Venture Surplus ad

Dear Lord... let this be the correct thread!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a VP40.
    I like it quite well.
    Trigger is actually SA/DA, at least mine is.
    They are asking more than I paid new for mine, but not surprising.

ETA: I had a spring upgrade done to mine.
    Made the trigger to light (for me) to feel comfortable for carry, so had it undone.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Would you know if the grip is slightly smaller than on the Sig P226? Went to H&K web site.... pretty poor place to go for product information. I'd like it more if it is a DA/SA trigger. All the H&K site states is it has a 5.4# trigger pull which kinna sounds like a single action. Seems like all the DA/SA I've seen have a pretty heavy DA pull.

Sportsmans Warehouse has it for 629.00...

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I have one and like it quite a bit. The trigger is what I would call a SA, like most striker guns. The trigger is very nice for a striker. It’s been said by many to be similar to the Walther PPQ which is considered to have the best striker trigger. Though I love light triggers, I see no reason to lighten the trigger In mine.

The grip is not blocky like a Sig which gives the VP a nice ergonomic, better feel; quite comfortable actually.

The gun has lots of nice features, one being the paddle mag release versus the American grip style. It seems to be either love or hate and I love it.

The wings on the back of the slide add to gripping when racking the slide, but can be easily be removed if not to your liking.

Considering all of the extras in that TGT gun, it is not a bad deal unless you have no need for them. The extra mag (3 total).

Eta: redacted wrong info on mag pricing

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Well.... sent the owner a message indicating I'm wanting to buy it. We'll see.

I agree the price isn't all that skewed. A little more digging on Sportsmans Warehouse revealed the same gun w/15rd(vs 10) and maybe some other items listed at $715.00. Throw in 2 additional 15rd mags @ $40.00 per plus the sight upgrade. Feels like he is at least using vaseline!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Well chit.... should I hold off on this on then? It also comes with comp-tac IWB holster that is new.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    They are two different animals.
    The choice is really up to you.
    Both are great handguns.
    The P30 is normally more than the VP9.

ETA: At least a 5-6 years back they were .

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Put the purchase on hold. Owner was saying trigger pull was 3-4#s. Which after the upgrade/change could be true. H&K states 5.4# for stock trigger. But it also said trigger pull distance was .24" with .12" return which didn't seem like DA travel distance.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Put the purchase on hold. Owner was saying trigger pull was 3-4#s. Which after the upgrade/change could be true. H&K states 5.4# for stock trigger. But it also said trigger pull distance was .24" with .12" return which didn't seem like DA travel distance.

That sounds possible.

Per the DA comment, see post #9.
    I was in error.

I was recollecting my P30 trigger.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    The P 30 is a hammer fired pistol that is DA/SA.

The VP is striker fired that is SA

Sounds like you prefer the P30.

sorry about my mag price comment in my previous post, I was thinking about the P 7 m8/m13 Mags.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I guess I'm going by the P229 specs. Carrying one in the chamber on it with a 10+# DA pull pressure seems fine. Then the SA of the P229 drops to 4.*#'s which is fine. But... with only 3-4#s on the vp9

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have both P30 and VP9. The P30 is LEM though, the p30 in da/sa isn't my thing. I have the sort reset trigger from Gray Guns on my P30 light LEM and it's perfection for me.

The VP9 has a very nice factory trigger, not mushy and vague like a lot of strikers. It's nice positive reset on it.

Also don't forget about the highly customizeable grip panels on both guns that will fit any hand.

It comes down to hammer versus striker.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I guess I'm going by the P229 specs. Carrying one in the chamber on it with a 10+# DA pull pressure seems fine. Then the SA of the P229 drops to 4.*#'s which is fine. But... with only 3-4#s on the vp9

The P30 is the one most similar to the P229.

As I said, after the spring change on my VP40 (40 cal version of VP9), I wasn't comfortable carrying it, but that's just me.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The P 30 is a hammer fired pistol that is DA/SA.

The VP is striker fired that is SA

Sounds like you prefer the P30.

sorry about my mag price comment in my previous post, I was thinking about the P 7 m8/m13 Mags.
    And thus we hit the root of my problem. The description sounded like a SA trigger but the ad said DA trigger. Now you're say the VP is striker fired SA.... I'm sore confuzed...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    Katy, TX
    The VP series 9 or 40 is a striker fired gun with what Is in reality a DA trigger system but not DA like a revolver or DA/SA guns like the P30 or Sig P series. It’s like a Glock trigger which is also listed as DA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    And thus we hit the root of my problem. The description sounded like a SA trigger but the ad said DA trigger. Now you're say the VP is striker fired SA.... I'm sore confuzed...

The ad is wrong. The guy got mixed up or doesn’t understand the difference.

The gun in the ad IS a VP 9. The gun IS striker fired. That gun feels like a single action trigger pull, which Glock confused people by calling theirs Safe Action. But as Peter explained nicely is actually a DA.

But, if you actually get down to it is not Double Action because a DA cocks the hammer/striker and then releases it.

Striker guns have their striker precocked or partially cocked before the trigger is pulled to release it.

So it kind of gets down to semantics. Which is why Glock took the middle road of calling theirs Safe Action when in the early Glock days police and military were looking for DA. There were all kinds of arguements whether Glock’s were DA or SA.

Marketing at its best.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom