• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    ALL of this is written on the assumption that you are no diabetic, have a compromised immune system or some other serious chronic medical ailment.

Right now, I'd stay the hell away from hospitals & clinics. They're filled with influenza patients at the moment, and you don't want to walk away with something worse than what you walked in with.

I agree with the bandaging and antiseptic recommendations. If you can leave it un-bandaged and propped up (slightly) at the end of the day, that may help you heal as much as anything. I'm not a medical professional, but I've repeatedly been surprised at how much just "letting it breathe" in circumstances under which it is unlikely to contact pathogens helps to heal injuries like that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A little neosporin and tegaderm is all that needs. A band aid would work fine, but they suck at staying in place you have to change those everyday.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm more afraid of hospitals then infection. I'm with Dan, clean it and super glue it, stings like hell, but works good.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Mercurochrome was another casualty of the trend to regard ALL organomercurial compounds as materia non grata (merthiolate/thimerosal was another). There are numerous potentially lethal pathogens that often cannot be treated by anything BUT organomercurials (which, yes, are not without side effects), and I generally consider the hysteria concerning their use quite over-blown. The organo-mercurials tend to be more effective on topical fungal infections than some of the proposed replacements. We're not done learning from this class of medication about how to destroy pathogens without destroying the host.

I think he forgot the mom kiss.
    He ALSO forgot the SCOTCH, but I've criticized enough, already.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    No pictures. I cut my big toe on a gun case that was lying around. It's the pad side on the bottom. There's about a dime/penny size, thick flap of skin hanging on. It cut deep. Not a surface cut. I have it cleaned and bandaged up nicely. Should I get stitches or keep it wrapped? I had a similar situation where I cut my thumb with an axe and kept it bandaged and immobilized for a week and it closed up. I'm worried that walking too much will keep it from healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing the picture, meh. Nosporin + duct tape. Go back to work.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    It looks a lot better now that it's cleaned up.
    First time I ever shot my AR was at an indoor range. One of the shells bounced off the wall and I set my arm down on top. Needless to say I have a 5.56 shaped burn scar lmao

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    View attachment 128705
    Picture doesn't do it justice. Dime size flap. Changing bandage now

Cleanse with soapy water then hydrogen peroxide cover with TAO(neosporin) and dry bandage(bandaid) change daily until healed; if it develops purulent drainage (pus) or has an abnormal odor go to the ER. There are a lot of small capillaries and nerve endings on the foot pad, they are there so that body can communicate things that are painful to step on. In other words, it hurts more than you are actually injured.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Ah, yes, the ol' "...when they're finished practicing" joke...

SOBI1998, MY recollection is that injuries like that hurt out of ALL proportion to their size & depth. It's like a paper cut or a bad tooth, except it's at an end of the body that is difficult to guard from further irritation. I'm not at all unsympathetic to your situation, and further feel that you owe NOBODY an explanation over your concern for it.

As MY years advance (inexorably, it seems), I understand EVER more clearly the wish to preserve/improve the working order of one's "original equipment" body parts.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom