Capitol Armory ad

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Does that mean every light pole could have a charging station or two if there was enough power to feed them?
    Well, not EVERY pole; but quite a few of them can be. Most luminaires are rated for 240 (max 277) VAC anyway.

And all this excess electricity is coming from...........
    .... well that is the question we are currently trying to solve.

Reactions: gll

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    For one, we don't get bypassed.
    Right now I-10 is a major E/W artery for the country and I-40 is a close second. It allows goods and services to move in and out of our state quickly by truck.
    I guess I don’t see this have a major impact, or really any at all on that. So if that’s it, then I’d just assume not waste time and money on something that’s pretty much destined for failure.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I guess I don’t see this have a major impact, or really any at all on that. So if that’s it, then I’d just assume not waste time and money on something that’s pretty much destined for failure.
    There will always be opponents...
    We either adapt or get left behind.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    There will always be opponents...
    We either adapt or get left behind.
    That’s a matter of opinion, which I think the Swiss, among others would disagree with. We are for the most part one EO away from not needing to adapt to anything, and short of wanting to brag about out liberaling the liberals there seems to be no real reason to care about doing this before them. If people want to lead the EV change they should go to California.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    That’s a matter of opinion, which I think the Swiss, among others would disagree with. We are for the most part one EO away from not needing to adapt to anything, and short of wanting to brag about out liberaling the liberals there seems to be no real reason to care about doing this before them. If people want to lead the EV change they should go to California.

who's leading anything I bought a truck that fits my needs,

I don't give 2 cents for twisted political views.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    EVs only make sense for people who don't drive anywhere.
    Or restrict travel to your local.
    Yeah, that's right. But for some folks a vehicle with a 150 mile range used exclusively close to home is perfect.

That wouldn't be the case for most regular folks but where it's a good idea, it's a very good idea. For their intended mission, I really doubt these things can be bettered by any ICE-powered vehicle:

I conclude that in some market segments, EVs are ready to take over now. They're nowhere near a one-to-one replacement for ICE vehicles but they definitely have their niche(s).

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    That’s a matter of opinion, which I think the Swiss, among others would disagree with.
    The Amish community too.

If people want to lead the EV change they should go to California.
    I wouldn't be caught dead there.
    Personally, I prefer gasoline and diesel still; but the fact remains that the EV/AF movement is coming ready or not.

I don't care what EOs come down the line from the potato, I will not sell my F350.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Yeah, that's right. But for some folks a vehicle with a 150 mile range used exclusively close to home is perfect.

That wouldn't be the case for most regular folks but where it's a good idea, it's a very good idea. For their intended mission, I really doubt these things can be bettered by any ICE-powered vehicle:

I conclude that in some market segments, EVs are ready to take over now. They're nowhere near a one-to-one replacement for ICE vehicles but they definitely have their niche(s).

I've said it before and it made a lot of people get upset but the average person's daily commute is less than 75 miles round trip. I understand averages and some people do a 400 miles daily trip with a 20,000lb trailer, and others have a 2 mile commute. I think it was Exxon or BP that pointed out if a plug-in hybrid vehicle with a 75 mile battery and an ICE engine it would eliminate something like 85% of total gasoline used for average drivers. Now, if you're not the type to take regular road trips a 200 mile range EV would satisfy the great majority of your driving needs saving on any gasoline costs, electricity grid notwithstanding. Many auto makers are making them with 300-400 mile ranges because bigger numbers make consumers pay for; its just like 75% of pickup truck owners never towing anything heavier than their mother in law once a year.

Having an EV as a "second car" for commuting daily and spending far less in electricity than gasoline or diesel seems the way to go if the goal is to just use less gasoline. However I'll be the first to point out a 2nd car is a luxury item as it is very expensive just to own it. But again, if I own a house, drive 20 miles to work, 20 miles back, rarely take road trips, and just need an appliance to get around town then EVs start looking really attractive. The downsides are obvious compared to ICE: limited range, charging can be a pain, and for now it can seem more dangerous having a giant battery in your garage.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    They are much less complex. No oil changes or tune ups required. No transmissions to maintain or rebuild
    Wrong.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    4865227E-FA3C-42B0-853D-0833E9409A96.jpeg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I conclude that in some market segments, EVs are ready to take over now.
    I agree. Short range delivery and fleet vehicles are a perfect use case for them. The companies probably happily co-opt the spyware in them, too.

Anytime I get a three day weekend, I'm heading somewhere out of state, tho... It's a 16hr drive (one way) to my place in CO. Do it in a single day. That includes fill ups.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Finally, I have one good thing to say about electric cars. What is it? At the very least they are not powered by the most dangerous thing that you could power a vehicle with.

Imagine an automotive fuel with a molecule so small that it cannot be contained. How small is it? How about the smallest molecule in the known universe!

What is it? hydrogen fuel. Never let anyone talk you into buying a hydrogen powered vehicle. All garages will become explosive fire traps. Accidents will become a lot more interesting.

Do not confuse hydrogen with CNG. Compressed Natural Gas is a safe and widely used and clean burning auto fuel that is cheaper than gasoline.

Top Bottom