Dove Hunting

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Texsun, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Texsun

Texsun Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Can anybody recommend a dovehunt near DFW?

2. AR15Vern

AR15Vern New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Arms

How many arms do you have? They have a one arm dove hunt in Olney, TX every year. I've been to a couple of them (not shooting).

3. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I think Stephenville. TX claims to be the Dove Hunting capitol of Texas, get online and check 'em out. Pretty dry so I don't know hunting will be in September there.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've been thinking of trying to organize a TGT hunt for this September. That type of hunting is best when you can get a group... 3 or more. The cursory looking I've done showed a lot of ranches around Throckmorton, Shackelford, and Stephens counties. Most offer day hunst from $60 - $100 per shooter. I'll have to see how many are interested.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

My 16 year old son and I would be interested.:happy0001:

6. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    I did my first dove and quail hunting in Spring Creek, Texas, between Young and Archer Counties. Between Olney and Megargel. Lots of brush, too many Mesquite trees and right on the Brazos River. Rattlesnake dens everywhere. That's also the country where I learned to quilt and cook. That's where this city girl learned what it meant to be a country woman. Lots of memories. But none of a one arm dove hunt. Were you kidding? What is a one arm hunt???

7. Texsun

Texsun Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I thought his comment was pretty tasteless, especially in light of all the returning vets and friends of vets on this forum.

8. PShurtleff

PShurtleff New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Austin
    You might want to contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Or rather search through their web page. They permit dove hunting in various parks and game managment areas. There are safety rules such as wearing the day glo orange but they do have a lot of land open for dove hunting. At least they did when I checked it out several years ago.

9. Texsun

Texsun Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks, PS....I have duck hunted that way but never dove.

10. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    There actually is a one arm dove hunt and many participants are vets and some that have accidents and cancer. Dont comment on something that you dont have a clue about!:texas:Its been going on for over 30 years.