• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You need to have a percolation test performed to see what type of design you need. There are many ways to skin a cat. Prices quoted seem high for your needs.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    That is why you need a perc test in order to determine if the soil can handle the drainage. There are many types of “clay” and some can take the moisture.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Clay soil doesn't allow the water to seep once it's saturated. It will hold water/sewage. A conventional system will have issues in clay soil.

Once you get past about two feet around my place it's clay on down. In seventeen years, my septic tank has only been sucked out once about six years ago. House plans didn't offer an option of a separate grease trap system, and it would have cost about $3500 at the time to install one into the drain system. Would have had to be done before the foundation was poured. Just wasn't feasible at the time of construction, time and money. I also wanted a propane gas system for the gas stove we already had, instead of an electric stove, but that too would have required a plumber and not an option with the house plans, and with the location of the kitchen and the stove area, I was quoted about $4000 to put in the gas plumbing and modifications. Again, not feasible at the time for time and money involved.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Got a lot done yesterday at the property. We've outgrown our travel trailer and wife wants a newer one, so this will be my second home for a while.

936a61b681989d79417cdb6962a11826.jpg

289ac80e5b142e41b5930baaae6ffd97.jpg

The camp site is on a slope and it took a while to get the trailer leveled. But with some help we got it knocked out. Water and septic is next. I built a protein feeder to try out and got it setup. I have a corn/soybean mix in it now but will switch to protein at the end of the summer.

d25b7dac17b3e8077f7e74b0a200976b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Might want to think about a pole barn over your RV. Will add several years to its lifespan
    Yeah I've considered it. I'm still not sure what structure I want to put out there. I'm leaning towards a container cabin build of some sort.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My son in law put one on their land. They love it. Got a septic system installed. Ran power and water to the pad. Then they put the container on it and hooked it all up. I can connect you if you want to.

Their container was already built out with bunks, bath, kitchen, storage/work room. Two adults and two small kids and it worked great.

EDIT - also, right now is prime time for feeding protein. Deer drop their antlers in late Feb, early March, and begin growing new ones immediately.

Last edited:

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Might want to think about a pole barn over your RV. Will add several years to its lifespan
    I know everything is more expensive now days, but a roof to park that RV under will save it's roof, and cut way back on power needs to run the AC. I lived in a camper about that size the first two years after I bought my place, until we could get a house built.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Any suggestions on water lines? I Have to run about 1200 feet from the meter to my travel trailer. What's better? One inch pvc or that coiled plastic tubing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Any suggestions on water lines? I Have to run about 1200 feet from the meter to my travel trailer. What's better? One inch pvc or that coiled plastic tubing.

I have no idea about the coiled plastic tubing, but I'll give my the same advice my father gave me about a water line and what he used. 1" Schedule 40 PVC. It's going to still be usable for your grandchildren.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Top Bottom