• satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That sucks.

GoPappy,

When my Uncle Wayne passed away on 18JUN10 (YES, the former "acting" COB of the USS CHAMPION that I've mentioned elsewhere here), some !@#$!@# CREEPS broke into the family home DURING his funeral & took essentially everything salable, including all 18 of his firearms (ONE of the guns was MINE & was "loaned out" to a cousin.). = Nobody was at the house (& attending the funeral) for less than 90 minutes!!!
    (The criminal(s) even stole the family photos off the walls.)
    NOTHING has ever been recovered, except some heavy items (mostly pots & pans) from the kitchen that were thrown away. - I guess that the thieves couldn't sell them.

yours, satx

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    It just doesn't get much lower than that. Just wow.

I'm sure you would pay a princely sum to know who did it and to have a few minutes alone with them in a locked room. Heck, I'd pay a fair amount just to watch.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    DoubleDuty; GoPappy,

There would be little left of the criminals to "discuss the theft with" IF our local TX Ranger (who was his best friend) & the Sheriff could have found the criminal(s). = Ranger B_______ was HOT enough to light as cigar off of, when he arrived for the after funeral reception at my aunt's house (Next door & just across the driveway from my uncle's place.) & saw the front door-frame "pushed apart".
    (As best as the tool-marks technician could tell, the door frame was "spread apart" with a large hydraulic jack. = It cost over 1,000.oo just to repair the door & adjoining walls.)

Fwiw, there were 6 sets of UNKNOWN fingerprints recovered by the local SD's evidence tech & NONE were on file anywhere. - Also, the walls were smeared with human feces & the contents of the fridge were smeared all over the living room walls & ground into the carpets, too.
    (Care to guess who the criminals were & where they were from??)

A veteran SGT of the THP who soon arrived after the call to 9-1-1 was made, said that he was "99% sure" that the theft was by an organized gang of cross-border thieves, as he had seen that M.O. before.

ADDENDA: One of the things taken that made me want to "go sit in the corner & weep" was the loss of my G-G-Grandfather's (retirement) gold RR watch, that was to come to me as "custodian for my lifetime", as the eldest grandson, after my uncle's passing. = PRICELESS to our family.

yours, satx

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    SATX, had a similar thing happen. During the funeral for my grandmother, extended family members emptied the house of anything of value.

During the funeral I wondered where they were. When we returned, the house had been emptied of valued items. They somehow thought they were entitled to that stuff and took it. Apparently they themselves were not convinced, as they took it while the funeral was going on.

If you inherit something, you don't have to take it when nobody is around. That's more in the nature of stealing.

That act of cowardice and betrayal ruined decades long relationships. We vacationed together. We often dined together. We spent multiple holidays together. We were beyond family. We were friends. Till that day.

All that over maybe $5000 worth of stuff. My grandparents were not wealthy people.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    deemus,

Since it was "extended family members" who did the thefts, did your family get most of the items back??

yours, satx

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Never buy your adult child any firearm unless they would like to own it. A friend had three 1911s and three sons. He gave each one of the 1911s as a gift. Two of them were really grateful, the third sold his in a pawn shop so he could spend the money. Once you give something away it is no longer yours to place restrictions on.
    No, but if you’ve chosen to do so and fared similarly, you’ve just gained a priceless lesson about the leanings of your adult progeny that may prove abundantly more valuable than the cost of a firearm later on, when it comes to dealing with that family member later on.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    WildcatDiva,

SPOT ON. = Fwiw, I once gave a pump shotgun to a (now EX) BiL, after he repeatedly asked me to give it to him.

When I found out that he sold it a few weeks later, I then KNEW that "Craig" was NOT trustworthy. = Learning that was worth more than the old/used Model 870 ever was.

yours, satx

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    SATX, had a similar thing happen. During the funeral for my grandmother, extended family members emptied the house of anything of value.

During the funeral I wondered where they were. When we returned, the house had been emptied of valued items. They somehow thought they were entitled to that stuff and took it. Apparently they themselves were not convinced, as they took it while the funeral was going on.

If you inherit something, you don't have to take it when nobody is around. That's more in the nature of stealing.

That act of cowardice and betrayal ruined decades long relationships. We vacationed together. We often dined together. We spent multiple holidays together. We were beyond family. We were friends. Till that day.

All that over maybe $5000 worth of stuff. My grandparents were not wealthy people.

Another wow. It is amazing to me that people are willing to screw family members, dishonor the dead and sacrifice friendships and relationships over a few paltry material things.

My brother and I inherited some land and things from our grandfather over 30 years ago. We swore a blood oath that we would never have a cross word over any of it. And we have not. Both of us agreed that we would give our entire share to the other before we would fight over any of it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Talking about sorry relatives that act poorly upon the death of a family elder reminds me of a story that happened in our bunch.
    Old Aunt Suzie died.
    She had been an elderly widow who lived alone in a very small modest house. Her husband(Herbert) had passed about 15yrs earlier and she lived very meagerly.
    Her sister(my grandmother) was the only living family she still had in the area so we checked on her often, repaired things around her house, mowed the yard, etc.
    When she and her husband were younger that had traveled around the U.S.
    Suzie had a small collection of commemorative plates, cups, mugs, spoons of their travels. Most of this was mounted on the wall in the hallway of her house.
    After she died grandmother me asked to help remove the heavy furniture from the house so the house could be cleaned in preparation of being sold.
    Grandmother basically wanted to get rid of everything as what was there was very basic stuff. Back then(1980) old tattered 1950's era furniture wasn't worth much.
    About a gazillion "relatives" showed up then. These were cousins and uncles and such that I had never seen in my life.
    I'm not kidding when I say these people went ape shit, literally fighting over a chair, a hairbrush, etc.
    They were ripping those plates and spoons off the wall like they were made of gold. It was disgusting.
    Reminded me of vultures squabbling over a dead carcass.
    What tripped my trigger was when as I was taking the bed apart in the master bedroom lifting the mattress off the box spring there was an old .22 revolver there between the mattress and box spring. It had been there so long it had rusted into the cloth covering. It had to be peeled off the box spring. It was in awful condition. I assume it had been Herbert's and had been under that mattress since he passed.
    Had the old gun in my hand as I turned to show it to my Dad who was standing by the doorway to the bedroom.
    Just as I said "Hey Dad, look at....." some unknown woman rushed in and snatched it out of my hand saying, "Aunt Suzie said I could have that!"
    This instantly chapped my ass. I grabbed her by the collar and slammed her against the wall while forcefully twisting the gun out of her hand saying, "No. No she didn't."
    Aunt Suzie probably didn't even know that old gun was there.
    Anyways, gun snatcher started running her mouth about her husband was gonna kick my ass, yada, yada, yada. Told her to go get the guy. I'll wait right here.
    She ran off and never saw her again.
    Gave the gun to Grandmother later.
    She gave it to the Po-Po to destroy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Moonpie,

I'm "too old of a bunny" to be surprised when people act like a herd of hungry swine. = I've seen similar messes to what you recounted in too many families when I was a LEO.
    (Some such "divisions of property" end up in truly ugly BRAWLS & with people locked up.)

yours, satx

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    deemus,

Since it was "extended family members" who did the thefts, did your family get most of the items back??

yours, satx

No sir. Not one thing. They refused, and said it was supposed to be theirs. Just their word you see, not one thing that said it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Another wow. It is amazing to me that people are willing to screw family members, dishonor the dead and sacrifice friendships and relationships over a few paltry material things.

My brother and I inherited some land and things from our grandfather over 30 years ago. We swore a blood oath that we would never have a cross word over any of it. And we have not. Both of us agreed that we would give our entire share to the other before we would fight over any of it.

The big irony of the whole deal was that my mom was executor per my grandmother's will. My aunt had tried to fraudulently change it to where she was, prior to my grandmother passing, but it was found out when the attorney called my grandmother to sign the new will. She realized what had happened, and didn't sign it. But no one said one word to my aunt. She thought she had gotten one over on everyone. (She's not very bright and was never exposed to much in this world)

My mom was upset about it, but forgave her. The will stated that all was to be sold and the proceeds split between the two sisters. My aunt's husband had left her due to her being an angry nut. She literally only had a car. And went from kid to kid living with them for a few weeks at a time.

So when my grandmother died, my mom had papers drawn up to give my aunt the house, just sign it over to her. She felt sorry for my aunt. My parents were very comfortable in life, house paid off, etc. My mom wanted to do something so her sister had a place to live. It was to happen at the probate proceeding.

Reading of will occurs, aunt nutjob flips out and starts yelling and screaming and told the judge, "I'm the executor! I changed her will myself!!" She was shocked when the judge suggested she should be arrested for fraud if she had indeed changed it herself. It was an embarrassing scene for my dad who was friends with the judge. My mom was crying.

So the papers signing over the house to her stayed in the envelope. It was the only thing of any real value. Of course this is just a few weeks after the house had been raided. The whole thing ended up trashing the relationships. We rarely see any of them.

My mom used the money from grandmother's life insurance and pensions to pay the taxes and utilities on that house until the money ran out. She never took a dime for herself, in spite of all that happened. My aunt lived in that old house for years, my mom paying all the bills.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    When my oldest boy turned 18 he asked me to buy him a pistol. I thought he would be responsible. We shook on a deal, he fronted the money, I'd buy the gun a Ruger P94DC. Until his 21st birthday the gun was mine, stayed in my safe and he had to tell me(not ask) before he removed it. We went to the gun show. He lived up to the deal and soon lost interest in the weapon. I think he lost interest when I started making him replace the ammo he used. The gun became a safe queen. After he turned 21 he told me he was going to keep his gun in his truck. He owned it, he could do what he wanted. He left it for over a year untouched in his leaky vehicle. Until it apparently rusted to a point where it would not operate. Don't know as he told his mom this after I'd offered to buy it back for what I'd payed for it. He was ashamed to show me, for good reason. He believed a silicone sock would make it indestructible. ( I use them in the safe often) Don't know what he did with the gun, he still won't talk. I've offered to try and de-rust it. Its been almost 10 years now, sad to think it died. I gifted a cheap 1911 that he takes better care of but seldom if ever shoots. Gave the other boy an SKS that he shoots and cleans once a year or so. But he hoards ammo for it. Says he's waiting for the SHTF. What shit? What fan? He is not sure but takes comfort in that he has a rifle. They are my boys and I never really cared what the laws are. When I thought they were ready they were ready.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    We, in our Family, have learned to never "leave" anything to more than one person. Better to have any "hard feelings" up-front and resolved, over quickly, than decades of "estate wrangling". My personal effects are going directly to individual grand-kids. Real estate is going one piece EACH, individually, after we both are gone. Even if folks agree to "get-along", decades and subsequent deaths can really change things.

I turn 76 on the 27th of this month.

leVieux

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    My maternal grandmother gave me my grandfather's single six, and NAA black widow after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's but before he passed. After he passed I was blown away. My aunt who had disowned her parents and moved far away, had several more kids which nobody even knew showed up for the funeral. After the funeral she was back at the house literally making a pile of things she was taking home. Nothing sentimental, looking for valuables. Unbolting bench vices. Power tools. Haven't seen her since.

When my paternal grandfather passed I flew my wife and 3 kids to the farm in Kentucky. I grew up spending summers there. All of my cousins were asking for things, guns we're being handed out. My grandmother got pissed and had to announce " nobody is taking anything else "
    I left empty handed. I didn't go there for that. I wanted my kids to see the farm.

My father approached my grandmother after I left and asked her if he could have a gun for me, he ended up driving home to CA with an 870 wingmaster 20ga. ( Fully loaded because he dose t know how to check) .

You will never guess what my 3 favorite guns are........

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom