• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    That's what I was thinking the RPR if we put our pennies together it shouldn't be a problem

Although I don’t believe that rifle typically lives up to its name, I do see it as a viable contender given the 12” LOP (I show the rascal at 11 1/4” LOP) at the price point, and its easily upgraded as she grows with the sport if desired. I feel the weight may be a concern depending on the shooting discipline at 6.8lbs vs 3lbs for the rascal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I am looking for a Crickett .22 rifle for a 9 year old girl who's parents can't afford to buy her one. She has to borrow a rifle to shoot in the 4H club.

BTW, she is a pretty good shot.
    4 H musta changed over the years. Back when I was in it they only taught kids how to raise chickens or build a lamp and I only had two grown up Easter chickens where it took a minimum of 25 to qualify as a project..so I built my Mama a nice reading lamp.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Didn't have 4H in my neck of the woods, too small I suppose. But the school had FFA. I was on the milk tasting team. Sold the crap they made us sell for fundraisers. Raised pigs and Seabrite chickens as projects. Actually made money on the chickens. Our place was the designated "how to castrate a pig" place. Took the loaded bus to our place. Some fun stories related to that. Built a pig trailer for my senior project.

My cousin was in 4H, and they got to do cooler stuff. Always wanted to do it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    PM sent to RR with a plan for making all this work. If he's OK with the proposal, it will be outlined here.

On another subject, I don't like the suggestion of the Rugers for first rifles. None of the ones suggested have decent iron sights. The Cricket and Rascal both have aperture sights which are better for a kid to learn. Those rifles are also substantially lighter, as has already been pointed out, and I think that's important.

In fact, I can think of a half dozen .22 rifles that would all be better learning tools except for the fact that they tend to weigh 8 pounds plus. That's too much for a 9-year-old.

Just my $0.02.

More to come.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Been helping our local 4H Shooting Club acquire some new rifles. Very few guns out there that meet 4H requirements for competition. They are getting some of the Savage rifles from the CMP (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/22-target-commercial/). Currently don't know if Crickets and Rascals meet all the requirements. They must have peep sights and be single shot. No magazine or capable of taking a magazine. What we are unsure of is the front sights on the Cricket and Rascals if they meet 4H requirements. If they don't maybe the correct front sights could be installed. My Grandaughter has a Rascal and practices with it. She cannot shoulder the Savage Competition rifles or the Anschutz competition rifles yet......we are trying to find out if the Cricket and Rascal can be used as is for 4H competitions. If anyone knows the answer, I would certainly like to know.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    PM sent to RR with a plan for making all this work. If he's OK with the proposal, it will be outlined here.

On another subject, I don't like the suggestion of the Rugers for first rifles. None of the ones suggested have decent iron sights. The Cricket and Rascal both have aperture sights which are better for a kid to learn. Those rifles are also substantially lighter, as has already been pointed out, and I think that's important.

In fact, I can think of a half dozen .22 rifles that would all be better learning tools except for the fact that they tend to weigh 8 pounds plus. That's too much for a 9-year-old.

Just my $0.02.

More to come.

i think we were just thinking for the budget we should have, get her the BEST...lol.
    What the hell we know were just some old dudes on the inter-web & haven't been in 4H.
    I say as long as its light & 4H friendly, lets hook this kid up.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I just got off phone with her dad and he said that the Savage Rascal would be best for her. He also said that everyone else is using either black synthetic or a wood stock. So that is what I think we should get her.

Ben will be posting here soon with the plan.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, here we go.

Roadrunner has graciously consented to helm this effort. TGT, unfortunately, isn't set up to funnel contributions to worthy causes so he's taking charge.

If you want to contribute, PM him. He'll provide you an email address to which you may send money via PayPal (making sure you use the friends and family option with no mention of firearms) or an Academy gift card.

The money will go towards a Savage Rascal. RR and her father have conferred and the father says this will be the best option.

I note that given the number of folks who have expressed interest, $25 (or less) apiece should cover the rifle, needed accessories, and ammo. That's just a suggestion, though. Anybody who wants to give more certainly may.

In return, RR will do his very best to ensure that TGT is graced with either a picture or video of the girl receiving her rifle.

Now, let's all unleash that pent-up desire to do some good in the world. I'm headed over to PayPal right now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Roadrunner - It would be nice if you could post a running total of received contributions so that we can keep track. Just a suggestion, though. We trust you to do what's right.

I'd love to see you get way too much money and set her up with enough ammo to last her through college. :)

ETA - Anybody have any suggestions about what accessories she could use?
    • Ammo
    • Case
    • Hearing protection
    • Eye protection
    • Pad to lie on (Don't some roll up to become a carry-all? That might be cool for her.)
    • Shooting hat to shield the sun's glare (I like this one and this one.)
    • Quality targets for practice (a big stack of Kruger's, please. Let's spoil her.)
    What else do you rifle guys use? I'm incompetent to make further suggestions in that regard.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom