• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you have LTC/carry/shooting insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 83 51.9%
    • No

Votes: 77 48.1%

• Total voters

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    OK, question. You declare your 5th but what about family members who witness? At the scene questioning? Spouse can't testify against you in court, not protected at questioning?

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    I have a bit of a dumb question, does anybody have or would anybody recommend carrying insurance from different providers, say USCCA and Texas (US) Law Shield for example?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have a bit of a dumb question, does anybody have or would anybody recommend carrying insurance from different providers, say USCCA and Texas (US) Law Shield for example?

No. All you’r doing is paying more than once for similar service plans. These are not insurance products; read the service contract carefully, they are generally reimburse after the fact pending outcome.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I can pretty much guarantee that the answer to the subject question of this thread is NO. For everyone. Unless your homeowner's or commercial liability policies come into play for your home or business. Because there is no such thing as insurance against criminal prosecution. In fact, that is illegal. Maybe some of you have a pre-paid legal fee plan with lots of exclusions. But you don't have INSURANCE against civil liability through one of these plans. I guess some of the plans have a kind of legal "retainer" aspect, where you can ask questions of an attorney about gun laws minus having to pay the hourly fee. In return you're likely to get the context specific legal advice that you paid for through the plan (i.e. very little). These plans do have the feature of having "on call" attorneys available, presumably 24x7 so you have a number to call right away. On the other hand, if arrested for anything substantial, that's not as important as having an on call bail bondsman. My plans if I get arrested for anything gun related (or pretty much anything) is shut up, if in Texas call family who is a lawyer, call bondsman, repeat step 1 until I'm out on bail.

Billions - Lawyer!

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    I want to say that this was mentioned in my LTC class, but only recently have I actually thought about it a bit. I was wanting to make a poll to see if I wanted to dig deeper in the subject. Just a poll to see if people actually buy this type of insurance for LTC/carry/shooting/defense. A little input as to why would be cool. I'm kinda like "I'm probably never going to have to use my firearm or I'm going to get sued for everything I have when the day comes"

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    There are a LOT of choices out there. When I first started as an Instructor I carried and offered the USCCA coverage. After some investigation I switched to TX or US Law Shield (same company). They are comparable, it was just a personal preference for me. Most of my students are offered the option to sign up during my class. I sincerely hope and pray you NEVER need this coverage, but, much like your gun itself, when you need it, YOU NEED IT...

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    There is no such thing as carry insurance, it is prepaid legal services. But yes, I do have these services. Many folk feel that it's not needed, same goes for fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, etc... you never need it, till you do. if ya don't have it, well, you're just SOL.

Here's the way I look at it. If I have it and don't need it, then I'm not really out that much money. I waste more on junk. But if I do need it, then it's well worth the small price.
    EX. Based on a $15/mo plan

15x12= $180/yr
    at 10 yrs = $1,800
    at 50 yrs = $9,000
    at 100 yrs = 18,000

So if I paid $15/mo for 100 yrs, this is still cheaper than lawyer and court fees. Yeah, I could start saving for just in case something happens. But what happens if I need to draw down on someone tomorrow? next week? next month? There is no way I could have enough saved. With these legal services, your bail, court and lawyer fees can be paid, even if you have only been a member for 1 day.
    Since I became an Instructor I have had two of my students shoot someone. Both fully justifiable self defense. Both were charged. One had TX Law Shield, the other had no coverage. Night and day difference. The covered shooter has had the charges dropped after about six months. The other one is still facing charges and has a public defender for an attorney.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    After a DGU, it’s more important than ever to not talk to the police.

However, at some point someone has to tell your side of the story. And that someone is a lawyer, not you.

If you haven’t seen this, it worth the time to listen. Talking to the police will not help you. It can not help you.

Spending the night in jail waiting for legal counsel, is way better than potentially spending your life in jail.

But your right to silence must be invoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I served 8 years in Law Enforcement. The best advice I could give you after a DGU is STFU! Seriously. Most Police Officers have legal representation at the time they give their official statement after shooting someone.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    I’m curious for cases in Texas where this has happened when the elements of TPC 9.3x or 9.4x have been met.
    A perfect example is the young Ft. Hood soldier that shot and killed the dude in Austin after he pointed an AK-47 at him during a BLM protest. He's been charged with murder. He had previously made comments on social media reference blocking the road during protests. Something to the effect of "try that in Texas and see what happens." Very clearly legit self defense case, however... it is AUSTIN.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A perfect example is the young Ft. Hood soldier that shot and killed the dude in Austin after he pointed an AK-47 at him during a BLM protest. He's been charged with murder. He had previously made comments on social media reference blocking the road during protests. Something to the effect of "try that in Texas and see what happens." Very clearly legit self defense case, however... it is AUSTIN.

That case hasn’t gone to trial, so no evidence has been presented.

ETA: the DA is accused of tampering w/APD witnesses to the Grand Jury over that indictment.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    There are a LOT of choices out there. When I first started as an Instructor I carried and offered the USCCA coverage. After some investigation I switched to TX or US Law Shield (same company). They are comparable, it was just a personal preference for me. Most of my students are offered the option to sign up during my class. I sincerely hope and pray you NEVER need this coverage, but, much like your gun itself, when you need it, YOU NEED IT...
    What percentage are you paid when a student joins Tx or US Law Shield?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Most quality Instructors teach "shoot to stop the THREAT." Never "shoot to kill." Be aware any and all comments on social media can, and HAVE been used against defendants in court.
    This is one of those clever counter-points that some like to use. Just like using the position of only using factory ammo, or the same ammo that LE uses if you happened to be arrested on a self-defense type shooting situation.

Many times in the past, I have brought these counter-points up. A justified and righteous self defense shooting is just that. The ammo used is irrelevant, as are the weapon used. What people say on any social media is protected by the 1st Amendment last I checked.

A counter-point I have used is this. If you are sitting in a court of law, charged with a crime because of "supposed" self-defense shooting, it is because the LE officers didn't believe your story and the facts and evidence didn't line up with your version of the story. Which means a prosecutor didn't believe your story, and the grand jury didn't believe your story, and now, you have to convince a judge and jury of your story.

So if you have made the journey from that point to the courtroom, it is quite possible they may drag anything and everything into court to discredit you and prove their case I suppose.

Now if you have some actual court cases, and the dispositions, and verdicts of those cases to prove your assertion, I'm sure many of us would like to see them.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    This is one of those clever counter-points that some like to use. Just like using the position of only using factory ammo, or the same ammo that LE uses if you happened to be arrested on a self-defense type shooting situation.

Many times in the past, I have brought these counter-points up. A justified and righteous self defense shooting is just that. The ammo used is irrelevant, as are the weapon used. What people say on any social media is protected by the 1st Amendment last I checked.

A counter-point I have used is this. If you are sitting in a court of law, charged with a crime because of "supposed" self-defense shooting, it is because the LE officers didn't believe your story and the facts and evidence didn't line up with your version of the story. Which means a prosecutor didn't believe your story, and the grand jury didn't believe your story, and now, you have to convince a judge and jury of your story.

So if you have made the journey from that point to the courtroom, it is quite possible they may drag anything and everything into court to discredit you and prove their case I suppose.

Now if you have some actual court cases, and the dispositions, and verdicts of those cases to prove your assertion, I'm sure many of us would like to see them.
    I can cite several examples I know of, but so can you with a few seconds on Google... I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I offered advice, you are free to take it or leave it. That's the beauty of a "free" society... and I use that term loosely.

Top Bottom