• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    Since it was a small pig (@ 20lb) I 1st thought of using the 10/22 but obviously it's not a magnum.

So why after 4 years did they finally come out? We had a pretty bad drought in 2011 and I never saw them.

When I went to find the body I did see what could have been pig trails but they weren't completely trampled to dirt. I also have plenty of coon, fox, and deer in those same areas.
    Seriously, can Hubby and I book our next hunt on your property? I promise to clean up any mess we make and I'll even wash the dishes that are in the sink

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Hell greg...I'm a half ass decent tracker. I'll bring two cases of refreshment and meet you on that dusty trail

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    A dead pig is a good pig. You should get a game camera, and definitely fix the POA issue.

If you were close enough to take that photo from the house, I would not advise advancing any further to take the shot. Start putting corn/veggies out in that same spot. If it's not too much of an eyesore for everybody (I don't know what your family situation is), set yourself up a standing rest, so you can quickly escape from the rear of the house and get into a stable shooting position quickly.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Their sense of smell is nothing short of paranormal. Their eyesight is much better than the old wives tales would let one to believe. No real trick to killing them. An aimpoint or eotech is good for multiple shots at close range( so is a Benelli shotgun) and just shoot until they stop running or you can't see them anymore. A surefire 60 or 100 round mag is very good for this.
    Those sights are a bit out of my range at the moment. Besides the 10/22, I considered a shotgun too before settling on the MSR. What shells should I have used? I found 60rds mags at $99, does it get any better?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hey....I'm in JACK! Trust you me...as the old saying goes, "if I can do it, well it aint that damn hard". My work schedule is kinda weird but it does allow me some long days off:eek:. We can figure something out, i'm sure they aint going any where. How much property do you have and does anyone around you hunt em?
    My property is about the size of 2, maybe 3 postage stamps ... lol. I take these critters on a private road easement that borders the woods.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Those little ones are edible but probably full of fleas and ticks this time of year. Otherwise, if you want to eat it and reduce the population, always go for the sows. The meat is a bit more tender. Also, even though it's basically a large rat, I still prefer to dispatch them cleanly with a neck shot if possible. As far as the carcass, it will get bloated and stinky in a matter of days but as far as deer go, they will eat right beside a dead pig IME. Hell, I have shot near a half dozen different deer not long after putting a pig down that was munchin' my deer corn. Dead pigs may be some of the best deer bait I have ever used!
    I prefer a humane kill also but if they become more of a problem, spray n pray method may be employed.

LoL on the deer bait.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    A dead pig is a good pig. You should get a game camera, and definitely fix the POA issue.

If you were close enough to take that photo from the house, I would not advise advancing any further to take the shot. Start putting corn/veggies out in that same spot. If it's not too much of an eyesore for everybody (I don't know what your family situation is), set yourself up a standing rest, so you can quickly escape from the rear of the house and get into a stable shooting position quickly.
    Not sure what you mean by "escape from the rear of the house".

I wasn't gonna tell all my secretes but .... the corner of the house I shot from is where my meter pole and breaker box are. The box is the perfect height for me to rest the fore end on :cool:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Not sure what you mean by "escape from the rear of the house".

I wasn't gonna tell all my secretes but .... the corner of the house I shot from is where my meter pole and breaker box are. The box is the perfect height for me to rest the fore end on :cool:

I am sure the meter maid likes that..

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Based on what you wrote I thought you saw them from the front of the house and crept out the back. Surely you didn't go right out the front door in plain sight?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That critter looks like my ex-wife. Then, again, it is too quiet and easy to get along with.

After I posted that I thought......she was never easy to get along with AND it looked more like her while having sex..........Cold, lifeless, uncaring and detached. Perfect likeness!

Flash

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Those sights are a bit out of my range at the moment. Besides the 10/22, I considered a shotgun too before settling on the MSR. What shells should I have used? I found 60rds mags at $99, does it get any better?
    At that distance 00buck is your friend. Not a horrible price on the 60 round mags.
    While I have killed hundreds and hundreds of pigs with a .22, the vas majority have been in traps. On those little ones you are probably good to go using a .22lr, but on anything much bigger I would use more gun. I have found .22s and a 17hmr in the necks of pigs ( completely healed and festering)I have shot and skinned.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    They're BAAaack! No sign of them yesterday (I'm off on Mondays) but I just saw 4 in the tall grass again at dusk. Don't know how they sensed me but I couldn't take a shot before they pushed deeper into the woods.

Hoji 00B resides in my HD pump so it's GTG. No auto loader.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Lots of good advice here. I'm thinking you can outsmart a pig. ;)

They're smart, but,..........

Top Bottom