• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Maybe a small piece of duct tape in her backpack to cover the logo if it becomes a big deal. Take the issue up later, don't put her in a spot that she has to argue with adults and authority figures. She may be mature, bright and smart, but probably out of her league against a group of adults.

If she does have an issue, then you can address it at an appropriate time in a mature fashion.
    Texas SOT

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    She's dressing the way she chooses which makes a child have a positive attitude and affects their day. Anything else is secondary.

The assumption would be a school official won't over react and single her out.
    After raising two daughters, their world is very small and very fragile.
    Being singled out and put up for ridicule is devestating to an adolescent.

While I like the message it sends and I understand its roots and meanings, the message is secondary to the child's well being.

I fully understand that this was HER idea ...
    But using children to make a pro-gun political statements is no less infuriating to me than our president using the Sandy Hook children to further his.

JMHO

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    • show evidence of membership or affiliation in any gang, unauthorized club, or organization under FMC (LOCAL)

Was thinking about this earlier ... The NRA doesn't fall under these because its none of these. It's an association ... It's even in its name after all.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I fully understand that this was HER idea ...
    But using children to make a pro-gun political statements is no less infuriating to me than our president using the Sandy Hook children to further his.

JMHO

But as you stated, it was the child's idea, therefore there is no "using of children".

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'd give her a small heads up that the wearing of the cap may cause an issue, may not due to the unpredictability of human nature..

If she's asked to take it off, to do so and let you know. Let her know you support her decision either way.

Next she'll want to bring her favorite knife to the state capitol... :-)

Sad we're even having this conversation.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'd give her a small heads up that the wearing of the cap may cause an issue, may not due to the unpredictability of human nature..

If she's asked to take it off, to do so and let you know. Let her know you support her decision either way.

lol

I was thinking the sae, let her wear the hat but also give her a heads up how folks may react to it so she will be prepared. Well, it's already later in the day so I hope the field trip went well.

AlamoMIA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington, Texas
    The students were told to merely "bring HATS along" -without any specifications provided within the instructions. It would be informative if your daughter could get her hands on a back-up hat with some "PC" logo to ensure she has some cover.

If she is instructed tomorrow that it is "unacceptable" to wear the NRA hat, your daughter could ask whether it is the NRA, or the concept of 140 years of freedom that is unacceptable.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    But as you stated, it was the child's idea, therefore there is no "using of children".

She also wants Pop-Tarts and Chocolate cake with ice cream for every meal.

She's ten, loves her dad and most certainly wants to follow in his footsteps.

Her ability to make informed decisions are not fully developed.

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    She is in 4th grade. I have no doubt that you have taught her right or wether she is informed and can shoot 4 in. groups I am with you, she is in 4th grade, no matter what the case is, the nay sayers will see it as your daughter acting out on what her daddy thinks or says. You dont want your daughter to be a vessel for which the anti gun nuts attack. I feel sure you dont want her to be that center of attention that could affect her the rest of her life for the better or possibly for the worse. I just dont want to see your daughter be ridiculed, and they will ridicule her. They are not proud folks, if they have to run down a child they will. May not be the right time to make a stand......unless..... hmmmmm...any chance you can be a chaperone parent on the field trip? That could change things....maybe. Hope it works out though, keep us posted

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS

anyone but you and that wouldnt be right^^^^^^^^^^:rolleyes:

CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    This is a hard question. On the one hand, you don't want your daughter to be hurt in any way. That's perfectly understandable. On the other, I can't imagine it's bad to teach her to stand up proudly and unashamedly for her beliefs, no matter the potential consequences. It's sad that this is even a potential issue, in Texas of all places. I have to wonder how careful SA defenders are in places like CA, NY, or DC have to be. Would even owning such a hat be evidence in a child endangerment charge? I kid, but that seems to be the direction we're headed.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Thank you everyone for the replies, opinions, and ideas. I can certainly understand both sides of what is posted. For the record, I am NOT "using my child" to make a pro gun statement. In fact, I don't even wear hats, EVER. I chose a duffel bag, but they sent me a hat :sad face:. She has a mind of her own and believe it or not is great at making informed decisions. She's put me in MY place once or twice. An honor role kid in gifted and talented, who aces her tests and wins many awards, including "cutest hair" for the year, haha. I'm sure my daughter is an average Jane compared to some geniuses out there, but she is not ordinary. She will ask me a series of questions, and afterwards say, "OK well I'm gonna do (BLANK) because of this, that, and the other, based on what you said". So, she does make informed decisions, BUT she also trusts me and follows in my footsteps.

Luckily, there is nothing to report. She said that a few of her classmates were checking it out, but said nothing, and most of the adults appeared to read it, but also said nothing. She stated that later in the day, as people kept reading it, she started to just look up so they couldn't see it. Guess she started to get nervous. I gotta admit, I'm surprised. El Paso is a VERY liberal place. Either that, or full of people who go by what is shown on the news. I hardly ever meet conservatives, NRA members, gun owners who don't have a gun just to look cool, or people who even give a damn. So, I am happy this was un eventful. This all begin because she needed a hat and doesn't have one of her own, that fits well. I wasn't hoping for any kind of conflict, but was not afraid to stand up for what we believe in.

Knife to the Capitol? She already wants to carry her gun everywhere we go, "just in case". Of coarse that's not happening. "Daddy can we get this for my bug out bag? Daddy I want my own bible. Daddy you forgot to pray before we ate. Daddy this girs was being mean to that girl and I told her to stop." I've been blessed with better daughters than I deserve and a wife that would make any grumpy asshole happy. I'm glad everything turned out well, and you guys are a great bunch of guys for sharing your views, opinions and advice. God bless.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    My oldest daughter has worn her TGT hat to the school FFA barn several times without incident. And it is her hat; she kept taking mine, so I had to get another from Tejano Scott to give to her.

AlamoMIA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington, Texas
    Happy to hear it went well. The mere fact that we all had to "meditate" on this "issue" that should not even be an issue is enough to demonstrate that our First Amendment right of expression is being suppressed in a multitude of venues. Now I understand the comrade-in-chief has issued orders to the effect that the Christians in the military must muzzle themselves.

O-blah-Blah should lead by example, and stop publicly professing that he's a Christian. That would be a good start for some honesty in his life.

Last edited:

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Happy to hear it went well. The mere fact that we all had to "meditate" on this "issue" that should not even be an issue is enough to demonstrate that our First Amendment right of expression is being suppressed in a multitude of venues. Now I understand the comrade-in-chief has issued orders to the effect that the Christians in the military must muzzle themselves.

O-blah-Blah should lead by example, and stop publicly professing that he's a Christian. That would be a good start for some honesty in his life.

My thoughts exactly. I recall wearing some stuff to school that would NOT fly today. I once had a shirt that had a very adult joke, in the seventh grade. My teachers got a good kick out of that shirt and never made an issue. I think it shows how a lot of teachers are bred to be against a lot of things these days. The liberal agenda is moving forward in every avenue.

There's really an order on christian service members to shut their mouths about it?

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I find nothing wrong with an organization that fights for constitutional rights. If they have any issues I would tell my daughter that if someone gives her any grief and kick her out, Its Disney World time.

Driller

Top Bottom