Divulge Carrying

jmsfmtex

Aug 11, 2008
Fischer
I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? I was just wondering that if a friend, who knows you carry, asks if you are carrying.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? I was just wondering that if a friend, who knows you carry, asks if you are carrying.

Depends on the friend and the situation. Being friends is great, stepping on your friends is an invitation to ending the friendship. If I had a friend that did drugs, I'd limit my contact with them. I wouldn't be preachy, just aware of how it could affect my life, rights, and legal bill.

My generic answer would be, "Yes, I'm always packing ... my Love Gun".

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
Feb 29, 2008
DFW area.....Wylie.
I'm not aware of any statute that limits your ability to tell a friend that you carry. I will be amazed of somebody can produce evidence of such a law. I view it as concealed carry, not secret carry.

Maybe you are thinking about using your concealed handgun as a threat to somebody? IE: 'hey, I've got a gun!', is that what you mean?

navyguy

TGT Addict
Oct 22, 2008
DFW Keller
I too am not aware of any statute that says you can't tell a friend you are carrying.

You are not permitted to brandish your gun as a deterrent to a threat, and that could probably apply to announcing to someone you felt threatened by, that you have a gun. But that is quite different from telling a friend you are packing.

Exile Machine

May 17, 2009
Dallas Texas
I try to see how long I can go before someone I know discovers under their own power of observation that I'm carrying. So far no one has, and at some family gatherings I'll get hugs and I know they've pressed up against the gun and never said anything or reacted in any way. A few close family members know but no one else does. My best friend knows I'm a gun rights advocate and a CHL holder but it's never come up in conversation whether I'm carrying at any given moment.

Rocket_Cowboy

Apr 30, 2009
Plano, TX
My experience has been that unless you know your friend is pro-2a and is also a fellow shooter, it's probably best to not even mention whether you are carrying or even have a license to carry concealed.

I've had non-carrying friends ask "hey, are y'all carrying" right before doing something dumb, as if that would imply that we have his back while he's being an idiot. If/when TSHTF, I'd rather those friends who didn't know I have the ability not blurt it out for all to hear that I might be.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I have tried to find the portion, in the CHL laws, where it says that a person may not divulge that he/she in carrying concealed. Can anyone direct me to the section that addresses this issue? .

There is no such law. There have been a few people misinterpret the law that makes it an offense if you "intentionally fail to conceal" your handgun, to mean that you cannot even tell anyone. That belief is not based in fact.

;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
You are not permitted to brandish your gun as a deterrent to a threat,
Of course you can.

Top Bottom