• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I did a bacon wrapped meatloaf, or fatty, on the grill that turned out very good.

Fatty.jpg

Fatty2.jpg

Fatty3.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One dish I really like is a smothered steak, or some call it a Salisbury Steak, with mushroom gravy. This with mashed potatoes, and some homemade biscuits will put a big smile on my face!

I really want to give Cowboy Kent's recipe a try. Very similar to the way my stepmother use to make it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Kent's videos are inspiring that's for sure. I've tried some of his recipes, with a little twist usually (I can't ever just leave well enough alone and go by a pat recipe...)

It was one of his videos that pushed me to make my own from scratch refried beans, vs just opening a can. We still open the canned ones a good bit, but I'll make homemade when I've got the time, they just taste better.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Kent's videos are inspiring that's for sure. I've tried some of his recipes, with a little twist usually (I can't ever just leave well enough alone and go by a pat recipe...)

It was one of his videos that pushed me to make my own from scratch refried beans, vs just opening a can. We still open the canned ones a good bit, but I'll make homemade when I've got the time, they just taste better.

His style of cooking reminds me so much of how my grandmother and stepmom cooked. Takes me back to the roots of a style of cooking a really enjoy. Reminds me a little of cooking over fire while camping as well.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    His style of cooking reminds me so much of how my grandmother and stepmom cooked. Takes me back to the roots of a style of cooking a really enjoy. Reminds me a little of cooking over fire while camping as well.

Yeah, I hear that. The grandma that raised me was a depression era baby - born in '33. Until she retired and basically gave up living life - she cooked almost *everything* from scratch. We didn't have jars of prego or ragu when she was working - when she got home from work she was either starting to cook dinner, or on weekends it was shopping/cooking/tending to the garden. Starting in late summer, she was on a two month long canning binge. Our jars of spaghetti sauce were home made from scratch. She canned tomatoes, green beans, okra, peppers, peaches, pears, applesauce, corn, and probably some other veggies I'm forgetting. We had a huge chest freezer plus a stand up freezer, plus two refrigerator/freezer combos. They were full. We had frozen garden grown veggies + the occasional store bought bags of veg. We froze bread. We froze cheese. Sometimes she'd make big batches and freeze left overs to heat up later if she didn't feel up to cooking (rare) + we had a lot of meat.

She never cooked in anything but cast iron. We had two dutch ovens, skillets from 4 inches to 14. She had seven children of her own, and had come from a large family herself. She cooked enough every meal to feed a company-size military unit. If you were hungry after a meal, it was your own fault.

Sadly when she retired from working, she retired from cooking from scratch. Our garden shrank, she'd still can veggies and fruits, but about 1/5th of what she used to. Our freezers began filling up with prepared stuff - Banquet fried chicken (gross!) vs home made fried chicken. Frozen pizzas. TV dinners. Store bought sauces.

Hell, she used to make her own pasta, and taught me how to do it. Best thing about holidays - home made turkey noodle soup with homemade, thick, hand cut egg noodles.

She made from-scratch buttermilk biscuits and baking-soda biscuits, never used measuring cups, they *always* turned out amazing. My mom learned from her - but didn't have the touch. My mom can't bake a biscuit to save her life, though she makes some biscuit-looking hockey pucks that would take your head off with a good slap shot.

Cowboy Kent does remind me in many ways how she cooked when I was a kid.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Years and years ago, I did really like Big Macs. Couldn't hardly pass a McDonald's without hitting the drive-thru for a Big Mac and an order of fries. Then I got burnt out and got to the point, I almost detest them. But Cowboy Kent might be my saving grace!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Another one of those easy to make favorites of mine is Sloppy Joe's. We use to use Manwich to make them, but started making them from scratch some years ago, and they are so much better tasting. I'll have to give Cowboy Kent's version a try one day.

Top Bottom