Does Your Sheriffs Have One Of These?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by slim jim, Apr 16, 2008.

1. slim jim

slim jim Official News Guy

Mar 18, 2008
  2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Haha, that's pretty cool. I want a M113. I've seen a few different county Sheriff's departments that have them or something similar. I don't see anything wrong with that. Some people get bent out of shape about the whole "militarization" of the police (kind of a misnomer IMO). Personally I look at it like this. They are there to do a job that could likely become dangerous and bullets could start flying. Because of that possibility they wear body armor and carry weapons like M4's and Mp5's so that they will have sufficient ability to return fire if they come under fire. I mean they are putting themselves in harm's way, so why shouldn't they do everything possible to protect themselves? Some people act like SWAT teams should be issued pink tu tu's, stacking up on the compound armed only with .38 cal revolvers, politely announcing their presence so as to not scare anyone inside. :rofl:

In this situation, judging by some of the aerial photos I've seen the compound appears to be 3 stories tall and quite large. On top of that it looks like there is a pretty large amount of open ground to cover up to the compound. Because of that, in a worst case scenario, anyone held up in the compound could have the advantage of high ground and a lack of cover up to the compound so things could go south very quickly. So what do can the SWAT team do? They use an armored vehicle to transport them more safely up to the compound. People see tactical gear, "assault rifles", and armored vehicles and they sometimes get all bent out of shape thinking the police are somehow "declaring war" on civilians. That's just preposterous. Now the day when the police are rolling armored vehicles up and calling in air support and arty strikes (I'm joking obviously) on a house they are doing a no knock warrant search for because the owner forgot to pay a parking ticket, then that is the day they will have gone too far. :rofl:

Oh yeah, and if they had a M2 .50bmg or Mk19 40mm mounted on that M113, well then that would be a little overboard. :rofl:

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's just a safety tool. It'd be different if it was an M1A2 Abrams.

4. Longtooths

Longtooths Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    It's all rainbows and cute little bunnies until someone gets hurt.

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    And here I was about to respond OT style with "no M2, no care."

6. dwnbylaw

dwnbylaw New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Midland, Tx.
    I live in Midland County, I love that thing. Ive never seen it used but what the hell...ya never know.:rofl:

7. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I used to live in Midland Couny; three of our kids were born there. One of them lives there again now with his family. Never realized they had any armour.

8. Slotback

Slotback Member

Mar 10, 2008
    We don't have one. However, I did request one as a patrol car.

9. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I think they were expecting another Waco.Kind of weird that Midland has one for such a small county.They have no armored vehicles in my town which is having a drug war across the river in Juarez.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Get a half-track, it's like a vehicular mullet. It's got the calm business end, and the party tracks out back :banger: