• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Dead pig is dead pig. Mag dump on the fuckers next time.
    That's funny. Like I said that was my 1st and I've never hunted before. But I actually considered doing just that however I don't know how well they can see or smell so I went for the known. Educate me on approaching them and taking more quickly.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Grats on the first piggy kill. Can't wait till I get to take some bacon with my AR or squirrels/bunnies with my 22 or just do any hunting period. You don't know how pissed I am at my stepdad for having me live out in Podunk Kentucky for 8 years and never taking me hunting or hell even handing me the pellet rifle to take our pesky blackbirds. All he did was teach me basic gun safety on a daisy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    That's funny. Like I said that was my 1st and I've never hunted before. But I actually considered doing just that however I don't know how well they can see or smell so I went for the known. Educate me on approaching them and taking more quickly.

they are fast that's fo sho....in my experience they can smell perty good as well as hear, but it seems to me that when they feed its like sharks, a feeding frenzy. Depends what you want to do with em. If your gonna eat em ( which I highly encourage) head shots....if not just mow em down, if they don't drop they will run off and die else where & save you the chore of getting rid of em.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    them little water melons are the best eaters, only next time.....head shot, wont waist a bit of meat. Soooo, when is the pit gonna fire up?

+1....I'd rather shoot a couple of those small ones, instead of a hundred plus pig any day. Congratulations.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Their sense of smell is nothing short of paranormal. Their eyesight is much better than the old wives tales would let one to believe. No real trick to killing them. An aimpoint or eotech is good for multiple shots at close range( so is a Benelli shotgun) and just shoot until they stop running or you can't see them anymore. A surefire 60 or 100 round mag is very good for this.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The big ones usually show up after the small ones. Also try waiting 15 minutes in the blind after shooting. Sometime they'll come back.
    I wasn't in a blind, I was in my living room! lol

Actually there's several reasons I watched them for so long:

1. Get a head count
    2. Waiting for a clear shot
    3. Hoping for a fat sow to show so I could stop at least one baby machine

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I have shot more pigs with my 22 mag than with any other firearm that I have, perty good size ones too. I'd say the biggest being in the 180# to 200# range. All of them head shots at the furthest distance of about 65-70 yards, on average of 45 to 50 yards. I'm sure some will call BS on that but I have honestly done it, it does work, just ask them pi......oh wait ......never mind.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Here again, in my ventures, if you are seeing them in the day time then you already have a good number of hogs. And as things dry up even more they will be out looking for wet mud hole places to waller in

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    We gotta fix that my man, it's supper easy to bbq em, slow and low with a little Italian dressing,onions & bell pepers, oh my it's sooooo good
    Tell ya what, I'll be the hunter *cough - cough* and you do the cookin'. 'bout the only way this plan is workable :p

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Tell ya what, I'll be the hunter *cough - cough* and you do the cookin'. 'bout the only way this plan is workable :p

Hey....I'm in JACK! Trust you me...as the old saying goes, "if I can do it, well it aint that damn hard". My work schedule is kinda weird but it does allow me some long days off:eek:. We can figure something out, i'm sure they aint going any where. How much property do you have and does anyone around you hunt em?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The pig is still laying where I have the corn out. I can see some bucks in the shadows about 15' beyond there, guess they're deciding what to do.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    The pig is still laying where I have the corn out. I can see some bucks in the shadows about 15' beyond there, guess they're deciding what to do.

Them bucks will come out to eat, I do suggest moving the carcass as far away as possible cause its a gonna start to stinkin. Unless....you are looking to pop a coyote or two

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Since it was a small pig (@ 20lb) I 1st thought of using the 10/22 but obviously it's not a magnum.

Here again, in my ventures, if you are seeing them in the day time then you already have a good number of hogs. And as things dry up even more they will be out looking for wet mud hole places to waller in
    So why after 4 years did they finally come out? We had a pretty bad drought in 2011 and I never saw them.

When I went to find the body I did see what could have been pig trails but they weren't completely trampled to dirt. I also have plenty of coon, fox, and deer in those same areas.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Since it was a small pig (@ 20lb) I 1st thought of using the 10/22 but obviously it's not a magnum.

So why after 4 years did they finally come out? We had a pretty bad drought in 2011 and I never saw them.

When I went to find the body I did see what could have been pig trails but they weren't completely trampled to dirt. I also have plenty of coon, fox, and deer in those same areas.

that 10/22 will do the job...head shot! No telling, they may have had other areas to feed and waller or if some of the land around you is being cleared for farming or development that could have pushed them into your area. Also I have been told that thebig boars will kill the little ones in order to get the sow to breed. As long as the little ones are with mamma (on the tit) she wont breed. Have not seen it but I have seen a sow grunt and run her piglets into the brush & shortly after a huge boar came busting out of the brush with a vengeance. He died.....I did opt to use the 45-70 though

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Those little ones are edible but probably full of fleas and ticks this time of year. Otherwise, if you want to eat it and reduce the population, always go for the sows. The meat is a bit more tender. Also, even though it's basically a large rat, I still prefer to dispatch them cleanly with a neck shot if possible. As far as the carcass, it will get bloated and stinky in a matter of days but as far as deer go, they will eat right beside a dead pig IME. Hell, I have shot near a half dozen different deer not long after putting a pig down that was munchin' my deer corn. Dead pigs may be some of the best deer bait I have ever used!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    We were going dove hunting once. And a buddy of mine took piglet who was still on the tit. You wanna talk tender melt in your mouth goodness...

Top Bottom