• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I believe I was given my first gun when I was 5 or 6.
    Was it this one?
    ed0da1024ac26cae4c1db44b26de86d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• ed0da1024ac26cae4c1db44b26de86d5.jpg
      ed0da1024ac26cae4c1db44b26de86d5.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 708

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Gun purchase for someone else - can get you in Fed trouble.
    This would be trouble in the state I formerly resided in, komifornia. Every gun must be transferred thru an FFL, subject to a background check, 10 day wait.
    In the great state of Texas
    A father giving a fun to his son dosent concern the feds unless this transaction crosses state lines (interstate commerce) or the father knows his son is unable to legally own a firearm.

It would only be a straw purchase if the son paid the father for the fun so father could go buy it.

Trust me, most of the guns in my safe we're purchased for my wife, my son, and my daughter's. And I'm no felon.

PS. It's not my fault I end up using all of their guns, they don't appreciate my gifts.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    This would be trouble in the state I formerly resided in, komifornia. Every gun must be transferred thru an FFL, subject to a background check, 10 day wait.
    In the great state of Texas
    A father giving a fun to his son dosent concern the feds unless this transaction crosses state lines (interstate commerce) or the father knows his son is unable to legally own a firearm.

It would only be a straw purchase if the son paid the father for the fun so father could go buy it.

Trust me, most of the guns in my safe we're purchased for my wife, my son, and my daughter's. And I'm no felon.

PS. It's not my fault I end up using all of their guns, they don't appreciate my gifts.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    Great way to get new guns and give a gift that comes back to you.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Never buy your adult child any firearm unless they would like to own it. A friend had three 1911s and three sons. He gave each one of the 1911s as a gift. Two of them were really grateful, the third sold his in a pawn shop so he could spend the money. Once you give something away it is no longer yours to place restrictions on.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Never buy your adult child any firearm unless they would like to own it. A friend had three 1911s and three sons. He gave each one of the 1911s as a gift. Two of them were really grateful, the third sold his in a pawn shop so he could spend the money. Once you give something away it is no longer yours to place restrictions on.
    One of my uncles had guns & actually hunted. He had a lever action I told him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. He always said he felt the guns should go to his 3 grandsons. Turned out the oldest one stole them & pawned them for drug money.

After my first African safari I brought a photo album home to show my dad who lived out of state. He mentioned my uncle just got home from the hospital after having a stroke. My dad asked if I wanted to go see him & my response was "Not if it's going to mess up my memories of him before the stroke"! We went & as sad as it was seeing him like tat the pictures sure lit him up. Eventually he said he wished he had just given me all of his guns, seeing what his own grandson did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Well I took the Stoeger and 400 rounds out today. It was a mixture of WWB, fiocchi, hornady HAP, and acme coated lead round nose. I shot every round I brought. The gun ate everything I gave it. I even alternated rounds in quite a few magazines without a single malfunction.

The only complaint I have is that it has only 1 magazine. My maglula earned its keep today.

This pistol ended up being very fun to shoot. Recoil was lighter than many 9mms i own/have shot. This made it easy to keep the pistol on target during rapid fire. I kept wanting to shoot it faster and faster. Overall, I'm impressed.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Well I took the Stoeger and 400 rounds out today. It was a mixture of WWB, fiocchi, hornady HAP, and acme coated lead round nose. I shot every round I brought. The gun ate everything I gave it. I even alternated rounds in quite a few magazines without a single malfunction.

The only complaint I have is that it has only 1 magazine. My maglula earned its keep today.

This pistol ended up being very fun to shoot. Recoil was lighter than many 9mms i own/have shot. This made it easy to keep the pistol on target during rapid fire. I kept wanting to shoot it faster and faster. Overall, I'm impressed.
    Thanks for the range report! Less common gun so good to hear good things. The Canik you sought seems to be similar. Lower price but still nice. Just not as known. I think the Caniks have some of the best factory triggers on the markets.

And, although it's already been hashed out, here's my 2c on the buying thing. A couple of sample situations:

Your LGS (we don't mention the box stores; support your LGS!) has a sale on a gun. Your buddy is off shore (good guy; has a CHL/LTC) and calls you and says "Hey! They got $200 off that gun I want. I'll be back in town next month. Can you get it for me and I'll pay you back?" No. Straw purchase.

Your LGS has a sale on a gun you know your buddy was drooling over. His birthday is coming up. You have historically given nice gifts to each other. Maybe he got you a fancy salt water reel or a night vision scope a few months back for your birthday. He gets back from off shore and you say "sorry we missed your birthday but I got you this!" Okay.

If there's an implicit reciprocity or quid-pro-quo, it's a straw purchase. But gifts can be given and it doesn't have to be immediate family. You "are the actual buyer" because you bought it to give as a gift.

With immediate family, there's the additional extension of the "household gun". It's reasonable to assume that a woman who doesn't really care for guns but comes in to buy a Shockwave is buying it "for the house" and so she can buy it even though her husband said "I can't get to the LGS before it closes...go get this gun for us."

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have given my son several guns. With the caveat, "if you need cash and think of selling it, bring it to me and I will buy it from you."

Turns out he's like his old man and doesn't want to part with any so far.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    My grandfather had a 1st Generation Colt 1873 SAA. With it he had some hand made cartridges. It was on the table in his den. It sat there for decades. His brother was a drinker and wheeler dealer. At one time he was a travelling rep for Winchester. He demonstrated and sold Winchesters. One day he came to my grandmother and told her that W***** said it was OK for him to borrow it. We never saw it again.

91B10

HATES: Politicians and Rust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    South Texas
    I have two teenagers and a bunch of guns, they each have "their" guns and thier own safes. Since neither one is a "felon", I have purchased all the guns in question that were not hand me downs or heirlooms. Any transactions (weather they be in the form of chores, extra work or cash) that may or may not take place between my boys and I, under my roof, I consider not to be the business of the state or federal government. Nor will I EVER. If I choose to use a firearm or ammunition as an incentive or lesson in financial responsibility then that is NOT anyone else's business. TAKE THIS STRAW AND SHOVE IT.

Top Bottom