• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I think the spray could get you into hot water if you had to use your gun imo. That is why everyone is telling you to lose it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Why? Is there some law in Texas that could get me in trouble for using non-lethal instead of lethal force or are you talking about the potential for bodily harm if I chose to incapacitate instead of kill? If it's the latter then I'm not sure I agree. I don't believe that every altercation you can't get out of should always end in gunfire... at least not from my experience. When someone approached my wife and me in California it was pretty clear that it was a misunderstanding. He thought my wife's car had scraped his earlier and he was distraught. My wife was pregnant at the time and as he approached I alerted him to that fact but he kept coming. He had no weapon, was about my weight though a little taller but I didn't want to risk a scuffle that might endanger my wife. I sprayed him when it was obvious there was no defusing the situation. It worked like a charm and our neighbors saw the whole thing. His demeanor changed instantly after the spraying and when the effects wore off I showed him my wife's car to see that there was no damage that would indicate she had hit his vehicle.

He apologized and explained that he was distraught because that had been the second time it happened to his car in three months. That was the end of it. Granted, in California that was our only option since conceal carry licenses are nearly impossible to obtain. Old habits die hard and as I said earlier pepper spray has worked for me in the past as a non-lethal option. Again, if its use could land me in legal trouble in Texas then that's a different story altogether...
    Guns International

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Pilgrim, he may have possibly meant that if tou have the pepper/oc spray, and you use a firearm instead because you forgot you had it in the moment, it could be a bad thing.

illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    Pilgrim, he may have possibly meant that if tou have the pepper/oc spray, and you use a firearm instead because you forgot you had it in the moment, it could be a bad thing.

I think this is where they are going, and also the fact that if you PS an attacker and it doesnt stop him forcing you to shoot him....it could look bad in court. I could see an attorney grilling you over how you shot your blinded attacker and he never saw it coming...lol

Sent from the middle if nowhere via Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I put the pepper spray on my weak hand side (just as I did for years in California). Ever since I started carrying legally here in Texas I've been conditioning myself mentally to think of my weak side as the non-lethal side and my strong side (where my pistol sits) as a last resort. All of the drills I do at home and on the range involve going through encounters of different threat levels where I employ either the spray or pistol depending on the situation. I thought it was prudent to train for both lethal and non-lethal scenarios but now you guys got me questioning that approach...

I don't know if I can agree that it should always be lethal.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I think this is where they are going, and also the fact that if you PS an attacker and it doesnt stop him forcing you to shoot him....it could look bad in court. I could see an attorney grilling you over how you shot your blinded attacker and he never saw it coming...lol

Sent from the middle if nowhere via Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I don't think I would use the spray in a situation where going to my pistol would have been the fallback plan such as in a case where the aggressor is armed or much bigger than me. Nor would I resort to the spray when multiple aggressors are involved. The parameters in which I would employ pepper spray are narrow but to me it's another option.

I would love for the lawyers and LEOs on the forum to weigh in on this...

Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I put the pepper spray on my weak hand side (just as I did for years in California). Ever since I started carrying legally here in Texas I've been conditioning myself mentally to think of my weak side as the non-lethal side and my strong side (where my pistol sits) as a last resort. All of the drills I do at home and on the range involve going through encounters of different threat levels where I employ either the spray or pistol depending on the situation. I thought it was prudent to train for both lethal and non-lethal scenarios but now you guys got me questioning that approach...

I don't know if I can agree that it should always be lethal.

Why does drawing your gun have to be lethal? Its the threat of lethal force. I agree that it might be misconstrued if you were ever to need to use your gun. I would ditch the spray.

I would also ditch one of the mags personally since that just would feel like too much for me. Then again, I'm not used to it like you are since I can't carry at work. If it works for you then go for it.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A lot of people go way overboard here IMO. Some things are a good idea, and it's always good to try and plan for the unexpected, but each person has to decide at what point it's just too much and what makes sense for themselves. Kind of like preppers that have a millennium worth of food supply, a billion rounds of ammo, a bunker....but are so morbidly obese they're at risk of dropping dead just from lifting the cheeseburger to their mouths, and lives in financial ruin to the point where they'll probably lose everything long before any excrement hits any fan enough to use any of it...

I carry a gun, a reload, and a blade.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    OP, do you see all of the controversy on just a forum caused by the OC spray? Now, just imagine that in a courtroom, and it WILL happen.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    So recently I took a step back and assessed what I carry on a day-to-day basis. I started wondering if I'm carrying too many things in my EDC. Here's what's on me when I step out the door each day...

photo_zpsa31dc187.jpg

Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Holster (1911 fanatics please contain yourselves)
    2 magazines (because two is better than one, right?)
    1 Fenix LD22 Flashlight (don't know why I carry one during the day...)
    1 Fox Labs Pepper Spray (because I think having a non-lethal option is good... holster coming soon)
    1 Leatherman Wingman (can't do without this... use it almost every day)
    1 Kershaw Chill (small and light - almost as useful as the wingman)
    1 Wallet (not pictured)
    1 Cellphone (taking the picture)
    Car Keys (not pictured)
    You're not nuts. I carry...
    HK-P30, 1 mag
    5.11 ATAC L1 flashlight
    SOG Aegis
    Gerber multitool
    Gerber Shard on para cord whip
    32gb flash drive
    Wallet
    Keys
    Phone

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    A lot of people go way overboard here IMO. Some things are a good idea, and it's always good to try and plan for the unexpected, but each person has to decide at what point it's just too much and what makes sense for themselves. Kind of like preppers that have a millennium worth of food supply, a billion rounds of ammo, a bunker....but are so morbidly obese they're at risk of dropping dead just from lifting the cheeseburger to their mouths, and lives in financial ruin to the point where they'll probably lose everything long before any excrement hits any fan enough to use any of it...

I carry a gun, a reload, and a blade.

TL;DR Sig_Fiend says you're fat and carry too much stuff.

Lol, jk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    OP, do you see all of the controversy on just a forum caused by the OC spray? Now, just imagine that in a courtroom, and it WILL happen.

Duly noted.

I carry pepper spray because I've had positive experience with it in the past and it quickly resolved the situation without permanent injury to everyone involved. I've never had to pull out my gun on anyone (much less pull the trigger) so I can't comment on the effectiveness of drawing a pistol on intimidation factor alone. Granted, in California we had NO other option for resolving a potentially violent confrontation that escalates to the point of aggressive action. In both instances (the dog and the distraught man) no one was hurt or killed and it never went into litigation. Obviously, here in Texas we have the option of deadly force or the threat thereof so I'll have to do a little more research to see if pepper spray still has its advantages here. If the cons outweigh the pros then I might consider dropping the spray out of my EDC.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the feedback. We strayed a little off the topic of EDC overload but I was happy to have the discussion. Can't say I'll change any of my other carry options but it's good to hear how you guys feel about it.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    That's a lot more stuff than I carry. I wonder if having so many options might actually be counter-productive to your personal safety. In a situation where the bad actor is "dusted" or on Bath salts the pepper spray will be ineffectual and you just wasted your one chance to stop him.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

You watch too much TV

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That's a lot more stuff than I carry. I wonder if having so many options might actually be counter-productive to your personal safety. In a situation where the bad actor is "dusted" or on Bath salts the pepper spray will be ineffectual and you just wasted your one chance to stop him.

Actually never thought of this.....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I actually carry more (but different) stuff than you do, but I hate hanging stuff off my belt. Not sure what it is about it, but I just don't like the "batman utility belt" thing. I make liberal use of pockets, lol...

I only carry pepper spray when I have to leave my pistol behind.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    You're not nuts. I carry...
    HK-P30, 1 mag
    5.11 ATAC L1 flashlight
    SOG Aegis
    Gerber multitool
    Gerber Shard on para cord whip
    32gb flash drive
    Wallet
    Keys
    Phone

Umm...so you carry one less magazine than me (I only carry one when I'm not going anywhere sketchy) and no pepper spray but you carry an extra knife with paracord plus a flash drive and I'm crazy? Ahhh...pot...kettle...black :)

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    TL;DR Sig_Fiend says you're fat and carry too much stuff.

Lol, jk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I like to think of myself as "girth-challenged"... kinda like you being cerebrally-challenged. J/K :)

And who cares what Sig says about me? It's not like he's a forum administrator or something..... oh wait.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Umm...so you carry one less magazine than me (I only carry one when I'm not going anywhere sketchy) and no pepper spray but you carry an extra knife with paracord plus a flash drive and I'm crazy? Ahhh...pot...kettle...black :)

Actually, I made the same mistake you did at first, too.
    He said "You're NOT nuts", if you go back & look....

Top Bottom