DK Firearms

Enough of This Negative News! This if for the Old Guys!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    And Tomball was a tiny community way out in the sticks.
    After I got out of the service, lived on Holdereith RD, off of what was then 149, on a 60 acre tract by the railroad tracks. Was shoeing and training horses. Back when Goodson’s was a tiny building with six tables, still served what was then really the best damned chicken fried steak in Texas, and the outhouse was out back.
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    After I got out of the service, lived on Holdereith RD, off of what was then 149, on a 60 acre tract by the railroad tracks. Was shoeing and training horses. Back when Goodson’s was a tiny building with six tables, still served what was then really the best damned chicken fried steak in Texas, and the outhouse was out back.
    I have eaten at Goodson's in Tomball some years ago, back in the 1990's. Yes, one of the best CFS dinners I have ever eaten.

Did they build a new building in the same place as the old one or move o a different location?

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have eaten at Goodson's in Tomball some years ago, back in the 1990's. Yes, one of the best CFS dinners I have ever eaten.

Did they build a new building in the same place as the old one or move o a different location?
    Haven’t been there in years, but IIRC Goodson’s moved to a location in downtown Tomball. What ruined it was when the liberal asses at Texas Monthly declared it the “The Best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas” (which it was), and it suddenly was so full of transplants from Houston you couldn’t get in the door for the long lines into a six table restaurant way out in the country.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Haven’t been there in years, but IIRC Goodson’s moved to a location in downtown Tomball. What ruined it was when the liberal asses at Texas Monthly declared it the “The Best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas” (which it was), and it suddenly was so full of transplants from Houston you couldn’t get in the door for the long lines into a six table restaurant way out in the country.
    They also had a place right off the feeder road at Gessner and I-10, almost right across the interstate from Memorial City Mall. It was in the front of the Kroger's parking lot.

I'd walk over from my apartment at least once a week to eat there. Took me about five minutes to walk there, and about thirty minutes to walk back after eating!

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    They also had a place right off the feeder road at Gessner and I-10, almost right across the interstate from Memorial City Mall. It was in the front of the Kroger's parking lot.

I'd walk over from my apartment at least once a week to eat there. Took me about five minutes to walk there, and about thirty minutes to walk back after eating!
    IIRC the Goodson family raised their own beef and owned a butcher shop? Still to this day haven’t had a better, or bigger, chicken fried steak. The proverbial steak, bigger than the platter, with the fries and gravy on top never touching the plate. My lunch, on many a hot summer day, after shoeing all morning in a hot Texas pasture, And a quart of cold Colt 45 to go with it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Raquel Welch (1,000,000 B.C.) and Bridget Bardot (On a Chopper) 1970 bedroom posters.
    Remember this one?

poster.jpeg

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In 74 I was stationed in northern Cali. Had a bud that always bragged about his 1967 Impala. How perfect it was, but it stayed at home in LA. I gave him a ride there once and saw the car. it was sky blue and perfect. Nice as I"d ever seen. he brought it back north with him and we took it one day to get chow. while we were eating it had a carburetor fire that burnt it to the ground. He cried

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    We built a couple of "soapbox" cars to go down a neighbor hood hill. The hill was steep and hadn't been graded in a while. It was so rough that nobody ever made it to the bottom.

One summer in middle school we cleared pricklie pears from a lot, smoothed it out, bought a net and a couple of tennis rackets. Played a few times and walked away. A bud's mom tried to give me the net in 1970. LOL!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Usually Texas Monthly doesn't know crap about anything.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I looked for but couldn't find a clip of Steve Martin telling that joke where Farrah Fawcett snubbed him at a party and he complained "...and after all that time I spent holding up her poster with one hand!"

Instead, I'll just settle for an early screengrab. :)

Screenshot from 2021-08-12 08-16-26.png

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Do they still have Soap Box derbies or are they now all digitally designed and computer manufactured carbon fiber stealth units?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do they still have Soap Box derbies or are they now all digitally designed and computer manufactured carbon fiber stealth units?
    Fascinating subject, actually. Yes, there are soap box derbies and they still have those Pinewood derby races, too. Read up on the designs. They've gotten really sophisticated.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom