• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you have LTC/carry/shooting insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 83 51.9%
    • No

Votes: 77 48.1%

• Total voters

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    I also have TLS. Covers more than just if you are involved in a shooting, which would be the worst event. The cost to defend yourself from even some small infraction is worth a decade of premiums at least. A shooting defense will probably bankrupt most people.
    I went ahead and bought a years worth of TLS + bail bond/expert witness optional coverage... with all the hooplah going on these days about guns, all someone has to do is claim you waved a gun at them and since you OWN a gun your ass is being arrested... I think anyone who doesnt have some sort of program that aids them in the event of a gun (or in TLS's case ANY weapon) related incident should really consider looking into one... $10-20/month vs $25K for potentital criminal/civil suit if it ever happens.... like someone said you can pay $10 a month for 100 years and still pay less than it would cost if you ever did have to go to court...
    Texas SOT

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I also have the full service from TLS. Less than $20 a month or roughly $240 a year. 10 years worth of payments is probably less than the retainer a lawyer would want just to start a defense. I have had some experience with lawyers in other matters and the cost for anything dealing with the legal system is very expensive. You can pay me now or pay me much, much more later. If you have no assets other than your gun and don't mind spending some time in jail while the legal system works, you probably don't need this.

FOX941

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2018
    Kyle
    It’s hard to get a room full of lawyers to agree on anything. But THE one thing they all agree on, is telling the police you were in fear for your life and that you invoke your right to remain silent and want to speak to your attorney immediately. And then comes the most difficult part for some people: STFU!
    Good point.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    IF you shoot someone in a self defense shooting, you ARE going to jail, at least over night. The cops don't know you or the person you shot. This is standard operating procedure. Your weapon will also be confiscated. If your story matches witness testimony, you will probably be released within 12 to 24 hours. Cops are NOT your friends, but will try to act like they are to get you to say something incriminating. Just say you feared for your life and then STFU! You're not getting out of the trip to jail, so don't think talking to them will stop that, it won't!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Having a lawyer around may also shorten the time you spend in jail that first night anyway and maybe later, depending.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Depends if there was ANY alcohol involved. If so, Perry Mason ain't getting you out.
    512px-Citation-needed.svg.png

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I'm speaking from experience. The shooting I was involved in occurred in a bar parking lot. Of course the authorities assumed I was drunk and made me take a years worth of alcohol counseling. But I had drunk only 3 beers that whole afternoon before the shooting. My lawyer told me to just go along with them, which I did. There is money for them to be made. The authorities, I mean. It's all about money. If you have a choice of whether to shoot the bastard or not, think real carefully! I did not.

MarkB462

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2018
    Austin
    I went with USCCA because it seemed like the best value when I compared them against others. Plus, I can add my wife for only $47 / year.

I had considered Texas Law Shield, but I didn't like how it was presented after the LTC class my wife and I attended. To me, it seemed like scare tactics presented to a bunch of new gun owners. I'm sure the stories told were true, but seemed a little under-handed to me. They did get lots of business that day, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use USCCA as well. I agree about the TLS being a bit over the top with the scare tactics. As you said, it worked in my class too as lots of people signed up.

Another reason I have this insurance for my wife and I is if someone breaks into my home. The liability coverage on most home insurance policies does not cover "expected or intended injury". I don't want to have to pay the legal fees up front before it is determined to be a lawful defensive shooting.

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    I signed up with FLP. My LTC instructor talked pretty highly of them and it seems pretty reasonable and we got a lifetime discount that was offered because of the class.

https://firearmslegal.com/

I truly hope I never need it. But if I ever do, I'm pretty sure I'd be glad I had it. As others have posted, the cost of this over time is small as compared to the potential legal fees if ever faced with a need to defend myself or my family.

Top Bottom