Lynx Defense

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    don't work so well in the cold.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technol...freezing-cold-a-bunch-of-dead-robots-out-here

Desperate Tesla owners in and around Chicago were seen trying to charge their vehicles with no luck amid frigid temperatures that have gripped the Midwest.
    Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Why own one of those nasty hydrocarbon burning ICE cars when as an alternative you can save the planet and walk when it is 10 degrees outside?

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I was reading about this a few minutes ago. It happens every year when it gets cold, especially up north. One(of the many) limitations of the batteries is that they must be above a certain temperature for them to take a charge. They will also use a significant amount of energy in an attempt to stay warm, which also prevents them from taking a charge.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1705805953450.png

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You still have a battery to replace in 5 years & it won't be cheap. I know several people that bought a Prius. When the battery died it was 5k for the battery + labor if your not a do it yourself type. I'm not much on the whole electric cars yet. Especially when the US government & other countries gives million of dollars to Tesla in subsidies.

This all compares to Tesla reporting a $312 million profit for the third quarter. Subtract the $713 million in U.S. subsidies, and Tesla's results would be far weaker. Add in the international subsidies received from countries such as Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands and the U.K., and the situation would look even worse.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/inv...in-product-isn-t-cars-it-s-subsidies-14769263
    That article is over five years old.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Interesting read by Jason Rantz about getting stuck out in the boonies in the middle of the night while driving to a wedding and back on a three-hour roundtrip due to no chargers. IMO the electric fad is winding down and this is just one of many reasons it's a hard pass for folks.

Stranded in EV in the middle of nowhere
    I can't read the article because Fox demands I see ads and give an email, but how much of an idiot do you need to be not to charge the vehicle when you get there, or plan your route ahead to avoid being stranded in the middle of nowhere? It'd be like going out on my motorcycle of about 150 miles of total range, then crying because I'm on the side of the road after not watching my fuel level in the middle of rural wherever.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I can't read the article because Fox demands I see ads and give an email, but how much of an idiot do you need to be not to charge the vehicle when you get there, or plan your route ahead to avoid being stranded in the middle of nowhere? It'd be like going out on my motorcycle of about 150 miles of total range, then crying because I'm on the side of the road after not watching my fuel level in the middle of rural wherever.
    That's the point....there were no chargers where he was and it was a rental. He couldn't get back to where the nearest chargers were before it ran out of juice in the middle of the night. Your motorcycle uses gas that is available everywhere. Poor analogy.

I get you don't want to put your email in to read the article. But it's ridiculous to post shit in response to an article that you never read.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Jan 19 (Reuters) - Ford Motor (F.N), opens new tab said on Friday it would reduce production of its F-150 Lightning pickup truck, as demand for electric vehicles (EVs) has been lower than expected.
    The No. 2 U.S. automaker said it would cut production at its Michigan Rouge Electric Vehicle Center to one shift starting April 1. In October, the automaker said it would temporarily cut one of three shifts at the Michigan plant that builds the electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck
    So by April they will have cut production by two thirds.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That's the point....there were no chargers where he was and it was a rental.

He’s a dumbass for accepting an EV from the rental car company, especially if he didn’t reserve it or did and didn’t do his due diligence.

Herrz tried to give me an EV when we were in SD last summer. I asked them if they were drunk and told them to give me the ICE large SUV I reserved. The counter guy tried to convince me I would prefer the EV; I asked if he had a hearing problem. I got the keys to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Top Bottom