• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am a very confrontational person and would like nothing better than to wear my NRA hat and tell them to buzz off. Your daughter may not appreciate the attention and I'd defer on the confrontation. You are the parent and she is the kid. I do NOT agree with letting her make that decision. She is too young to predict the consequences of bucking the system.

As a retired teacher, I can assure you there will be plenty of time for rebellion in the 13-18 year age range. In 4th grade, just let her be a kid.

If you take her to school.....of course be wearing your NRA hat.

Flash
    DK Firearms

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I am a very confrontational person and would like nothing better than to wear my NRA hat and tell them to buzz off. Your daughter may not appreciate the attention and I'd defer on the confrontation. You are the parent and she is the kid. I do NOT agree with letting her make that decision. She is too young to predict the consequences of bucking the system.

As a retired teacher, I can assure you there will be plenty of time for rebellion in the 13-18 year age range. In 4th grade, just let her be a kid.

If you take her to school.....of course be wearing your NRA hat.

Flash

Not sure I understand you that well. I want to make it clear she understands the different things that can happen with stuff like this. A lot of which she thinks of herself, and the rest, I tell her if need be. I think it's fine that she make a decision like wearing an NRA hat to school. It shows me certain things about her. If there were very harsh repercussions, I'd ultimately tell her no but I warned her that her teacher may ask for the hat and if so, to respectfully hand it to her. As for the rebellion, there won't be much. Not under my roof. She is extremely well behaved because I discipline her well. Sometimes with a pat, but every time with words that make her understand consequences of her actions and intent. The biggest reason why I KNOW I will not have much trouble with her in her teens, is that I grow my family under the hand of God. Firmly and faithfully, with love and wrath. I may not be great at certain things, but I KNOW I am a fantastic father and am confident that with God's help and my beautiful daughter's heart, her teens will be full of chalenges but no where near what we see these days in our youth. Roger, thank you for your input, and God bless.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I find nothing wrong with an organization that fights for constitutional rights. If they have any issues I would tell my daughter that if someone gives her any grief and kick her out, Its Disney World time.

Driller

HAHA! Don't have the money for THAT!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    She sounds like a great kid and you and wife should be proud.

I would like to meet you folks one day and shake all your hands.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    She sounds like a great kid and you and wife should be proud.

I would like to meet you folks one day and shake all your hands.

Thank you very much Mitch. We are a family with flaws and average problems but we keep God and each other first. One thing I like about this forum, is it's evident that most of you are really great people, with surely really great families, as well. I'll be in SA next month and I'm meeting with a person or two from this forum. Your welcome to join if you're near.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You asked for clarification....OK............

I was thrown out of high school so many times that I was referred to as the "ping pong ball". I'd bounce in and bounce right back out. It's ironic that I became a teacher and served for 22 years as a Master teacher in two states. I am still teaching in a local college, part time.

There are rewards and consequences to everything that we do. At her age, she doesn't have the life experience to make choices that could affect her life so YOU must do that. For you as her Dad, her primary goal must be to get her education. Unfortunately, her behavior will determine how her grade school plays out.

For me, I was in trouble a lot and I actually heard my counselor in HS tell my parents that "It would be a waste of money to send Roger to college" and "Roger is just too damned dumb to go to college!" Fast forward some years and that "Dumb" kid earned a Masters Degree at Oklahoma State with a perfect 4.0 GPA....straight "A's" and I paid for my education 100% out of my own pocket!

I was the same person in HS that I was in Graduate School although a bit more motivated and focused. My Senior year in HS, I had a grade report of 3 D's, an F and a C. Sir, when they get your "number" in a school system, you will pay a heavy price for your behavior. If she expects to score scholarships to help her in school, she will need to blend. A hat, even one that you and I may be proud of is NOT worth sandbagging her future. When she transitions from grade school then to JR High and to HS, her reputation will follow her.

21 years ago in Texas, it was common to write "DRUT" on the back of a discipline referral. That is "TURD" spelled backwards and it gave the office some insight into the kid's behavior when they arrived for discipline. They also look back on the record to see what has happened in the past with that kid's behavior. They will drop notes in her file and she will never be free of it. I hate that chit but it's true!

Summed up. Education comes first. If she's a "good" kid, she'll be eligible for scholarships. If not, you'll need deep pockets. I hate it but that's how it is.

As to rebellious behavior during the teen years. Report back to us in a few years and let us know how things are going. I've seen it happen a thousand times.............things change.

Incidentally, you sound like a great Dad and no disrespect is intended to you or your child.

Flash

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I'm on a field trip with 4th graders right now. Here's what we're looking at. Bring the damn hat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367511301.790120.jpg

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Well, it is stirring the pot. How old is your daughter? I understand that it is your daughter's desire to wear that particular hat. But as a minor child she is subject to your authority (with certain exceptions, which aren't under topic in this thread). While it is her desire to wear her NRA hat, her doing so reflects the parents choice. Good luck to both of you. This is Texas, hopefully her teacher & school will think nothing about the logo on the hat.

Just my 2-cents worth, and probably irrelevant at this time of my post (i.e., this thread looks to have been open for a bit).

Thank you Terry, but it turned out fine. You gotta read a bit through threads to get caught up.

Top Bottom