• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    I just stopped by an Academy here in Houston for other reasons and decided to check out their gun case. I happened to spot a really good deal on a PX4 and might have ended up purchasing it. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could see the gun, and he demanded that I relinquish my driver's license. At first I was confused, so I just showed it to him, but when he told me to take it out and give it to him I pressed him on it. He said it was a new policy of theirs to hold the customer's drivers license while they handled a firearm and pointed to the sign, when I told him the sign only listed the minimum age to hold/purchase various weapons, he brushed it off and said they must not have updated the signage yet.

I told him it wasn't state law that I relinquish my license to hold a gun and wasn't going to do so, but I did allow him to look at it. That wasn't enough. He refused to let me handle the gun, so I walked.

I went and talked to a manager, and asked her about the policy. She said they'd been doing this at their store for at least two years. I told her I'd take it up with the corporate office but didn't plan on purchasing a gun from Academy in the future.

I've never encountered a gun store that required you to relinquish your license simply to handle a gun. When I worked at Academy 10 years ago, behind the gun counter, we certainly never did this. I plan on calling Academy's corporate office next week and asking if this is a chain-wide policy or just a local store policy. I've been to other Academys within the last several years and held guns without turning over my DL, so I'm hopeful this is just a single store's policy. I don't know if there are potential illegalities around a policy like this, but a policy like this implies your motives are suspect and I refuse to do business with a place that does not treat me with respect.

Has anyone else encountered this at Academy?

Resolution Update taken from my follow-up post - Fri Jun 17 2011 4:19PM

Hey folks, I was finally able to call Academy's corporate office today. The gentleman I spoke with told me there has NOT been a policy change chain-wide, he researched it to verify. He called the store to confirm the store-specific policy and was told this policy was implemented due to theft.

He contacted the district manager with a recommendation that they implement signage about this store-specific policy and inform their associates that this is not a standard practice. He said I should hear from the DM within 3 business days.

I'm happy with how Academy treated me during my phone call and the time that was taken to research the issue (phone call lasted about 60min). I still will not be visiting that particular store again. Their store, their rules, but ultimately my choice.
    Capitol Armory ad

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I was at the Academy in Clear Lake last week and they didn't ask to see anything when I looked at a Ruger LC9.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Happened to me 2 years ago at an Austin Academy. This policy, along with the trigger locks and the stupidest employees of any gun shop I've been in, are reasons I'll never buy a gun at Academy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have never had that happen at an Academy, but I also don't see what the big deal is. This is corporate America at its finest. Protest by spending your money somewhere else if their rule is legal (and I don't see why it wouldn't be).

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    I have never had that happen at an Academy, but I also don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal, at least to me, is that the policy implies you're going steal the gun or do something illegal with it. Maybe there are plenty of sheep out there who don't think thats a problem and are okay with being profiled and assumed a law breaker, but I am not one of them.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The big deal, at least to me, is that the policy implies you're going steal the gun or do something illegal with it. Maybe there are plenty of sheep out there who don't think thats a problem and are okay with being profiled and assumed a law breaker, but I am not one of them.

It in no way implies such a thing.

Ya know, when you go thru life looking to be offended it is easy to be offended.

"profiled"? haahaahaahaahaahahaahaahahaahahahahahahah

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    Yeah, screw them for trying to protect their property.

Yes, screw them for enacting a stupid policy aimed at protecting their property, doesn't actually deter anything, and eliminated a $400+ sale for them. If I'm going to go into Academy to rip them off and steal a gun, they're going to ask for my license, so I'll leave. Then I'll come back with a fake DL I bought on the street for $20 bucks, hand it to the guy behind the counter, and bolt with my new $20 gun. GREAT policy.

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    It in no way implies such a thing.

Ya know, when you go thru life looking to be offended it is easy to be offended.

"profiled"? haahaahaahaahaahahaahaahahaahahahahahahah

How is it NOT profiling? Do they require a DL to hold an expensive golf club, try on a new pair of shoes, or hold a $300 fishing reel? Nope. They have identified that people looking at firearms are more likely to do something illegal. That, by definition, is profiling.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, screw them for enacting a stupid policy aimed at protecting their property, doesn't actually deter anything, and eliminated a $400+ sale for them. If I'm going to go into Academy to rip them off and steal a gun, they're going to ask for my license, so I'll leave. Then I'll come back with a fake DL I bought on the street for $20 bucks, hand it to the guy behind the counter, and bolt with my new $20 gun. GREAT policy.

Why not just slap a mag in the gun and take your license back?

Is there really a problem with people running off with guns at Academy?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Whether anybody agrees with the policy or not, it's painfully obvious that they think having your license insures them against you doing anything colorful... like running out with the gun. It's simply a loss prevention technique employed by a store that hires kids for every department. They aren't exactly a gun store filled with gun experts.

Security measures in big retail stores don't always make perfect sense.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I will not relinquish my license to anyone other than law enforcement. Most definitely not to a business that wants my business. I would simply say no (I guess I could ask for the salespersons license for me to hold while he held held mine).

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    Academy was recently sold to the folks who own Dollar General and Toys R Us. I'd suspect this isn't going to get any better.

I wasn't aware of that. Interesting... I guess on the plus side, the more stupid policies these chains enact, the more business will end up going to the good local shops.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I guess on the plus side, the more stupid policies these chains enact, the more business will end up going to the good local shops.

+1

In Allen/McKinney, there is an Academy presumably with this policy, a Dick's which does not sell handguns, and a Cabelas which has no stupid policies. Guess which one has customers 3 deep behind the counter waiting to look/buy guns, and which ones are mostly empty......

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    How is it NOT profiling? Do they require a DL to hold an expensive golf club, try on a new pair of shoes, or hold a $300 fishing reel? Nope. They have identified that people looking at firearms are more likely to do something illegal. That, by definition, is profiling.

Expensive golf clubs, new pairs of shoes, and $300 fishing reels aren't used to kill people. It just seems like a (stupid) way to implement loss prevention on a high dollar asset. It may be dumb, but corporations aren't known for treating customers with the respect they deserve. Since this offends you, you made the right decision for you in not allowing that company to earn your business. I wouldn't call it profiling, though. :)

I've never had to turn over my driver's license to purchase a pair of Gucci shoes, but my Gucci shoes aren't used to kill people and Nieman Marcus isn't looking to offend their clientele.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

Eliminated a $400+ sale for them?? Okay so had they not ask to hold your DL and you decided to buy gun....would you had to hand them DL to run background check or if CHL holder...it and your DL as well. Don't make any sense to me. Their store, their gun, their rule.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom