Eotech vs. Aimpoint

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 40Arpent, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If there is already a thread here that outlines any sort of comparison, please point me in that direction. If not, please give me your thoughts, as I am torn between going HWS or red dot for my ARs and my SOCOM II.

Thanks,

Pete

2. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have 2 Eotech's, a 512 and a 511 for my AR's. I like the Eotech, but both companies produce a great product. It really comes down to personal preference. The sight picture is different when you look through them. I prefer the more 'open' style of the Eotech. Battery life isn't an issue with either brand. I would suggest putting your hands on both and looking through them to see what you prefer. The Eotech is more versatile to me, since it has unlimited eye relief (easier for me to use no matter where I mount it).

3. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Trijicon Reflex RX30-23

ETA: For your two choices, I would probably go with the Aimpoint just because of the battery life. I think I have left every battery powered optic I own on at one point.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I prefer the Eotech for what I do. It has a 1 MOA center reticle and a 65 MOA outer ring. It is VERY fast for getting on target in CQB conditions, and the center reticle is only 3 inches at 300 yards, making shots at that distance easier.

I think the Aimpoint can now be had with a 2 MOA reticle, making 300 yard shots show a 6 inch dot.

Here is a pic thru my Eotech;

[​IMG]

And if I ever pull a boner and let the batteries go dead, I have an A2 style flip up BUIS

[​IMG]

5. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx

When I pull a boner it doesn't have anything to do with the batteries going dead.

6. tussery

tussery Active Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I have nothing against EOTech and they probably are great I just chose to go with an Aimpoint ML3 2MOA. I personally like the single dot of the Aimpoint. FOV doesn't bother me as I am slightly more left eye dominant so my FOV is not obstructed much by the smaller Aimpoint aperture.

7. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks guys, much aprreciated!!!

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    The current version F of the Eotech:
    Battery Life:
    1,000 continuous hours (lithium) at nominal setting 12;
    600 continuous with AA alkaline

9. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    From some of the online browsing I have been doing, I think that Aimpoint battery life is claimed to be something like 50,000 hours...surely that doesn't compare straight across to the 1,000 hours of the Eotech, right?

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't know. With the Eotech and normal shooting, the batteries will probably go stale before they die from use.

If the Aimpoint batty lasts 50,000 hours (5.7 years) if left on, then I guess the batteries will last their shelf life....unless you leave it on for 5.7 years?

It's kind of a moot point for either, since the batteries are cheap, readily available, and last a long, long time. I would not use that as a criteria for purchase. The average person may use it 2hrs. a week, at best. That works out to 100 hours a year of use.

I would get what is easier for me to aim through.