Join TexasGunTalk

DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by m5215, May 20, 2019.

DAO vs SAO in semi autos. Which do you prefer and why?

1. DAO

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. SAO

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  1. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust TGT Supporter

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Because when you pull the trigger it compresses the spring before the trigger breaks, releasing the striker. It's a technicality in my opinion. Runs too much like a single action for me to actually take that definition of striker fired pistols being DA seriously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  2. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

There are DA/SA striker fired pistols...

3. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Using 1911's, of course I prefer SAO with a manual safety.

The former because I prefer the lower trigger pull of SA.

4. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

No preference.

5. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I actually immediately my post, but you quoted as I originally phrased it.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  6. unicom

unicom Active Member

May 19, 2016
    I agree with Dawico. Glock safe action for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am 58 years old and starting shooting in the early 70's on revolvers, where we shot DA only. I entered LE in 1983 and was issued a S&W Revolver. I always shot high scores because my father was an LE instructor and I learned proper habits as a child.

My first personally owned semi-auto was an S&W 59. DA/SA. I learned to shoot it as well as the revolver, but the transition from DA to SA was a bitch. In 1987 my PD allowed those who desired to switch to the Beretta 92FS, same operation as the S&W. I observed that many would just throw out that first DA shot so that they could get to the SA pull. When we ran drills the first shot was always "thrown" if you will. I carried the 92 until I switched to a 1911.

If a person trains from the safe-on position with a 1911, they are no more likely to forget to deactivate the safety than they are to forget to press the trigger. Having a consistent trigger press is important from a training and proficiency standpoint.

That said, I attended a TFTT class once where there was a SWAT guy with a beat-the-hell-up 92 that out shot everyone. Training-training-training...

I began to instruct in 1998, and it is my observation over those 21 years that I can do better with a student, in less time, if they have a handgun with a consistent trigger press, whether that be a single action only, DAO or striker fired handgun.

diesel1959 likes this.
  8. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Is that the one that has all the accidental discharges we read about?

9. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I admire those who shoot great with a revolver. I just have never fully mastered the DA pull to my satisfaction.

10. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I think that how well the gun fits the shooter and how smooth and consistent the trigger pull is has more to do wth accuracy than being SAO/DAO. I have shot some DAO pistols very well but prefer SAO. And some SAO pistols that I am better off throwing at you than trying to shoot you.
    Carry and shoot what fits you best.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dad_Roman likes this.