shower structure with blank looks. One turned and said "Its secure now Staff Sergeant. We got 'em. Sorry about your towel."
    I poked my head in and saw what was left of the cobra and my towel. It was all twisted up in it and shot to pieces. By that time the unit's 1st Sgt showed up and told everyone to take a look and remember to be careful. That was 1969. To this day I watch my step. I scan that area. And I never shower without a pistol within reach the other side of the curtain. :)
    Lessons Learned as we say in the army......
    BuckshotWade,

Everyone that I knew from RVN had a snake story. = And people wonder why i'm not too fond of venomous reptiles.

Btw, I suspect that the mothballs have gotten your cottonmouth to change its place of residence.

yours, satx

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Mothballs? Yup, they've appeared to have done the trick. :)

Snakes in my old AO were everywhere. Ammo crates flown in by choppers often had 'em on board and crawled out when unloaded from the cargo area of the Chinooks that carried big loads. The loadmasters would either freak or smirk depending on how long he'd been in country. Nobody really liked em. The snakes that is, not the loadmasters. :)

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Six days now and no sight of the enemy. Yesterday afternoon, with the heat index at 106°F, my ancient 15 year old cat was in and out from under the house seeking cooler temps. She used the same spot the snake did under the steps. At first it worried me but then I began to think that the bastard's left.

Ok guys, this is serious. No B.S., I got a 3 1/2 foot cottonmouth water moccasin snake that appears to have taken up residence under my dilapidated old singlewide I live in. Snakes scare the shit outta me. On Aug 3, I went out to feed my two remaining dogs around 4:30pm. My biggest one, Fred, was acting all woozy and disoriented. He staggered and fell getting to the place he eats at. He was dead in half an hour. Poisoned.

Yesterday afternoon, the last remaining dog alerted at the front door. As I went outside I look around and saw the cottonmouth under my open style wooden front steps. I leaped back inside. Load my M28 with snakeshot and head out. Snake went back in under the house via a big hole in the old metal underpinning. Last night at 11:30pm Wally, my little mutt, alerted again. Danger Close! Out the front I go pistol and light in hand. Spot snake under steps. Wiggle around to get a shot. He's moving now. Pow! Aimed at the head. 2ft or so and I MISS! Damn it! Snake goes back under the house. Wally, my gun fearing dog, heads for the hills and I'm left there really pissed off! And I still got that snake under my relic of a house....

Any chance that the “miss” caused a delayed fatality? Under the house or in a hole — dead?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I usually (not always) gently remove and relocate snakes, but 2 weeks my wife and I were working in the back yard and I happened to notice a fair size cotton mouth about 30' away just laying on the lawn. Yes, just laying there where one us of us could have stepped on it.

For some reason it really pissed me off. Maybe because it scared me to think of what could've happened...

I got a hoe out of the garage and quickly removed his head, and tossed him into the ground.

My yard is close to a creek also and in the Spring we often see 1 to 4 venomous snakes either a CM or a Coral snake, but until this year, never in August.

My head is on a swivel when in my yard, though once we a Coral snake on my front porch. I damn near stepped on it. Another snake to meet his maker...

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Any chance that the “miss” caused a delayed fatality? Under the house or in a hole — dead?
    Yes sir, it's entirely possible it croaked. Granted the shot casing scarcely had time to open up, however it is possible more than a few pellets made their way into the thing. Bounce back from the ground and other objects right next to the house.

And I am one that believes the only good snake is a dead snake. Always have and always will.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Oh shucks.... I almost forgot. I got a cool slingshot outta the deal. Not only does it launch mothballs with ease, but hits 250fps or better with .31cal round ball! And I can, for the most part, keep it on a 10" square iron plate at 25m...

Top Bottom