• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Don't have one and I ain't spending the money to buy one, so I'll have to make do with what I have.

Some way, I'm going to perfect this recipe using what I have. I might even give my air fryer a try as well..
    I don't see an air fryer working rather burning it up. Turkey fryer would work. Deep fat fryers need to be used a lot to justify the oil. When I think back to the fryers on the side job I just shake my head. They are a huge PITA, unless your making bio diesel, then they are still a PITA.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't see an air fryer working rather burning it up. Turkey fryer would work. Deep fat fryers need to be used a lot to justify the oil. When I think back to the fryers on the side job I just shake my head. They are a huge PITA, unless your making bio diesel, then they are still a PITA.

One thing I am going to try is using some smaller onions. The ones I used the last two times I tried this recipe, were as large or larger than softball. I'm going to try using some about the size of a tennis ball for the next time.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    One of my most favorite things to eat are a great burger. I have worked hard at home to learn how to grill a great burger. For such a simple item to cook, they can be difficult if you don't take the proper steps to make one.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    I just a fish fryer and it works great

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Interesting thing with goulash. My mother made it when I was a kid and while it wasn't something I'd go out of my way for, it wasn't bad. Quite honestly, my mother wasn't much of a cook, so "wasn't bad" was a huge compliment. Anyway, fast forward to the 1980's and my (now ex-) wife heard about an authentic German and Hungarian restaurant and insisted we go. OK, there was some sort of semi-special date and I agreed to go there. We had to make reservations to get in, and when we got there it had maybe 6 tables. The cook was Indian or Pakistani (I forget which now) and had grown up in England, and also had studied cooking in other parts of Europe. The menu wasn't very appealing to me, until I saw "goulash". Ok, how could that be bad? I ordered it and it looked NOTHING like the stuff in the picture posted in this thread (which looks exactly like my mother's version). I said something about it and the cook came out and insisted - very strongly - that what he served was the authentic thing and what I must have eaten before was some bastardized recipe that wasn't fit for pigs. Ok. I ate it. It was terrible. Really, really terrible. We never went back and I think the place closed up within 6 months.

So maybe, just maybe, the stuff we call goulash isn't the "authentic" stuff, but I really don't care. A lot of Mexican food served around here isn't "authentic" but it's pretty damn good. As far as I'm concerned, Texans just improved on other people's recipes.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I just found this cook, Kent Rollin's videos a little over a week ago. I clicked on one video to find out some information, and now I'm hooked on his videos! He is entertaining as well as being very informative about cooking.

Tonight I'm trying out his recipe for a blooming onion, very similar to what Outback serves.

If you haven't checked him out, you should. Some of his videos, have had me rolling in the floor from laughing so hard.

I saw the title a thought you were enjoying the game.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Interesting thing with goulash. My mother made it when I was a kid and while it wasn't something I'd go out of my way for, it wasn't bad. Quite honestly, my mother wasn't much of a cook, so "wasn't bad" was a huge compliment. Anyway, fast forward to the 1980's and my (now ex-) wife heard about an authentic German and Hungarian restaurant and insisted we go. OK, there was some sort of semi-special date and I agreed to go there. We had to make reservations to get in, and when we got there it had maybe 6 tables. The cook was Indian or Pakistani (I forget which now) and had grown up in England, and also had studied cooking in other parts of Europe. The menu wasn't very appealing to me, until I saw "goulash". Ok, how could that be bad? I ordered it and it looked NOTHING like the stuff in the picture posted in this thread (which looks exactly like my mother's version). I said something about it and the cook came out and insisted - very strongly - that what he served was the authentic thing and what I must have eaten before was some bastardized recipe that wasn't fit for pigs. Ok. I ate it. It was terrible. Really, really terrible. We never went back and I think the place closed up within 6 months.

So maybe, just maybe, the stuff we call goulash isn't the "authentic" stuff, but I really don't care. A lot of Mexican food served around here isn't "authentic" but it's pretty damn good. As far as I'm concerned, Texans just improved on other people's recipes.
    Many ethnic foods have been "Americanized" and many people have never had the authentic versions as they were traditionally made in their home countries.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When I was a kid, I mistook goulash for gulag…was sorta funny when I told my parents I wasn’t going to eat prisoner food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom